Beginners and Beyond

Flu shot.....Yea or Nay??? (Read 580 times)

B-Plus

Wow.  I like you.

As a vegan, don't you have an issue with taking the shot? Or do you get the spray? If a remember correctly, the spray is fine but the shot isn't vegan. I'm veg, but I doubt I'll ever go vegan because:

1. I'm too lazy; and

2. It would be too hypocritical of me with all the animal products I wear.

^^ Yikes, after re-reading this I can see that one may interpret me as calling you a hypocrite if you call yourself vegan and you get the shot. I'm not. I am just interested in your thought process, that's all. I always feel so guilty when I put on my down-filled jacket that one time every year it gets cold enough. Strangely enough, I don't think twice about wearing leather or eating dairy, etc.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, 48 hours after posting this thread, I'm sick!  Unfreakinbelievable!!!

I don't know if it's flu but I was coughing last night and feel a little weak this morning and a bit feverish.

Nice, eh? Black eyeDead

Randy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Forum transmitted disease ?

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

LOL! You're right!

Oh, and for the record, Nay! Every time I've gotten a flu shot, I've gotten sick afterwards. Running is my flu shot.

Reminds me of the time I had a  Rubella vaccine in college. (we had an outbreak)  Wonderful time that one, I have never been more ill in my life, high fever, vomiting, chills etc.  all the crap of the red measles without actually having the skin symptoms.  This was during finals week, mom nearly forced me to leave and go to the hospital and would have had I not been so insistent to finish my exams. 

RSX

I went to CVS last night and there were ten people waiting for flu shots.

GinnyinPA

I've never had a flu shot, and have only had the flu twice in my life, the last time over 20 years ago.  I seem to have some natural immunity, plus I don't spend a lot of time around children or in large groups.

OTOH, my father was hospitalized at Thanksgiving with the flu.  It was a nasty one.

All the publicity about how bad the flu is this year has me nervous, so I could change my mind about getting the shot.  My husband is resistant, because the last time he had a flu shot he got sick as a result so he has refused to get one for the past decade. 

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

My local newscast just said that the flu virus can live up to 2 hours on a door knob.   Believe it or not.......

Don't believe everything you think. 

PragmaticRnnr

Fitness Jogger

I got the shot a few months ago.

I had the flu about 12 years ago.  I'll never forget it.  I had a high fever, throwing up, chills, didn't get out of bed for 5 days, felt like crap overall, etc.  I went to the Urgent Care center finally and they confirmed I had the flu.  Gave me meds and I still felt bad for another 2 weeks.  I'll never forget that.  Ugh.

I now have a slight cold.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

.  My husband is resistant, because the last time he had a flu shot he got sick as a result so he has refused to get one for the past decade. 

Getting sick soon after the shot is not the same as getting sick as a result of the shot. It's easy to connect the 2 events but it's really not possible to get sick from the vaccine.

monkkey

Getting sick soon after the shot is not the same as getting sick as a result of the shot. It's easy to connect the 2 events but it's really not possible to get sick from the vaccine.

True for flu.  In contrast, rubella is a live vaccine so I totally believe that slymoon got sick from it.

GC100k

Inspired by this thread, I got the first flu shot of my life yesterday.

Village people

It's not supposed to work as well.

I also have never gotten the flu.

The mist is better than the shot.

Docket_Rocket

Really?  We had a meeting with the nurse and she said otherwise.  I'll ask her to clarify.

The mist is better than the shot.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Village people

Really?  We had a meeting with the nurse and she said otherwise.  I'll ask her to clarify.

I just specifically asked the nurse. Someone is wrong.

Just did some peeking. Maybe the efficacy differs between adults and children.

StepbyStep-SH

Not sure how it would impact the efficacy, but I am pretty sure the flu mist is a modified live virus, while the shot is a killed virus.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.