Beginners and Beyond

How much sleep do you get and what hours do you sleep? (Read 73 times)

workinprogress11

Baboon's usual epic sleeping made me start to wonder about everyone's sleep habits. Mine are as follows.

1.  Normally between 5 and 6 hours of sleep a night.

2.  I go to bed around 2:30 or 3am and wake up between 7:30 and 8:30am

3.  I rarely am able to nap.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

• Go to bed around 9:30-10:00 PM
      • Get up anywhere between 4 AM and 6 AM
      • So I probably get anywhere between 6-8 hours of sleep
      • Sometimes I get to nap

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I get up for work at 5:45am. I call bs on all those studies that say you can train yourself to be a morning person, after 18 years of doing this, it still sucks. I go to bed between 9 and 10, so I get between 8 and 9 hours of sleep. Weekends, I sleep in until anywhere between 8 and 10.

Naps, on occasion. I took a 3 hour one on Saturday, but hadn't in a while.

LRB

My day starts at 5:00 am, so I am usually down for the count  anywhere between 9 & 10. My problem is that I don't stay down, so the actual time I spend sleeping varies because I wake up so often during the night!

I do well to get five hours of sleep. Sometimes it's a little more, sometimes it's less. But rarely is it in one block of sleeping straight through, I don't even know what that feels like.

Buelligan

Sleep is a big problem for me.   It's wildly inconsistent where I get too much or not enough.  Damn internet.

onemile

My problem is that I don't stay down, so the actual time I spend sleeping varies because I wake up so often during the night!

This is me. I have no problem falling asleep but I can't stay asleep for more than a couple of hours.

Brilliant

I'm usually in bed by 10 and up around 5:30.  And most days I can sneak in a 30 minute nap.  

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

This is me. I have no problem falling asleep but I can't stay asleep for more than a couple of hours.

Same for me.  Sleep about 11:30, get up about 3 times. Wake up for good about 5:00.  So about 5 hours per night.  Add an hour after a LR.

Sometimes take a nap for an hour in the afternoon, or just nod off in the 7th inning.

Docket_Rocket

I sleep 5-7 hours, mostly 5.

Go to bed at midnight, wake up at 6am

I don't have time for nap, as I'm either working, running, Pilateling, or working until it's time to go to bed.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

My day starts at 5:00 am, so I am usually down for the count  anywhere between 9 & 10. My problem is that I don't stay down, so the actual time I spend sleeping varies because I wake up so often during the night!

I do well to get five hours of sleep. Sometimes it's a little more, sometimes it's less. But rarely is it in one block of sleeping straight through, I don't even know what that feels like.

During my last training cycle, wakeup time depended on how many miles I had, I would get up anywhere between 3:45 (15 miles) and 5:15 (5 miles). The iPhone alarm has settings in 15-min increments in between. I won't get up later than 5:15 even on a RD, because if I hit the road anytime after 5:45, the traffic gets unbearable. Sadly.

I am generally in bed by 9. I usually can't get there soon enough. Actually asleep somewhere between 9:30-10, although when particularly sleep deprived I can fall asleep more quickly. I go through phases when I sleep pretty well through the night, and phases when I am up in the middle of the night for a couple hours every night. So, hard to pick an average total hours per night. I have noticed there is no correlation between how well I sleep and how well my run goes. I have had kick-ass hard workouts on 2-3 hours of sleep. Not to mention, who sleeps well the night before a marathon.

I used to never nap, but recently I have had sufficient sleep debt that I may doze off on the couch for ~30 min on a Sat or Sun.

Dave

Hip Redux

In bed by 10, asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow

Up by 6 most mornings

I love to nap lol

delicate flower

During the week, I get up to 8 hours most nights.  In bed shortly after 9:00, and asleep shortly after 9:00.  Wake up time is 5:15 most mornings.  I'll routinely get between 9 and 10 hours each night on the weekends, plus naps as needed.

Sleeping is not something I struggle with.

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

- in bed between 9:30-11:00.

- sleep most of the night depending on what is going on with DW and her midlife issues.

- up at 5:30 regardless of how many hours of sleep I get.

- 20-30 minute nap in my comfortable chair on weekends as time allows.

I am jealous of Baboon, more for his sleep habits than his fast running.

GinnyinPA

We're night owls. I usually go to sleep around 2:00 - 2:30, awake about 9:30 to 10:00.  I'm pretty consistent with 8 or so hours of sleep, though I'll do a bit more after a really long run.

Cyberic

I pretty much always go to bed at 10:00-10:15 and am asleep by 10:30-11:00. I'm pretty much always up between 6:15 - 7. Week days, weekends. During vacation, sometimes my schedule will switch a bit to earlier (camping) or to later (hotels, relatives), but the amount of time in bed is pretty even all year 'round.

But the quality of my sleep goes through phases. Right now I'm in a good phase, so I sleep well until around 5, then start turning until up time.

But in bad phases I can wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall back asleep for hours. Those phases can last for weeks and months.

I fall asleep easily though, even in bad phases, as I get more and more tired as the phase goes on.

So in good phases I sleep between 7:30-8:30 per night, and in bad phases it's still usually at least 4-5 hours, and more like 6.

I never nap.

My sleep quality has improved over the years. I think the main factor is pure habit. I start preparing for bed at 10:00-10:15 pretty much all the time. When I'm really tired, I wait until that time, and when I'm not sleepy, I still lie on my bed at that time and read until I do get sleepy. After many years of that tight schedule, I get a much higher numbers of hours of sleep on average than before.