Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

Started out with a Great Lakes Wright Pils.  Now to the good stuff.

Heavy Seas Plank II.  This is a dopplebock at 8.5% a.b.v. aged on Poplar and Eucalyptus wood planks.  I let the beer warm to 53 degrees before pouring and we'll see how the flavor profile changes as it warms.  The initial review is all based on first impressions.

Appearance:  Pours a deep dark mahogany color that's nearly black.  A light off white head fizzes quickly with only a couple of fingers even after an aggressive pour and disappears damn near immediately.  It is gone.

Aroma:  There is some initial aroma of wood but the dominant aroma here is sweet.  In the background there are some licorice notes and maybe some dark chocolate.  Typically in dopplebocks, you'll find some roasted aromas as well but I didn't get much of that in this brew.

Taste:  It is dead on with the aroma.  I mean it's exactly what you'd expect.  Wood character up front.  Bitter chocolate asserts itself more in the flavor profile than in the aroma.  There's still little roasted character.  Somewhat surprisingly for a dopplebock, there's a bit of hops at the end.

Mouthfeel:  Most dopplebocks are heavy and finish really sweet.  This is fairly heavy but it finishes somewhat dry.  Interesting.  Carbonation is pretty much absent.

Overall:  I like this beer.  Nothing in the beer dominates.  Some dopplebocks are too sweet while others seem afraid of accentuating the malt.  This isn't afraid of the malt but the wood and the subtle hops keep it from being overly sweet.  I'm not usually a big fan of Heavy Seas offerings but this is very good.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Chasing the bus

That plank sounds like its right in the middle of my comfort zone.

Getting ready for my 5k tomorrow with Old Rasputin Russian Imperial. Very nice imperial. Lots of body, very black, not much carbonation.  Bitter chocolate, with the oak barrels and a nice dry finish.  I tried Deshutes class of 88 imperial smoked porter last night and was actually disappointed with the sweetness. This is much better balance for me.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
      Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Love the Half

Mmmmmm.  The Old Rasputin is a damn good beer.  Good luck in the 5K.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Chasing the bus

It  MUST be good! Finished same course 3 min. faster than last year!

Chasing the bus

And celebrating tonight with Green Flash Double Stout Black ale. Almost 9% abv, Very black, average carbonation, light head. It is reminiscent of black IPA's, with a grapefruit brulee note in the middle I like. It's hoppy, and a little yeasty, and I would say not dry nor sweet, with great body.  All in all a great finish to the day!

John

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Just figured out that North Coast  beer is sold in Chicago.  Besides Old Rasputin, have you had any other of their beers?  They really got a good Beer Advocate rating (even better than 3 Floyds).

Love the Half

A tale of two beers (well, three) this evening.

I started with a Great Lakes Wright Pils which I have had on several occasions.  Great summer beer and a nice way to start the night.  Then, I had a Kentucky Bourbon Stout.  I expected Bourbon.  I should have read the label.  This beer is brewed with a ton of coffee and I hate coffee.  I've had some beers that had notes of coffee and that's OK but this one was loaded.  I didn't get any bourbon and I barely tasted any beer.  I tasted coffee.  Did I mention that I hate coffee?  I rarely dump beers but I dumped this.  Posted in my local beer group that I now had 3 to give away.  A friend of mine who likes coffee claimed it.

After that less than stellar experience, I grabbed a Dogfish Head Burton Baton out of the fridge and patiently let it warm to 52 degrees before pouring.  Oh my.  This is a 50/50 mix of English Old Ale aged for a month on oak staves and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.  Technically, this is classified as a Double IPA.  On the nose, it's all that.  Mostly hops with a bit of sweetness and just a touch of breadiness in the background.  The flavor profile is hoppy as you'd expect but there is a shocking amount of sweetness in the end.  I was not prepared for that.  Then, the alcohol at 10% a.b.v. pops in for a chat.  The oak is there but you really have to look for it.  It is very much a background flavor.  Every sip is a bit different which is exactly what a great beer should be.  Happiness.

