Beginners and Beyond

Flu shot.....Yea or Nay??? (Read 580 times)

quick google search...

FluMist vs. Flu Shots

There are also some differences between FluMist and flu shots that may influence a parent's decision between the two, such as:

• Price - in general, FluMist is a little more expensive than a flu shot, although most insurance companies have started to pay for FluMist, so your cost may not be any different.
    • Live vs. Killed Viruses - a big difference between FluMist and the flu shot is that FluMist is made with live influenza viruses. They are weakened and won't actually give your child the flu, though.
    • Nasal Congestion - since FluMist is given as a nose spray, some experts think that it may not be as effective if your child is very congested, such as if he has allergies or a cold.
    • Thimerosal - FluMist does not contain preservative thimerosal. Although a preservative-free flu shot is available, it is not as widely available as the regular flu shot with thimerosal, so your pediatrician may not have it.

Is FluMist as good as a flu shot, though? Sure it is great to save your child the pain from a flu shot, even if FluMist is a little bit more expensive, knowing it is as good or better than a flu shot, would likely make the decision between the two easier for parents.

Although many experts initially thought Flumist would be effective, several studies have already shown that FluMist may actually work better than a flu shot. One that compared the two concluded that "live attenuated influenza vaccine was a safe and more effective alternative to inactivated vaccine."

Research also shows that it may offer longer and better protection against mismatched strains, such as when the flu vaccine doesn't exactly cover the flu virus strains that are going around that year.

Also, this from Dr. Google...

The Nasal Flu Vaccine (FluMist)

This flu vaccine is sprayed into the nose. While it is a live vaccine, the virus has been weakened so that it cannot cause the flu, though you may experience flu-like symptoms. 

Side effects: Usually minor, although they can be more severe than the side effects of the flu shot. In adults, side effects include runny nose, headache, sore throat, and cough; in children, side effects also include wheezing, vomiting, fever, and muscle aches.

The nasal vaccine can be used in:

• Anyone between the ages of 2 and 49 who is generally healthy and not pregnant

The nasal vaccine should not be used in:

• Children under 2 years old
      • Children or adolescents who are taking aspirin
      • Adults 50 years old or above
      • Children or adults who have heart disease, lung disease (like asthma), diabetes, kidney disease, Guillain-Barré syndrome, or an immune system weakened by disease or by its treatment
      • Anyone with a history of a severe allergic reaction to eggs or a previous flu vaccine
      • Pregnant women
      • People who are in contact with someone who has an immune system severely weakened by a treatment, such as a stem cell transplant; it is safe to get this vaccine if you're in contact with people who have less severely suppressed immune systems, like people with diabetes or HIV.

Pros: The flu nasal spray is easy to take; children (and many adults) might prefer it to getting a flu shot. Also, there is evidence that in young children, FluMist might offer somewhat better protection against the flu than the traditional flu shot.

Cons: There are more restrictions on who can get FluMist, although experts expect some of these will be lifted in the near future. Some research has shown that FluMist may be less effective in the elderly than the flu shot.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well, for whatever it's worth,  I'm using this.....

I felt like crap yesterday and little better today......in fact, I passed out from a standing position while taking a pee at 3am this morning.  Wife freaked out as that's the 2nd time in my life I've done that while sick.  TGIF cuz my arse is gonna lay low like a dog for the next couple days!

I still can't believe I got the flu 2 days after posting this stupid thread!!

Randy

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Last time I got the flu was 12/30/1999 at Disneyworld.  So what happened with Y2K?  I've gotten a shot ever since and I would definitely pay for it, if it wasn't covered by insurance or free at work.

notimeforthat

Had one today with a NASTY pneumonia as a result of influenza. If she doesn't improve after her antibiotic shot and breathing treatments and oral antibiotics tomorrow when they follow up on her in the weekend clinic, then to the hospital she will be headed for an admission.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

The Government Just said the shot only works 62% of the time.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I keep checking this waiting for a meltdown haha. I have never gotten the flu shot. I hate needles #1 and have heard so many stories about people getting sick from the shot or getting the flu anyway. I trust my immune system to take care of what it needs to take care of. I hate the idea about injecting dead viruses into my body to try to trick my body into "thinking" I had the virus already. I'd rather let my immune system do its job naturally.   I have vitamin C, echinacea, green tea, zinc, and other immune system supporting vitamins daily. Maybe I should get the shot..... but I haven't.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Day 3 and I'm still feeling weak.  Felt a little relief yesterday afternoon but I know that mornings and nights are the worst for illness (at least they are for me).

I had the chills, then the sweats, then chills again.  Went to go pee at around 3 am again but no crash this time.  Felt good to get back under the covers and fend off those chills. (I'm literally using like 4 blankets and feels awesome when the warmth comes).

I made sure I slept a good 8-9 hours so we'll see.  Wife's out getting my usual OJ, chicken soup, etc.

Hard to believe I finished 5 fast miles Wednesday night and couldn't imagine running 5 steps right now.  Sad

Randy

But, will you get the flu shot next year?

xor

you arent getting the flu from a flu shot. if you get the shot and get flu anyway, that is yuck... but your immune system would not have helped in that case.  even with a 62% rate...that is good not bad. we do healthy things all the time that improve our existences by tiny fractions and percents. 60 something percent? hell yes

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

But, will you get the flu shot next year?

If I can remember how yuck this feels, I probably will.  However, my human nature sometimes owns me.  Time will tell.

Randy

Coastal

I've heard experts say that most people who have never gotten a flu shot and think they have had the flu but it wasn't so bad (they weren't diagnosed with it) probably didn't really have it.  The flu makes you very, very sick.  All it would take is one slight mutation in the current strains out there and people start dying in large numbers.  Past outbreaks have killed millions.  Future outbreaks will kill millions.

I choose to get the shot for selfish reasons.  I don't want to get the flu. I don't want to lose fitness by being sick for an extended time.  I've already had pneumonia several times (diagnosed with it) and don't want that in addition to the flu.  One of the kids I worked with died from diagnosed H1N1.  I had to read the announcement to rest of the class.  I do not want to do that ever again.

To each his own.  Some will get the shots.  Some won't.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Day 4 significant improvement.  Still not over the irony but fact is certainly stranger than fiction sometimes.

No chills or fever last night.  (still felt bouts of fever breaking til late afternoon yesterday but then stopped).   So body temp feels much more normal now.  Even felt well enough to pull sheets and wash/bleach all + clothing I wore the last 3 days.

Still feel a little weak so gonna continue to lay low and cough/congestion still there so don't want to get aerobic yet but may go for a very short walk in the sun later if I feel any better.

I am not at all a homeopathic guy but if this oscillococcinum had anything to do with feeling better, I'll definitely be reaching for it again.  I know I have no resources to double-blind test my current illness so I know there's no way for me to tell.....just thankful no matter what.

Randy

Zelanie

I've heard experts say that most people who have never gotten a flu shot and think they have had the flu but it wasn't so bad (they weren't diagnosed with it) probably didn't really have it.

I always thought that a bad cold was "the flu" until one year that I really got the flu.  I was down for the count.  I don't think I got out of bed for a week, and none of that watching TV or reading or anything like that.  Just ugh.  So I've gotten a flu shot every year since then.  The rest of my family still doesn't want to get one, but it's up to them.

Randy, hope you are feeling better soon!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I had pneumonia twice.  That's a pain in the butt.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013