Beginners and Beyond

Thursday's Planking Penguins (Read 26 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  13 miles done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Is this how a penguin planks?

Only if they're not a runner!

Had a great track workout last night.  I shortened it from the plan after getting some advice in the dailies.

Warmup - 2.8 miles with 4x100 strides.

1000m @ Tempo.  Felt slow.

1 min. recovery.

1000m @ Tempo.  Still felt slow.

jogging for skipped interval

800m @ Interval pace.  This one sucked.  But I still hit my pace.

jogging for skipped interval

200m @ Repetition pace.  Fun!

0.25 m recovery

200m@ Repetition pace.  Also fun!

Cool down.

Total of just under 6 miles.  Plus somebody that I run with on Thursdays was there.  She's about my pace, except on hills, where she's much faster.  She did the whole run with me, which was fun.

Then I came home and did a 2:15 plank. Cool  This morning I just took it easy and did 1 min.

D- I think your training cycle is going really well! Smile

Philliefan33

Good morning Mel and DR.

Last night I forgot to do my plank -- I just laid in bed looking like that penguin Zel posted.

You two make me look like a real slacker today.  Tough interval set for Zelanie, 13 miles for DR....and I did just 3.5 miles at recovery pace this morning.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel and DR are looking pretty BA this morning.

Morning Phillie!  Good job on the recovery.

My planks are only up to 75 seconds, but improving.  I'm feeling good about yesterday's workout.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Thursday!  Holidays for August 29th:   More Herbs, Less Salt Day;  According to Hoyle Day; Gone-Ta-Pott Day (e.g., something ain't working right!)

rules cartoons, rules cartoon, rules picture, rules pictures, rules image, rules images, rules illustration, rules illustrations

rules cartoons, rules cartoon, rules picture, rules pictures, rules image, rules images, rules illustration, rules illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

100+ degree days predicted for San Antonio from today right though the Labor Day weekend.   So it was up at 5 a.m. today and off to the Y do do an early morning run.  80 flippin' degrees already when I started.  Even so, felt pretty good and did 3.6 miles, with part of my run going along the San Antonio Riverwalk.

Damaris did a morning run?  Way to go Damaris.  13 miles...you must get up awfully early!  Or are very speedy!

Congrats on your run and your planking, Zelanie.

If you're a slacker at 3.5 miles, Philly, than I must be the very laziest runner here with my ultimately low weekly mileage (15 - 18 miles a week).  Hey, those short runs can sometimes be pretty tough too.  Especially if you run broadside into a firetruck...which I did this morning.  Owww....

You got 15 seconds more on your planks than I do, Awood.   I finally made it to a whole minute!  Only took me 2 weeks, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Is the plank you guys are doing the one on two elbows?

Docket: Well done on the 13.

Zel: Nice workout, that looks fun. I'm glad you are feeling it again. Smile

PF: Try the video She Can posted a few days back. It's tough... 20 plank positions.

Awood: Be sure to post about your big run this weekend, the one with 12 at MP.

Scotty: You are smart to get up early to run. Be careful in that heat. It was 101 here yesterday, but only for one day.

As for me, I did 5 recovery miles last night and tonight I am going out for 10 at an 8:30 pace.  Last night I pulled the trigger and signed up for the Tucson Marathon. I already booked my hotel so I'm all in. Let's hope the next 13 weeks of training go well.

Have a good day.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Those temps are awful.  As a sign of solidarity, I'll cut back on my planks.

Jack - I'll post about it for sure.  Why a marathon in Arizona?  Sounds hot.  November Indiana is much cooler.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: That's why it is in December. I read about it and the average temps on a December morning are in the 40s getting to the 60s by afternoon. It should be nice and cool.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

In December we'll have single digit temps, and I'll be training for 5-15k races.  I guess that makes sense.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

In December, we have, eh, 79F.

I do my MLRs in the morning, Scotty, only on the days I work from home.  I woke up at 5am and left at 6am.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Mel, what a great workout.. Is it from a plan or coach?
                            Damaris, congrats on the 13M..
                            Margo, 3.5M recovery is still better than zero..
                            Awood, 8:30 as your MP might be a little too slow.. but maybe good to be conservative..
                            Scotty, ouch on the firetruck...Hope you are ok..
                            Jack, my plank was on 2 elbow.. The others version are too complicated for me.. You will do very well in your 1st FM.. I am sure of that.

In Dec, the temp is the same as now.. haa.. Just more rain.. 6M easy done in the morning.. Tough day at work.. just reached home and its midnight where I am.. I am 10M short of a 200M month... Hmm.. I guess I can run tmr and sat since Sun HM will no longer be a race..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

You are much closer to the equator right?  PR has similar weather (albeit less hideous than yours) because it's smack North of it.  Your weather sucks and that comes from one who lives where weather sucks too.

Awood, 8:30 as your MP might be a little too slow.. but maybe good to be conservative..
                              Jack, my plank was on 2 elbow.. The others version are too complicated for me.. You will do very well in your 1st FM.. I am sure of that.

In Dec, the temp is the same as now.. haa.. Just more rain.. 6M easy done in the morning.. Tough day at work.. just reached home and its midnight where I am.. I am 10M short of a 200M month... Hmm.. I guess I can run tmr and sat since Sun HM will no longer be a race..

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I do think I am being a bit conservative at this point, but 8:30 is still faster than my HM pr.  I'll assess it again after my run, but as my first MP long run I'd rather make sure that I get the miles in.  Time will tell.  If I feel too good, I'll add on a mile or two and adjust my future MP runs.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost