Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Take Your Ding A Ling To Work... (Read 215 times)

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Hi Dailiers,

I'm back from the dead (or so it feels).  Caught what I thought was a horrible cold about a week before Christmas.  But after talking to several colleagues who also caught it, and the parent of a student who went to the doctor and took Tamiflu, now I'm convinced it was the flu.  My dh and I were both sick as dogs but dd stayed perfectly healthy - and she was the only one of us who got her flu shot this year!  It was all I could do not to curl up in a ball on the floor, but we had to power through Christmas with both our families and cross-country travel.  Moral of the story - GET YOUR FLU SHOT!   I will never again neglect it.

I got in 2 miserable runs the last couple of days in California (how could I not take advantage of the 65 degrees??) and stopped every few minutes for coughing fits.

Today was the first day I feel semi-human again.  Went out for 3 miles @ 9:20/mile.  Almost my normal easy-ish pace, but it was tough.  It felt GREAT to be back out there again, though!

Official training for the SD RnR begins the last week of Janurary.  I have until then to try to get back to "normal" (whatever that is!).

..off to go back to the beginning of the thread and see what you all are up to!

Angela 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

OK, Dailies! So, here's a question that only Dailies can answer....

I'll be up in Cleveland in June. My visit coincides with a 10 mile and a 10K race on the north portion of the Towpath in the Cuyahoga River Valley. Both are held on the same day by the same group. Question is, should I run the 10K or go for the 10 miler?

My training at that point will be geared more for the shorter races that occur here in town that time of year, which leads me to think that the 10K would be preferred. But, I don't see running 10 miles as a major obstacle either.

What, Daily people, would you do?

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Depends on your goals and preferences, IMO. Do you want to "race" one of them or do you just want the experience of running in a race in that area? If the former, go for the 10k. If the latter, base it on your distance preference. If you prefer to run longer, go for the 10 miler. If not, go for the .10k. That is just my opinion though. Smile

delicate flower

Tom, you've got plenty of time to get yourself into shape to race the 10 miler.  I'd go for that one simply because given the choice, I'll always go for the longer distance race.

<3

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Flippy, my problem is that if I'm in a race, I'm going to try to maximize my performance. But I don't want to take away from my performance in other, shorter races in that same time frame. I have two HMs this fall, and I'm running two 15K races this spring, but there are a few 5K, 4, and 5 mile runs locally that I'm wanting to run through the summer.

I guess, logically, I should run the 10K. If I knew that I could just run the 10 miler without trying to race, I'd sign up for it immediately. But I'm afraid that it will screw up my training for the shorter races.

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Tom, I don't think you will mess up your training by adding in a 10 miler. Sign up for the one you want to run, it will be all good. Smile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

10 miler, it is! I guess it boils down to whether I want to run fast for almost an hour or about an hour and a half! Smile

Signing up shortly...

Luke79

Okay, so there's a HM on 2/17 and I'm off that weekend.  Oh god, I'm about to go to the dark side folks.

TOOO THUH DAHK SIIIIDE.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

There ya go!!! Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

Okay, so there's a HM on 2/17 and I'm off that weekend.  Oh god, I'm about to go to the dark side folks.

TOOO THUH DAHK SIIIIDE.

Woot woot! Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

runmomto3boys

7.7 at 8:18 pace - so happy!
                        RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

There ya go!!! Smile

I can't 'not' run it - it's my old stomping ground! I will be running right in an area where I was an electric meter reader way, way back in the day. I will be running right behind a power substation where I helped overhaul a 345,000 volt circuit breaker. I will be running in a park that used to be the area where my friends and I would go to shoot targets.

I'm signing up for the 10 miler right now!

Luke - you're thinking like me - that may or may not be a good sign. Go for it!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I'm signed up! Ha!!!

Excellent, RMT2B!  Just ease into it, don't push yourself too much and pay close attention to what your body is telling you.

Side note - I wish I could run 7.7 at 8.18 pace! That's about my 5K pace! Smile

Chairman

7.7 at 8:18 pace - so happy!

I am happy you are happy.

On another note, I seriously can't keep up with all the comments in these dailies.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Yikes, Damaris. I wish that you didn't have such a heavyweight concern.

Tom, it's so cool that you're minimizing and keeping others in mind. Oh, and I'd go for the ten-miler. More time as an excuse for people who whine about not answering the phoneSmile

Angela, I'm glad that you were able to get out there. May you recover in time to begin training.

Heidi, yay! How are you feeling?

Luke, doitdoitdoit!