Beginners and Beyond

Flu shot.....Yea or Nay??? (Read 580 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I got mine while dressed as a Nazi wearing a fuel belt during a 5k marathon.

You people have issues 

I got mine while dressed as a Nazi wearing a fuel belt during a 5k marathon.

NOT while running hand in hand with three other people across? Weak.

StepbyStep-SH

Didn't get one, and may or may not have ended up with the flu last week. I only had one day of fever/chills/body aches before it turned into this congestion/cough/sinus infection yuck.

I have friends here who did get the shot, yet still ended up with influenza (confirmed). Probably more who avoided because they did get the shot.

I'm not going to argue it either way.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

I heard from one of cousins on facebook that the flu shot causes autism.

I heard from one of cousins on facebook that the flu shot causes autism.

And this thread was going so well.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm not protesting, or trying to make a statement.  I'm just stubborn.  I've never had a flu shot, and don't plan on getting one this year.  It's kind of like the reason I didn't do laundry for the first 33 years of my life.  I'm just seeing how long I can get away with it.  I don't get the flu.  Maybe it's my immune system.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  Maybe this will be the year.

That being said, I don't work at the office.  So, when the office gave free flu shots, and someone ended up getting the flu anyway I found it ironic.  I know of 3 people who have had flu shots the last couple of years and gotten the flu.  I was just informed last week by a med student that there is a strain of the flu going around that the flu shot will not protect you from.  It's not 100%.

I'll say this.  I hope you all get the flu shot so that I don't have to.  I've got a 36 year streak going.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

You DID wash you hands before eating that popcorn, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU???!!!

Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

kettledrum

If you want to get one, then get one, if you don't then don't.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Just to add a data point, I get a flu shot every year.  The only year I didn't get one was the year of the H1N1 swine flu in fall of '09 when there were vaccine shortages and I couldn't get one.  That also happens to be the only year in my adult life in which I got the flu.    Coincidence?  Could very well be.  But I figure I might as well give myself the best chance I can at avoiding it.  I personally have nothing against vaccinations.  There are those that do, and that's okay too!

Okay two rhymes in one post must be two times too many.

Every year I get the flu shot, and so does my 7 year old.

My husband has never had one.

He will never talk me out of getting that shot, and I will never convince him he needs one.

RSX

I get it just about every year. Last time I had the flu was probably the 80's.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I'm amazed the thread went this long without the obligatory "The only time I ever got the flu was when I got the shot". This could be the longest thread/conversation about the flu shot ever without that phrase being used. We did have the autism bunk mentioned, but I think that was sarcastic.

As for me, my son and I both got the shot this year (we always do), and we both got the flu. But it was short lived and not very severe, due to a combination of the vaccine and getting on tamiflu early on. Wiped us out for about 2 days but then we were fine. More like a bad cold. (Flu was confirmed by lab test) Our Dr. said there are some strains that slipped by the vaccine this year, it happens. But 90%+ of the cases he's seen this year are unvaccinated people.

We'll be getting it next year. IMO the benefits far outweigh the minimal risks. I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what they should do, though it does make me sad so many base the decision on limited or faulty info.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Not quite.

the three components are based on a prediction of the most likely strains for the coming season.

Specifically for the Northern Hemisphere season (2012-2013)

• an A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus;
                          • an A/Victoria/361/2011 (H3N2)-like virus;
                          • a B/Wisconsin/1/2010-like virus.

That's one strain from each of the last three seasons.

The H3N2 (which is based off last season's) is the dominant one right now, and its nasty.

Does this mean this years flu shot won't protect you from the nasty H3N2 ?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

xor

That being said, I don't work at the office.  So, when the office gave free flu shots, and someone ended up getting the flu anyway I found it ironic.  I know of 3 people who have had flu shots the last couple of years and gotten the flu.  I was just informed last week by a med student that there is a strain of the flu going around that the flu shot will not protect you from.  It's not 100%.

I'll say this.  I hope you all get the flu shot so that I don't have to.  I've got a 36 year streak going.

Si, there's some good-to-know info linked earlier in the thread.

Good streak you have!

Funny how herd immunity works Smile

Edited to add: Yes, I'm aware herd immunity is not particularly relevant to the flu.

Sharz96

I've never had the flu, only colds in varying degrees of severity, and I didn't even get them very often until I started working in offices and riding public transportaion. I absolutely hate needles.  I don't even like the little blood drawing you need for cholesterol tests.  I got a flu shot once, years ago, when it was particularly cheap and convenient--and was reminded how much I needles.  Plus I felt yuckky and exhausted for the next few days.  For no discernable benefit.  I doubt I'll get it again.  Maybe if I ever truly get the flu it'll be bad enough to be worth needles and yuckky to improve my chances of avoiding it again.  But so far, no way.