Beginners and Beyond

Flu shot.....Yea or Nay??? (Read 580 times)

Another prediction would involve whether this thread will go meta or not.

(meta = someone starts a "thread about the thread")

PS, get a flu shot.

PPS, if I get the flu right now, minimally I'm in the hospital and there's a reasonable chance it'll kill me dead.  These threads weird me out.

THIS!

Doing my job,  I deal with patients receiving chemo all day long.  I make visits to my patients on the Bone Marrow Transplant unit on a regular basis.  I get my flu shot, wash my hands, sanitize constantly.  I do everything I can to make sure I am not putting my patients life at risk.

They have enough to deal with.  They should not have to worry about me causing them harm.

Also, in the last week, we have had 6 positive flu tests on post transplant patients.  It is going to be a bad year.

Happy to be running

I have never got the flu shot even though my employer offers it free and I have been working there 15 years. I'm not sure if I have ever had the flu so that means probably I haven't. I have had some bad colds.

I am paranoid of a mass goverment offered immunization program. I know...

New runner base building for my first marathon 

I have run 2 half marathons 1:52:42 & 1:58:00

Every year I had a flu shot, I was sick. This year, I've yet to have it. I'm the only one at work who hasn't taken a sick day.

Coastal

I get the shot.

fimmx

I can't remember if I ever got the flu shot. We didn't used to do flu shots in India,Ian's then never got into the habit here. DH does most years, kids do every year. I'm just lazy.

Sloooow.

Other half used to have to get it at his old company, he's a medic. The last year he had it, he had arm pain from the vaccination for several months afterwards. He hasn't had the flu in the 6 years we've been together (thanks God, he's bad enough with a cold).

I have never had a flu shot, neither have the kids. I try to keep their immune systems strong and healthy. Youngest still nurses, which helps. I've had the flu once, when I was pregnant. I thought I was coming down with the flu 2 weeks a go (couple of days of 104 fever), but it's turned out to be a drawn out shitty bad cold.

Jnfr Jogs

I get the flu vaccine every year.  I remember having the Hong Kong flu as a kid - I honestly wondered if it was possible to cough yourself to death. Then I worried that it was not.

During the H1N1 pandemic, my adult son came down with the flu so severely that he was hospitalized & put into an induced coma in order to save his life.  He was a big, strong strapping young man that didn't bother to try to get vaccinated that year - never again, he swears.

And as for the elderly - I've heard some people say they won't get the shot, and if the elderly are so worried they should get themselves vaccinated. Well the flu vaccine is nearly ineffective in the elderly - they are still dying in the same numbers as before due to being exposed to the flu out in public.  And compromised immune systems make people like our beloved SRL unable to receive any benefit from a flu shot - how scary to depend on the good health practices of the masses!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I got mine last month. Several days later I got sick. ........ It was not the flu. I also work with the public, including kids, at a bookstore so I am constantly handling everything from magazines to toys to credit cards that have been handled by others.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bobruns

I got one last year and this year.  It's free and I can only hope it helps.  DH never has.  He just got over the flu.  He was God aweful sick for 3 weeks.   He may reconsider next year.  He may not.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I got one last year and this year.  It's free and I can only hope it helps.  DH never has.  He just got over the flu.  He was God aweful sick for 3 weeks.   He may reconsider next year.  He may not.

I used to never get it just due to laziness/inconvenience. Being basically laid up in bed for 2 weeks 7 or 8 years ago convinced me it was worth the trouble. Full blown flu is a miserable experience Dead

BIS

High Horse

I took no end of crap at L&O for not getting vaccinated every year and stating publicly that I will not be injected with formaldehyde and aluminum to reduce the chance of getting the flu (which I have not had in many many years)

Apparently I am a monster capable of killing babies and old people. Evil

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

xor

No, that is absolutely not why you took a bunch of crap.  The fact that you come in here and state it that way just kind of underscores why you DID take a bunch of crap.

Buelligan

Look what getting a flu shot did to this girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwlRwGQl5x4

Clown

monkkey

Got mine... would not really care if I got the flu but I would feel irresponsible transmitting it to others (who might have a legit reason not to get the vaccine).

I used to be one of those "I never get the vaccine and I never get the flu!" types, but probably I never got the flu because enough responsible people around me were getting the vaccine and protecting me too.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Got mine... would not really care if I got the flu but I would feel irresponsible transmitting it to others (who might have a legit reason not to get the vaccine).

I used to be one of those "I never get the vaccine and I never get the flu!" types, but probably I never got the flu because enough responsible people around me were getting the vaccine and protecting me too.

Wow.  I like you.

Angela