Beginners and Beyond

Week 41 Penguins are kicking butt and taking names!! (10/07-10/13) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Kick Butt Day, and since I have done both yoga and biking, despite my gardening-sore hamstrings, I think I can qualify.  I have also washed some dishes in the lab, which I've been avoiding for a while.  So, Penguins, kick today's butt!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Federal holiday so I am off today. Still in ChicGo and heading home this afternoon.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Nice to have a long weekend without taking PTO!!  Safe travels!!

Yoga, biking, ho hum.  Got approval to re-post my tech position, so that's good.  Let the madness begin (again)!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have nothing today as well.  Took today off to make the weekend better. Smile  And Friday is my day off.  I love this week.

HopesMom, it would have been better if last Friday was my Friday off, lol. Good luck with the tech position!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope you get a better group of candidates this time around. Good luck.

D - enjoy your very short week.

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, are you having hurricane issues?  We're supposed to get rain tomorrow.  Luckily that's my non-biking day!!

This morning involved yoga, biking, and telling the subcontractors they can't block the handicap access to the sidewalk.  They, of course, had no idea the handicap access was there.  Well, did anyone get out of the truck on the passenger side?  They probably should've noticed the sidewalk dip there ...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nope, thankfully. It was never close to us.  Stay safe?

I might run today or not.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

It's supposed to rain tomorrow.  Not too worried. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins all!!  No biking or yoga today -- needed to get into the office because my promotion committee is meeting this morning, and I wanted to be available if they had any questions.  Not expecting them to, but still, just in case.  I don't think I get to hear what they decided until January.  They make their decision and enter it, and then my department chair has to go over all my stuff and make his recommendation as well, and then the dean looks at it -- my meeting with her is in early January, and that's when I find out whether I get the promotion.  Not like it's a long, drawn-out process or anything!!

Chorus tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I managed 3 miles yesterday and the groin is OK, but the knee is still achy. I'll see how my 5 go tonight.  I don't have Pilates until next Thursday as my instructor is in Colombia on vacation and I'm sure the delayed soreness is due to not stretching at Pilates right after the race, grrrr.

HopesMom, good luck with that meeting and promotion and budget stuff!  Have fun at rehearsal.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - good luck with the promotion. How is that affected by the campus politics you spoke of ?

D - can you go to yoga instead? Sorry the knee still hurts.

It's raining here and we have company coming this afternoon for several days. I don't know whether I'll be able to do any more running this week.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't like yoga and this studio does not give yoga.  I could call the owner and go to a private class with her but I don't mind resting a bit, lol.  I am being lazy, as I can do half of the class by myself on a mat here instead of with equipment as I know what to do.  I am just whiny.

I scheduled a massage for tomorrow.  That will help.

Hoping the rain does not hit you too hard.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

My potential promotion won't be affected at all by the campus politics -- it doesn't really involve anyone from the med school campus, except some customers who wrote supporting letters.  It's mostly chemistry department -- if they decide I deserve promotion (which sheesh, I do!), then I'll be promoted, most likely.  And it might make it slightly more difficult for the politicky folks down the road -- they would have to justify another facility headed by a full professor with no mass spec experience, run by someone without a terminal degree, while mine would be run (at that point) by an associate professor with extensive mass spec knowledge.  But their problem is not my problem!

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so it's been a crazy couple of days!!

I got a text from a friend yesterday around 1:15 saying, "Time to hop on your bike and head out!  Weather getting bad."  I told her I hadn't biked that day, then looked at the incoming radar.  Yep, definitely time to head out!!  Turned out the university closed at 2:00, so I only beat the curve by a half-hour or so, and by leaving that much earlier I made it home before the buckets and buckets of water and wind arrived.  We have a "pond" in our backyard -- really it's just a hole in the ground 5-6 feet deep.  It was mostly empty, then this storm came and it was full to overflowing before dark.  We never lost power, though, which is always a godsend.  Chorus rehearsal got cancelled, and I hung out with DH and watched TV, then took a bubble bath and we actually went to bed at a reasonable hour.

Today, there was an email saying the university was opening at 10, so I adjusted my schedule accordingly and got here about 9:35.  Only to discover a second email, sent at 9:30, saying the university was closed for the day.  Well, should I turn around and drive another hour-plus home?  I decided to see if my building had power, and if the lab was ok.  If those were both true, then I'd stay and do some stuff, then head home sometime after lunch.  So here I am, working when we're closed, which is unheard of.  I figure I'm baking good karma for future snow days!

And I did yoga today but did not bike -- Wednesday as I was biking out, I was having trouble shifting.  I downshifted one, nothing.  Downshifted again, nothing.  Upshifted 3, and there was a Kerchunk!, and my bike chain fell off the derailleur.  So I plopped down on the side of the road and tried to figure out how to fix it.  I did it, sorta -- I fixed it enough to get back to the car, anyway, but asked DH to take a look at it on Thursday, when I wasn't planning on biking anyway.  He said my sprockets were misaligned and something about a set screw -- the upshot is that he thinks he fixed it, but wants me to test-drive around the neighborhood before getting out into Richmond traffic again.  I'm down with that.

So yeah, quite the adventure!