Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

Okay, now its cold out, so I'll finally try Old Rasputin.

I have had a lot of Imperial Stouts and that remains my favorite.  Unfortunately, it's not available where I live but when I'm traveling, if I see it on a shelf, I grab it.  I don't care if it's in the middle of the summer and I know it's been sitting there since last October.  It will still be good (perhaps better) when the cold of December blows in.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Just bought a 4 pack.  What should I eat with it, if anything?

Love the Half

I like big imperial stouts with desert.  It will also stand up well to any hearty meats or big creamy dish.  Aged gouda cheese would be wonderful with it.  One thing I would do is leave it sitting out for 30 minutes or so before you open it.  If you'll let it warm to about 50-55 degrees before pouring, you'll miss out on the unpleasant astringency that can accompany bigger beers and you'll pick up much more of the malty character.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Burgers, steak, shepard's pie, homemade mac'n'cheese, anything chocolate.

Avoid: tomato sauce

Ok, Celebration Ale time.  I really don't want to be that guy.  Really.  But....it seems disappointing this year.  2012 was pretty good, 2011 was phenomenal, this year:  meh.  I'm going to grab some Southern Tier Old Man Winter and see if possibly I'm just in a non-hops-appreciating phase or something.

P.S.  Bell's Winter White landed last week, our first year of Bell's in WNY.   SO GOOD.  We've dubbed it "Snowberon" at work, lol.  Similar brew but different yeast, perhaps.

Chasing the bus

Okay, now its cold out, so I'll finally try Old Rasputin.

Speaking of cold...5F here, first cold snap of the year as I finish my last ten fidy and contimplate doing ten tomorrow morning after the school drop off.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
              Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Dad on the run.

Picked up a 4 pack of Pinstripe Coffee Stout from Blue Pants brewery from Madison, AL.

$9.94 / 4 pack

8.0% alchohol by volume

This stuff is black with a tan head. Its not as black as say, ten fidy but I didn't see any light coming through.

I taste dark chocolate and coffee primarily with a little kick of alchohol on the way down.

I haven't had many stouts but the ones I have had doesn't seem to have nearly this much carbonation. Not sure if maybe there is an incosistency in the carbonation process because from what I've read it seems the bottle is more carbonated than if you get this on tap.

Now of course I'm sure LTH could give a much more detailed review of this beer Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Is it illegal to ship beer? Because I'd love to try the Sam Adams Maple Pecan Porter Wink

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Chasing the bus

Chocolate chip cookies are my fav.

Chasing the bus

Sam Adams cherry chocolate bock tonight. Think cherry coke, but good! Would be awesome with a paper tray of hot fries and catsup...maybe at the state fair.

Love the Half

Just opened a can of Denali Brewing's Twister Creek IPA.  I have a love/hate relationship with IPA's.  Done improperly, they just slam the palate with bitterness and you don't get squat other than that.  The sad thing is that it doesn't even matter what kind of hops you use.  Extracting the alpha acids for bitterness destroys all of the aroma.  This brew knocks you over with aroma and that's usually a good sign.  The color is lighter than most IPA's and pours a slightly hazy medium yellow - almost like a Belgian triple.  Assertive bitterness as expected in an IPA but not over the top.  Nicely balanced with some malty sweetness in the background.  Creamier mouthfeel than most IPA's.

Overall a very nice beer that isn't afraid to be an IPA but is more than just a ton of hops.  You really have to smell this beer though.  The aroma is the star.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Shiner Wild Hare (APA) tonight with Costco Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut.   Very good pairing.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Sam Adams cherry chocolate bock tonight. Think cherry coke, but good! Would be awesome with a paper tray of hot fries and catsup...maybe at the state fair.

I had that from the variety pack and it was my least favorite of the lot. Too much aftertaste for me.

Drinking a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale right now, one of my favorite seasonal beers.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Road trip to Munster.