Chasing the bus

Ok, last one this week (then I'm off to dry out in the oil patch). Stone old guardian oak smoked. It's their 2013 old guardian edition? Anyway, wow. Almost no head, but the body is so viscous, almost like honey! Dark amber color, and the smoked malt is very prominent, like a good scotch. Quite hoppy, with a good sweetness that borders on too much. One of the best things ive had in awhile, and very temping to put a few bottles away for Christmas, 2014...

have a good week all!

john

LRS

Chasing Muses

Not-so-fancy review of a new favorite. AleWerks Tavern Ale

AleWerks is a small craft brewery located in Williamsburg, VA. I have had a few of their "werks" but this one really grabbed me. I have to admit that it was draughts of the Tavern Ale enjoyed at a couple of venues in Williamsburg that got me hooked, and altough I stocked up with a few 6 packs wile we were down there, the bottles are good, but not living up to the draught delight.

This is a classic Brown Ale. Think of Newcastle but more chocolate than nut flavor. Little head on the pour. Although the first taste is like biting into a dark chocolate bar, it backs off in subsequent sips, and becomes an easier drink as you go.

Here's the thing, from draught, it was a completely different beer. It had the burn of a barleywine and was much lighter than the bottle. It was much easier to drink to the belly. From the bottle, it was deeper, heavier and starts to take on a stout character. The malt tastes deep and very roasted.

I still love it, and I'm glad I stocked up, but from the bottle it's more of a one-and-done. From the tap it was a refresing treat.

Love the Half

I know brewers insist there is no difference between a bottled beer and a draught beer but I beg to differ.  I have had beers that were nearly undrinkably harsh out of a bottle but on tap, they bit back just hard enough to make them a wonderful sipper.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

LTH, do you write your reviews on Beer Advocate?

Love the Half

LTH, do you write your reviews on Beer Advocate?

Occasionally I do but the reality is that just about every beer has hundreds of reviews and I doubt one more will make any difference.  I'm much more interested in posting them for folks in know in running forums or on facebook to stimulate discussion.  I learn about some great new beers that way.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Occasionally I do but the reality is that just about every beer has hundreds of reviews and I doubt one more will make any difference.  I'm much more interested in posting them for folks in know in running forums or on facebook to stimulate discussion.  I learn about some great new beers that way.

Well, thanks for posting them here.

Love the Half

Just had a Smisje Grande Reserva.  This is a Belgian beer aged in whisky barrels and brewed with coriander and grains of paradise.  It's got an a.b.v. of 11% which is very sneaky and I'm feeling the hell out of it right now.  Here's my review on beeradvocate:

A: Poured from a bottle into a tulip after letting it warm to 54 degrees. A small, off-white head faded to nothing fairly quickly. The beer itself is a hazy brown.

S: My immediate impression is an explosion of tart cherries; almost lambic in nature. Over a bit of time, I get almost a fruit salad of sensations. The barrel aging is barely detectable and you sort of have to know it's there to pick it up.

T: All kinds of things going on. Dark fruits and sweet malt dominate. The 11 % a.b.v isn't even noticeable. As on the nose, the whiskey barrel is there but you really have to look for it. Marvelous change of pace from too many barrel aged beers that let the barrel dominate. Any hops in this beer are bit players.

M: Creamy, creamy, creamy. This beer just melts in your mouth like chocolate. The finish is mostly sweet but not too much to let it hang around forever.

O: Terrific beer. As with all really good beers, it changes character with each sip and as it warms. It is sweet enough to be one hell of a beer with dessert or, better yet, served as dessert. The Belgians are masters of hiding the alcohol. Fortunately, I don't have to drive after this brew.

Will run for scenery.

You post reviews on beeradvocate ?

Somehow that strikes me as barley legal....

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!