Beginners and Beyond

Good riddance! (the penny) (Read 186 times)

Ken WD

Yay! I hope the nickel is next. Then we can get rid of a digit on all signs... think of the savings!

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

One of the greatest clerk meltdowns I have ever witnessed was when a Canadian gentlemen in line at a local taco place asked if they accepted Canadian money.  After consulting the manager, the young clerk affirmed that they did.

The customer handed over a 5 and a couple dollar coins (Loonies).  Absolute befuddlement ensued.  "No, they're not quarters, they're dollars."  "But they're coins".  "Yes, dollar coins, look at them!"  ... and on and on.  It was so hilarious that I didn't even get upset about having to wait.

That's great. I think the "coins actually mean something" always trips up the Americans. On the other hand, whenever I'm in the US I have a fat wallet and feel rich, then I realize that I just have a bunch of onesSad.

At least both Canadian and American currencies are still better than the Euro... man I hate those bills, and the coins (1,2,5,10,20 and 50 cent, along with 1 and 2 euro coins is just unnecessary).

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Jess runs for bacon

I love pennies Smile Everyone throws them on the ground and I scoop 'em up. Usually by the end of the year I have enough to buy a nice martini Big grin

Chairman

I love pennies Smile Everyone throws them on the ground and I scoop 'em up. Usually by the end of the year I have enough to buy a nice martini Big grin

You'd make more digging aluminum cans out of the trash for recycling.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Chairman

LOL.  Did you see the instructional graphics about the subsequent rounding system?

I don't know about Canada, but if this happened in the US, the min wage teenage cashiers who ALREADY don't know how to make change are going to end up breaking their brains.  They're gonna have cerebral meltdowns and seize out right there at the counter in front of your horrified eyes.

I can also see scenarios in which people get offended about their change being rounded down.  "You only gave me back a nickel, but you owe me 7 cents!  I guess this is what happens in Obama's America!"  AND/OR, "You only gave me back a nickel, but you owe me 7 cents!  Koreans/Arabs/Indians/Jews/Italians/Mexicans/Russians are all crooks!"

We have electronic cash registers that can be programmed to round as necessary. Or just set prices to come out to multiples of 5 when tax is included.

Jess runs for bacon

You'd make more digging aluminum cans out of the trash for recycling.

Definitely less appealing.

MrNamtor

When's the last time the clerk counted back your change instead of shoving it at you in a wad?

I think that ended sometime in the 1950s

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Most of my money transactions are with a credit card anymore.  I rarely carry cash or coins.

I hate those stupid $1 coins.

Huggs and Kisses,

3D (Debbie Does Dallas)

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                    sirdizzy

Ohh you could totally work the system, did you see on debit charges it doesn't round up or down only on cash transactions.  Think about it carry cash for when you will benefit from a round down and use debit when it will round up.  Its like Superman 3 or Office Space stealing pennies Wink

Chairman

Ohh you could totally work the system, did you see on debit charges it doesn't round up or down only on cash transactions.  Think about it carry cash for when you will benefit from a round down and use debit when it will round up.  Its like Superman 3 or Office Space stealing pennies Wink

That ought to earn you a whole quarter, or maybe even 50 cents a month. Before you know it, you'll be able to buy yourself a pair of running shorts.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

As of today, the Royal Canadian Mint has started to phase out the penny Smile.

And I bet the mint officials apologized to the coin too, right before starting the phase-out.  Wink  Canadians are so polite.   Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

You Rang?

Something that I think is interesting is that the Canadian rounding rules mentioned above is already in use in some sectors of the economy  here in the US.  The differene is that they are rounding down to the nearest whole dollar.

I travel too much for business and prefer to pay for meals in cash.  I rarely get coins back in change.  If my bill is $25.30 and I put two $20.00 bills in the folio, I'll usually get $15 in some combination of  singles and five dollar bills back in change.  the $0.30 magically dissappeared.  Maybe the house will claw back the $0.30  from the tip, but maybe not.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

happylily

Me too! I always make a point of picking up a lucky penny when I see one on the ground. And it's true that they are lucky, because I always end up finding more pennies on the ground. I'm so lucky! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010