Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES! (Read 36 times)

LRB

'Sup!

I didn't feel like thinking today There is lots of great reading on the main board so I thought a one word title would make it easier to find.

I have 7 planned, you?

LRB

Question: how the heck do you race a 10K/pick a pace? Plugging my 5K into McMillan gives me a 10K equivalent of 49:01, I'm not sure that I'll hit that but I'd like to get close to 50.

I use Daniels tempo pace as my guide for a lot of 10k's because the actual race equivalent may be a little too aggressive depending on where I am in training, whereas tempo pace is a pace you should be able to run under most circumstances (subject to weather of course).

Since it takes time for adaption (10 days to 2 weeks) I would use your previous 5k PR (from last month) as the baseline giving that you ran the new one a few days ago, which would give you a tempo pace of 8:22 using the Daniels calculators.  Your newly acquired tempo pace is 8:02, so if it were me I would start off at 8:22 (or in that ballpark) and look to work my way towards 8:02 (or faster if you are feeling it) over the course of the 10 kilometers.

Full disclosure: I race 10k's with the first mile being the slowest and look to finish strong.  Others pace them evenly across the board and still others start out fast and hold on for the last 2 or 3 miles.  So my way is but one of several, you obviously then have to find the best approach for you based on what you know about yourself but using your former and current 5k PR's should allow for an educated guess so to speak.

Jay, those lights are like the old neon ground effect lights for cars, way cool.

My favorite day, SRD.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Tuesday: 5.5 miles

Today: 1+ mile, then decided not to be selfish and keep the lunar eclipse to myself, so I woke up DS, made a couple cups of hot cocoa, and drove us to a park with a clear view all around to watch the moon and check out the stars. While it doesn't have a big "wow" factor, I think DS still enjoyed it and it was neat to share that with him, especially since I had never seen one before. There will be other days to run more.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Still felt sore this morning, but Rocky and I got 10 miles done and the Lunar Eclipse made it so worth all the soreness. This was my first time seeing one, and watching it from the very beginning to now being blood red. So awesome, so glad I can get up early like this.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

I have 7 planned, you?

Same here.  We're like twins!

<3

runninggirl30

Morning Dailies!

An easy 3 planned for me today.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 with 2 at MP after work.  Yay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Morning!

I may take a rest day, I have a bit of a soreness in my left knee and I don't know the cause of it. A rest day will do me good. 

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Same here.  We're like twins!

Except you have way more friends and are much cooler than I.  That makes me the bastard son.  lol

B-Plus

5 done. Encountered some type of 4 legged creature that didn't seem to be a dog, yet too small to be a coyote unless it was a baby. Stopped and walked the other way only to pass a skunk. This shouldn't happen in this area.

LRB

I didn't realize there was a lunar eclipse during my run and just went out to look at the sun which promptly burned both of my eyeballs out of their sockets.

I staggered back into the office where I was roundly laughed at by co-workers for looking at the sun during a lunar eclipse.  

Hey, I'm an electrician not a rocket scientist.  lol

B-Plus

I didn't realize there was a lunar eclipse during my run and just went out to look at the sun which promptly burned both of my eyeballs out of their sockets.

I staggered back into the office where I was roundly laughed at by co-workers for looking at the sun during a lunar eclipse.  

Check the Penguins thread next time  

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol! My run started at 3:57 AM and ended around 5:30 AM, the moon was so freaking bright it might as well have been daylight and then the eclipse began around 4:15 and by the time I was finished the moon was completely covered and "blood red". It was awesome to watch, and no you should never look straight at a solar eclipse lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

From the Internet.

I use Daniels tempo pace as my guide for a lot of 10k's because the actual race equivalent may be a little too aggressive depending on where I am in training, whereas tempo pace is a pace you should be able to run under most circumstances (subject to weather of course).

Since it takes time for adaption (10 days to 2 weeks) I would use your previous 5k PR (from last month) as the baseline giving that you ran the new one a few days ago, which would give you a tempo pace of 8:22 using the Daniels calculators.  Your newly acquired tempo pace is 8:02, so if it were me I would start off at 8:22 (or in that ballpark) and look to work my way towards 8:02 (or faster if you are feeling it) over the course of the 10 kilometers.

Full disclosure: I race 10k's with the first mile being the slowest and look to finish strong.  Others pace them evenly across the board and still others start out fast and hold on for the last 2 or 3 miles.  So my way is but one of several, you obviously then have to find the best approach for you based on what you know about yourself but using your former and current 5k PR's should allow for an educated guess so to speak.

Jay, those lights are like the old neon ground effect lights for cars, way cool.

Oh adaptation, I forgot to figure that into things. Re: the bolded statement, that tends to be how I like to run in general. Going out fast for the 5K was a whole new experience for me, so maybe starting off somewhat conservatively and trying to pick it up over the course of the race will be my best bet.