Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Love the Half

So, for my 200th different beer as tracked on Untappd.com, I opened a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.  It's and American IPA and unfortunately, it's like a lot of American IPA's - hops, hops, and more hops.  I got a lot of hops on the nose but the beautiful dark amber color gave me some hope that there would be a decent malt backup to the hops.  Nah.  Just hops.  I've even looked for some maltiness at the back of the palate and after the beer has warmed a bit and it's just nowhere to be found.  A.B.V. is 6.8% so it's not really a candidate for aging to let it mellow.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Tonight's beer faceoff is Shiner White Wing Belgian White and Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale.  Split decision.

Love the Half

Details please.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

First tonight is Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel which translates as "Old Bavarian Dark Beer."  Poured a beautiful deep mahogany color with a white head that faded fairly quickly.  This beer is malt forward although not completely dominated by the malt profile.  Still, there are a lot of caramel and bready notes both on the nose and on the palate.  It's not a deeply complex beer but lagers aren't deeply complex beers anyway.  It is a terrific exemplar of the style.  It is truly a beer you could enjoy year round.  Lots and lots of flavor without anything being overpowering.  Really nice start to the evening.  I plan to follow it up with a Celebrator Double Bock.

Love the Half

As promised, following with a Celebrator Dopplebock.  God.  Just perfection in a bottle.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Details please.

Bought both of these at Binny's on sale for $8.  I voted for the Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale and DW voted for the Shiner White Wing.  Mirror Pond is an American Pale Ale that is well balanced and not bitter.  Not fruity and very easy to drink.  White Wing is a Witbier (Belgian white bier) according to BA.  Cloudy, and a little spicy and fruity.  It was good, but Im not a fan of fruity beer and DW is.  BA ratings are Mirror Pond, 3.9 (very good) and White Wing 3.4 (okay).

Had a Sam Adams Cold Snap the other night.

It's ok, but the constant procession of white ale with slightly different spices is getting silly.

Love the Half

I was wondering whether I should spring for a 6 of the Cold Snap.  Sounds like it might be OK if I can find a single but maybe not springing for a six pack.

I don't remember posting in this thread before but I may have to start. This just arrived locally this week. I picked up the last 6-pack at the store I stopped at tonight. I plan to hit a couple more tomorrow to see if I can get another 6-12.