Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Chasing the bus

Had to post this one...Beer Valley Black Flag Imperial stout. Such great balance between sweet and bitter. You can really taste the bourbon early in this, and I really like that. Finishes with the hops, a bit tart and bitter. Color is black, great body.  This is a new fave for me.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Love the Half

I have always enjoyed being the contrarian so, in honor of IPA day (August 1), I'm drinking a Smuttynose Scotch Ale. Tons of malty sweetness and caramel goodness and a hint of smoke with just barely some offsetting hops to keep the malt from being totally over the top. But make no mistake, this is a brew unafraid of the malt. The 8.2% a.b.v. is really well hidden. I should say it was hidden until I downed the bomber. Now, it's not hidden at all.

Smuttynose Scotch Ale

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

I drank one of the best beers on the planet tonight to celebrate a wonderful week at the beach with the family - St. Bernardus Abt 12.

I allowed the beer to warm to 55 degrees before pouring

A: A moderate pour reveals a beautiful dark ruby color with some haziness. Head is an off white that lingers 

S: All over the place. Initial sensation of toffee like sweetness followed by breadiness from the malt. Looking for the hops reveals, well, nothing. There's some candied fruit as well.

T: If it is possible to have every taste you can find in a beer, this is it. Up front, I get candied fruits followed almost immediately by a disappearance of the candy sensation with lingering fruitiness. Breadiness tamps down the fruit before it takes over and then, just when I think it's dominated by the malt, the hops come into their own. All of it is followed by some warming alcohol that plays a role but never takes over. Actually, nothing takes over. Everything is insanely well balanced.

M: Mostly creamy with a sweetish finish but, as with everything about this beer, not too much. The hops dry it out enough that you don't get a sticky aftertaste.

O: If I was a condemned man and got to choose my last meal, this might well be it. There is so much going on in this beer that I think I could drink it over and over and never figure it out completely. This one was fresh but I have a bomber I'm going to age for a few years and I am really looking forward to seeing how it ages.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Bought a 4 pack of North Coast Pranqster since DD's were home for dinner.  It's a Belgian Strong Pale Ale rated 4.02 by BA.  Very good by my low standards, but not real strong.  Maybe I should try Old Rasputin.

Picked up a 12 pack of SA Oktoberfest, love that beer Big grin

I bought a "mystery" case at work today, made up of leftovers from breakage.

The worst two bottles:  Blue Moon Agave, so I cracked one of them first to get it out of the way.

Ugh.  Imagine the night of partying preceding a horrible hangover, during which a shot of tequila chased by a Blue Moon seemed like a good idea.  (It never is.)  This beer tastes like said indiscretion.

Love the Half

Bought a 4 pack of North Coast Pranqster since DD's were home for dinner.  It's a Belgian Strong Pale Ale rated 4.02 by BA.  Very good by my low standards, but not real strong.  Maybe I should try Old Rasputin.

Old Rasputin is insanely good but better served on a cold night than during the dog days of summer.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Had a draft Zombie Dust at Hopleaf Bar in Chicago this afternoon.  Great beer menu. Lots of Belgians.

Spent a week back home in Baltimore. Nothing but crab cakes and.....

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Love the Half

Natty Boh?  Holy hell, that is some nasty stuff.  Not sure it's as bad as Iron City but it's pretty bad.  Not all traditions deserved to be honored.  Joking

I DID enjoy a few finer brews, namely the Lot No3 India Pale Ale from Evolution Craft Brewing Company, and the very tasty Heavy Seas Loose cannon. Triple hopped with over three pounds per barrel. Perhaps I should have led with those. Smile

Natty Boh?  Holy hell, that is some nasty stuff.  Not sure it's as bad as Iron City but it's pretty bad.  Not all traditions deserved to be honored.  Joking

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Will run for scenery.

The first time I had one of those (2 decades ago, in Europe) stands out as one of the most memorable food/beverage tasting moments in my life.   It's where other beers hope to go when they die.

I drank one of the best beers on the planet tonight to celebrate a wonderful week at the beach with the family - St. Bernardus Abt 12.

I allowed the beer to warm to 55 degrees before pouring

A: A moderate pour reveals a beautiful dark ruby color with some haziness. Head is an off white that lingers 

S: All over the place. Initial sensation of toffee like sweetness followed by breadiness from the malt. Looking for the hops reveals, well, nothing. There's some candied fruit as well.

T: If it is possible to have every taste you can find in a beer, this is it. Up front, I get candied fruits followed almost immediately by a disappearance of the candy sensation with lingering fruitiness. Breadiness tamps down the fruit before it takes over and then, just when I think it's dominated by the malt, the hops come into their own. All of it is followed by some warming alcohol that plays a role but never takes over. Actually, nothing takes over. Everything is insanely well balanced.

M: Mostly creamy with a sweetish finish but, as with everything about this beer, not too much. The hops dry it out enough that you don't get a sticky aftertaste.

O: If I was a condemned man and got to choose my last meal, this might well be it. There is so much going on in this beer that I think I could drink it over and over and never figure it out completely. This one was fresh but I have a bomber I'm going to age for a few years and I am really looking forward to seeing how it ages.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Yeah I think that's true.  I came across the St. Bernardus 12 (without the name Sixtus) at a local store recently.  It was okay, but I didn't hear a chorus or anything.  I wasn't sure if maybe I was being too harsh, perhaps over-remembering how good it was.  But the truth is that cellars in Belgium don't change temperature at all, and shipping containers and warehouses do.

Haha, the temperature of the country doesn't change much at all Big grin.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Love the Half

Time for a beer review. Up tonight. Bridge Brew Works Peregrine Porter. It's a Baltic Porter and my first imperial porter. I love imperial stouts so I'm interested to see how it works in a porter.

Appearance: Pours a really nice dark brown with some deep ruby color when held to the light and tilted. Poured into a tulip, the head is a tan color that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing down the glass.

Smell: A lot going on in the nose. Initial impression is toffee sweetness followed by some dark fruit. Then, I get some roasty notes but not much and that is followed by some alcohol.

Flavor: Not nearly as sweet as the nose. The first thing is a lot of roast malt with some bitter chocolate and hints of coffee. Alcohol is a definite player in this beer and I can't decide whether it's overdone or if it's just right to cut the malt. I don't pick up any hops. As the beer warms, the alcohol recedes and the sweetness comes forward. I love a beer that changes character as it warms.

Mouthfeel: This is most definitely a dry beer. It's crisp in the mouth and it finishes dry. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a dryer porter. Between light, medium, and full bodied, I'd describe it as "medium" but the overall impression is "dry."

Overall: This is most definitely a big beer and not for the faint of heart. The BJCP style guideline for a "Baltic Porter" says the flavor is, "As with aroma, has a rich malty sweetness with a complex blend of deep malt, dried fruit esters, and alcohol" and this is pretty much spot on. The complexity as it warms adds another layer that is very interesting. Another great job by the guys in Fayetteville, WV who aren't afraid to brew a ballsy beer.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Third Shift Amber Lager tonight. Not quite "exotic" beer, but pretty tasty.

According to the bottle, it won a gold metal. Doesn't mean much to me - I just like how it tastes.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54