Beginners and Beyond

Make that call SunDAILIES (Read 29 times)

LRB

Or text, or email or visit...

LRB

I'm gonna take my show to the track to jog as yesterday's run was akin to running through a minefield of uneven surfaces which my ankle was none too pleased about. Maybe I'll have better luck on the soft, consistent surface.

'Sup?

delicate flower

Good morning and Happy Mother's Day to all the B&B moms!  Not feeling the RUN today, but I need to do 12 miles at some point.

<3

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 4 in the sunshine.  I hit 33 for the week, which is exactly what I had in mind.

I started relearning how to run at the beginning of the week.  I am a forefoot striker, to the exaggerated point of almost landing on my toes.  I guess that's what happens when you start running in Five Fingers.  I figure my long-term odds to keep logging miles will be increased if I stop landing on that third metatarsal, so I'm working on becoming a heel-striker.  In doing pretty good to just get my heels to kiss the ground right now, but that's enough difference that my shins are a little sore and my feet a little fatigued in ways I haven't felt in about 5 years.  Overall, I'm remaining optimistic about my (chances of a half in October) running future.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

Good morning!

I ran 4 in the sunshine.  I hit 33 for the week, which is exactly what I had in mind.

I started relearning how to run at the beginning of the week.  I am a forefoot striker, to the exaggerated point of almost landing on my toes.  I guess that's what happens when you start running in Five Fingers.  I figure my long-term odds to keep logging miles will be increased if I stop landing on that third metatarsal, so I'm working on becoming a heel-striker.  In doing pretty good to just get my heels to kiss the ground right now, but that's enough difference that my shins are a little sore and my feet a little fatigued in ways I haven't felt in about 5 years.  Overall, I'm remaining optimistic about my (chances of a half in October) running future.

Have a great day folks!

Most people move away from true heel striking because of the problems the excessive braking creates with the shins and knees, so if you're already feeling the effects of it, you will probably want to adjust what you're doing.

Check out this video where he talks about the issues some people face when trying to find the balance between stride, foot placement and cadence. This is another.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  LR on the TM coming up.

I am a heel striker and never had an issue with shins or anything.  But I have always thought each body is different and if it works, why change it.  PR, good luck changing the gait and take it easy.  It should give your toe more relief if you do!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Morning!  LR on the TM coming up.

I am a heel striker and never had an issue with shins or anything.  But I have always thought each body is different and if it works, why change it.  PR, good luck changing the gait and take it easy.  It should give your toe more relief if you do!

Yeah my heel sometimes touches the ground first but I'm not a heel striker. I think the problem arises from over-striding to the point that your heel is out in front of you when it hits. That's not the case for me. I run pretty much centered over my feet and when my heel "strikes" first it's because I'm being lazy while jogging and not picking up my feet. In fact, when I run on gravel, I can sometimes hear my feet dragging across the rocks. lol

Cyberic

8.3 miles without mojo. 50.75 miles for the week.

As usual, going out to race next week kinda stresses me out. Don't want to sandbag the race, and don't want to be in hard pain from trying to hold a pace I can't hold that day. Training is so much easier.

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  I am pretty sure I am a typical heel striker.  Proof.  And this is the least heel striking picture I could find:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

As usual, going out to race next week kinda stresses me out. Don't want to sandbag the race, and don't want to be in hard pain from trying to hold a pace I can't hold that day. Training is so much easier.

That's why you need to race more. 

Dave

onemile

Weather looking good?

I think you can go out aggressively in a half and even if you slow a bit it's not a big crash, like in a marathon

LRB

Said no one ever. lol

You totally killed this cycle, sub-5:00 R pace, sub-6:00 VO max, 20 mile runs at marathon pace for mother fucks sake! You're going to do fine, 6:35 (or better!) all day.

onemile

You totally killed this cycle, sub-5:00 R pace, sub-6:00 VO max, 20 mile runs at marathon pace for mother fucks sake! You're going to do fine, 6:35 (or better!) all day.

Yup! 

LRB

Weather looking good?

I think you can go out aggressively in a half and even if you slow a bit it's not a big crash, like in a marathon

It's a tricky distance for me, the pace is either there or it isn't. Recognizing that it isn't is usually the difference between just having a disappointing race, versus a long slow, painful death. lol

During my PR halfs, it's never been easy, but I can get through 10 or so miles still on pace or within range of it.

LOL.  I am pretty sure I am a typical heel striker.  Proof.  And this is the least heel striking picture I could find:

I never feel like a heel striker until I see a pic. That last one I posted is a pretty good example. And when I look at the wear on the heels of my shoes after a couple hundred miles.  Never tried changing.

Dave