Beginners and Beyond

Chillin' Weekend Penguins (Read 24 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Getting ready to head out to my 'Purple Run 5K."  This one is for standing against domestic violence and supports the Women's and Children's Shelter of San Antonio.    Report with photos to follow later.     Then it's football watching time and then down to the San Antonio Alamodome this evening for some tailgating and then my university's football game against U. of Texas El Paso.

Then sleep....and another 5K on Sunday morning, the "Boxer Boogie", supporting  a rescue program for boxers....the dogs, not the fighters...  although some of those fighters could probably use some rescuing.

on my way to badass

Good Morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off Scotty. Your weekend sounds soooo busy. DS has last soccer game today. The sun finally came out and I plan to run 4-5 miles today.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have a run with hubby tonight.  Distance TBD.

Enjoy the 5K, Scotty!

StoneFence, enjoy the game and the run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Rest or maybe CT today.  Race with DH and my friend tomorrow.  I think I'll just run with her the whole time because I can't PR in any case.  My friend's stretch goal is to race it in under an hour, so I'll try to keep her at pretty even 11:55 miles (if I can).  DH's race plan is to stay with me the first 3 miles and then race off for the last two or so.

After tomorrow I'll be qualified for the 2015 NYCM.  Oh boy! =)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, have a fun race (I don't need to tell you that)

StoneFence & Damaris, enjoy your runs later.

sapf, congrats on your qualifying race tomorrow!

I ran 2.5 this morning. Sad  Left shin is hurting a lot; I think I will give it a few days off.  I was inspired by PAD to get a trial membership at a new gym - it's beautiful and doesn't smell bad yet, haha.  So I'm headed to yoga a bit later.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

No run for me today, but DD is running in the big Mt. SAC Invitational and tonight is homecoming. Busy, the way I like it!

PADRunner

Morning Penguins 5 done this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did my 5K this morning in 33:26.   In the 60 - 69 age group, I came in 4th....the guy who came in 3rd beat me in by 19 seconds.  But that's okay, I slowed down a tad on the way to the finish to encourage a young lady, maybe 13 or 14,  and she started running again with me.  We both finished together, and what a big smile she had on her face.   That's all the medal I need.

Full report with photos to follow later.  Right now, lunch, nap, then off to the tailgating and football game.  Go UTSA RoadRunners!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

SRD.  We are on a family outing to Three Floyds Brewery waiting for a table.

Zelanie

Go team TJ!  So happy for everybody involved and hope they're having a great day!

GinnyinPA

Scotty - enjoy the football and pre-game party.  Have a good race tomorrow.

Stonefence - enjoy your run in the sun.

Damaris - have a good run with DH

sapf - hope your race tomorrow is a good one.  Why don't you think you can PR?

Brilliant - sorry your shin is hurting.  New shoes?  Yoga may help stretch it out.

Jack - enjoy your busy day.  Are you helping with the invitational, or just cheering her on?

PAD - good job on the 5.

Jerry - I like your idea of a family outing.  Cheers!

AFM:  I ended up running the 10k this morning after all.  It was on the same course as the one I did in April, so a good test of my fitness. (They changed the course from last year's rolling hills, probably because this weekend is homecoming and there was a parade through town that might have interfered.)  The race was put on by the Shippensburg University Army ROTC, with proceeds supporting their activities and Wounded Warriors.  It was a very small event, and most of the runners were college age. There were not a lot of older runners, at least in the 10k.  They had both a 5k and a 10k, but managed it well by having the 10k go out first, then the 5k people, and by the time the 10k people were finishing most of the 5k people were also done.  It was an easy out and back on a railtrail through woods and past a couple of farms. Pretty with the autumn color.  I did much better than expected:  54:09.  Last time I ran 56:56, but I think it was a slightly longer course (Different starting place.)  Garmin said 6.18 today.  I took off too fast, as usual, got slowed down by the only real hills of the course in the first mile, pushed to make up the lost time and then tried to hold on for the next 5 miles. I got slowed at the turnaround because I was choking on water, despite slowing to a walk, and then was heading into the wind until the trail reentered trees. I ended up winning Masters female, which was a surprise.  The advantage of small races is AG wins.  The disadvantage was that after initially passing people in the first two miles, I ended up running the next four alone.  It was a fun race on a beautiful day.  Chilly to start (45) but my warm up did its job so I wasn't uncomfortable once the race started.

Splits:

1 8:47.1 1.00 8:47
                          2 8:37.6 1.00 8:38
                          3 8:31.6 1.00 8:32
                          4 8:56.1 1.00 8:56
                          5 8:52.8 1.00 8:53
                          6 8:55.1 1.00 8:55
                          7 1:28.6 0.18 8:00
                          Zelanie

Ginny, that's fantastic!  Is that a PR for you?  And to run that well by yourself for the last 4 miles, too, that is an accomplishment in itself!  Congrats on the Masters win, too! Smile

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Ginny!  Congrats on the master's win!  Sweet!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ginny - Great job on the AG win!  That's amazing!

I'm still recovering from a terrible ankle sprain (May 28).  I took over two months completely off of running and was in a CAM walker boot for a month, then a laceup brace for another month or so after that.  I've just recently moved to walking full time without any brace.  I still use a small brace for running and I'm still noticeably weaker on that side.  My paces are ~2 minutes per mile off of what they were this time last year.  So no PR shape for me.  I'm happy when I can run without pain and when my stride feels good.  In any case, I'd like to support my friend.  She has lost something like 60 lbs since she started running earlier this year (she started with C25k in February and finished it in late July) which is incredible to me :-)  Though I suppose I've never actually run a 5 mile race before, so it will be a PR regardless.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)