Beginners and Beyond

KC Trolley Run RR (Read 47 times)

This is the first time I feel compelled to share my RR. Although this was my 23rd event in (almost) 4 years, it felt like the first time I actually “raced”.

Feel free to skip over this preface: A year ago I challenged myself to run my first Half Marathon which I completed last fall. I followed up with a second, fall HM, and then focused on increasing my mileage base over the winter. I ran my 3rd HM last weekend, which went okay (10K split was 1:06, but tanked the last 3 miles to finish 2:35). I’m proud of me for seeing my training plan through and will run my 4th – and probably final – HM in two weeks. I can cover the distance, but don’t think I have it in me to ever really “race” it. I don’t think I’m alone when I say I get more joy finishing the miles than actually running them. Because of this, I am re-thinking my running goals. By nature I’ve always been a sprinter – hurdler, base-runner, outfielder, and hockey. Long distance to me was a homerun. I’m glad I can keep going for 13 miles and hope to be able to maintain the fitness to run 10-12 regularly, but more HM’s? Not feeling the joy.

But today’s 4 mile race? What a blast! I was excited about it and actually planned a race strategy that worked well for me. Although my 5K PR is 29:27, that was two years ago, and before I broke my back. Using my recent 5K (10:07 pace) and 10K (10:38 pace) races, the race predictor presented a time of 41:02 with a 10:16 pace. Since the Kansas City Trolley Run is a 4 mile course with a steady, low down-grade, I thought I could be successful with this goal pace. After reading some race strategies that fit my running ability, I took their approach to start out just a little fast (3% below goal pace), then back it down a tad to settle into a steady pace. I was hoping to have enough left over to finish with my fastest mile.

The weather was dreary at 49, but felt perfect. The crowd was the biggest I’ve seen at just under 7000, but very well organized. I signed up for the 3rd wave of runners – those expecting to finish between 36:01 and 40:00. At the time, I knew I was being aggressive with my time, but didn’t want to be in the back of the pack with slower joggers and walkers. It was a good call. Although crowded, the race was very organized with the release of different paced waves. I was running with like paced runners, including a (younger) co-worker. Our last 5K we finished within 1 second and once again, we kept each other in close view for most of the race.

The first mile I planned for a 9:58 pace. I haven’t hit a whole lot of 10 minute miles, but knew the downhill grade and adrenaline were in my favor. The course didn’t have many turns, but I knew where they were and planned to be smart about the tangents. It was tough maneuvering through the crowd, but planning ahead was helpful. Mile one – 9:53. Right on target.

For miles 2 and 3 I knew I had to slow it down and stick to my plan. Felt good – focusing on quick feet under me, elbows back, roll off my feet and breath steady. Cruising.  A couple short inclines are hardly worth mentioning. If I was out for a daily run, I like to run hard up hills, but not this time. I kept my strides short, minimized my arms and kept the same effort. At the top I took a big cleansing breathe then picked it up a bit on the downhill side.  Mile two – 10:02. Yikes. This was faster than I wanted, but I felt great and confident that I could keep it up.

As mile 3 approached, I toyed with the idea of kicking it up just to beat my best 5K time. I argued back that this was not a 5K race, that I had another mile to go and was happy with my steady pace. Mile three: 10:02. Check!

My running buddy and I were still even – though not intentionally running together. With a half mile to go, I knew I could give it more so I did. It felt great to push myself and run harder with an actual intent to follow my plan. The road was still very thick with runners but I was able to pass a bunch. Pick one – pass. Pick another – pass. The last 400 meters I felt strong finished with a solid kick. Watch out – old lady sprinting! Mile four: 9:36.

Overall time was 39:31. My 3M mark was 29:54 so a sub 30 5K is within reach again. Could I have runner harder? While I was racing, I would have said, “No, don’t burn out”. Now that I’m done, “Yes, I think I left some out on the course.” I just don’t have enough experience to really gauge how to race. But I think this was a good start.

Big numbers, but I like ‘em :
    OA: 2640/6791
    F: 1132/4088
    F55-59: 41/239

Now I’m exciting to look at 5K and 10K training plans to better my times. I want to continue with 10-12 mile runs to maintain fitness, but really think the HM races will soon be in my rear view mirror.

Thanks for listening. BTW – I’m really not old. I’ll never be old.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

RabbitChaser

Great job beating your goal time! I was out at the race as well and thought the weather was near perfect for the race, a little windy at times, but otherwise perfect. Congrats on a well run race!

Brilliant

Great racing!  I love the results.You finished in about the top 25% of women - can you imagine all of the 20-somethings you beat?!  It must be your "I'll never be old" attitude! 

If you are not feeling the love, it's totally OK not to do HMs.  There are plenty of 5ks, 4Ms, 5Ms, and 10ks out there for you to enjoy!

Antipodean

Great race, Kathleen!! I've also mostly focused on 5/10k races & get a lot of enjoyment running. Defintiely less stressful than half marathons, and I shudder to think of how stressful FMs are. I enjoy running other distances too. I did a 3k cross country relay this weekend and I have a 5 mile and one mile race coming up in a few months too.

Congrats. And did you best your friend?

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

LRB

The last 400 meters I felt strong finished with a solid kick. Watch out – old lady sprinting! Mile four: 9:36.

This made me laugh out loud!

Nicely done, and impressive that you finished strong!

Congrats. And did you best your friend?

Yeppers! Not by much, but enough to stroke my ego.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

music_girl117

Look at you go!!!  Your last mile in particular sounds like racing perfection.  What a great race.  You can definitely get a sub-30 5k.

Oh and I am with you on favoring shorter distances.  HMs are good for a change of pace (literally!), but I like 5ks a lot better myself.  Congrats again!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Docket_Rocket

That is a great time!  Congrats!

PS, we want to see more RRs from you, even if you didn't think you raced the races.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'm with you on the "I'll never be old", Kathleen.  Congrats on a well run race.

Cyberic

Sounds to me like you had a great plan and you raced it perfectly. Congrats to a forever young woman!

PADRunner

Nice job. Great race!

GinnyinPA

You did great on this race.  Congratulations!

From the Internet.

Whoops, with the massive influx of RRs this weekend (good thing!) I read yours but totally forgot to comment  Congrats! Sub-30 5K is absolutely within reach, especially since you didn't think you left it all out there on the course for this one. Training for shorter distances and learning how to really RACE them can be a lot of fun while way less time consuming than the long stuff. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you! Smile

happylily

Great race, Kathleen! Congratulations! You definitely should write an RR everytime you race. It's your God given right as a runner.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Great race, Kathleen! Congratulations! You definitely should write an RR everytime you race. It's your God given right as a runner.

You should too!

Ccongrats Kathleen! That sub-30 5k is within reach.