Beginners and Beyond

Victory over Violence 5k - not a RR (Read 46 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This past Saturday was a large (3700) 5k benefitting the Women's Shelter.

Traditionally our running group enters a team and has won the Fastest Team award now 6 years running. The top 5 places of each team mate are used for scoring purposes.

We ended up averaging an 18:29.14. Not bad for 4 masters (me being the youngest at 43) and one 16 yo!

Individually we cleaned house, taking male and female masters and many of the 1st and several 2nd place age groups and some 3rd as well! ( a few all 3 places in the a/g. )

I ended up with a 1st in 40-44 @ an 18:06. Overall very happy (13 sec faster than last weekend!

But that wasn't really the point of this thread!

I managed to get a picture of 6th, 7th, and 8th place.

(8th being me, 6th being our 16 yo and 7th being a good local masters running who is holding me off!)

For a point of reference we are around a 4:35 pace at this image right before the finish:

0.5 sec separates 6th & 7th

0.6 sec separates 7th & 8th

oh so close and yet so far!

Ric-G

cool...the three of you are floating!

marathon pr - 3:16

Mmmmm...beer

That's an incredible picture!!  Great job!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

GinnyinPA

Nice floaters.  Great picture.

Brilliant

Great pic, and congrats to your team!

delicate flower

Wow, some serious airtime on display there!

<3

Hip Redux

Flying!

PADRunner

Cool. Perfect form to!

I brought up the rear with moral support and 30:18.

hog4life

Holy smokes!

Zelanie

Wow, that is an awesome picture!  I don't think I could get that far off the ground if I took a running leap.

Congrats on the great team showing, too!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Thanks all.

And yes PAD was part of the team as well! Damn fine showing considering last weekend was his Marathon! ( no Fing could I have gotten that close to a goal 5k time a week post marathon)

Zel

Sure you could! Just push down harder! ( though it does take practice)

B-Plus

I need to take photography lessons from you 

Congrats!

Zelanie

Zel

Sure you could! Just push down harder! ( though it does take practice)

I read the Runners World article with Meb this week at the dentist and have been focusing all week on keeping my knees up, which he said would also get you less time with contact on the ground.  That was actually one of our rules at the HM and even our recovery run yesterday- knees up!  No kicking rocks!  So maybe there's hope with some practice.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I read the Runners World article with Meb this week at the dentist and have been focusing all week on keeping my knees up, which he said would also get you less time with contact on the ground.  That was actually one of our rules at the HM and even our recovery run yesterday- knees up!  No kicking rocks!  So maybe there's hope with some practice.

Yes, knees up.

Don't land and then push/ thrust. Start the push before your foot hits the ground. * note: this only works if your foot land under or behind your hips, not in front.

Zelanie

Yes, knees up.

Don't land and then push/ thrust. Start the push before your foot hits the ground. * note: this only works if your foot land under or behind your hips, not in front.

Cool, thanks for the tip!  I was actually thinking about this on the TM today, since I was running super easy and needed something to pay attention to, so I was trying different things with my stride.  At one point I ended up with a push-off that felt like my feet were going further back than they usually do, almost more of a butt kick, but it felt more powerful than my usual shuffle.  It definitely felt like my foot was landing right under my hips.