Beginners and Beyond

Unlimited BEER thread. Who's game? (Read 199 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Does anyone else's state/area have alcohol laws/distribution as messed up as in Ontario? We buy alcohol at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) but you can't really get a two-four there, just single beers and six-packs. To get larger cases you need to go The Beer Store. You can buy wine in some grocery stores, but convenience stores are not allowed to see alcohol. The Beer Store has an 80% market share in beer in Ontario, but it's a complete joke.

In fact, the Beer Store is ultimately owned by three foreign multinationals: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Molson Coors and Sapporo. In what other country does an elected government act as an enabler for a foreign-owned cartel — based in Belgium, Brazil, the U.S. and Japan — that wields monopoly power on beer sales in such a lucrative, captive market? Who voted for this?

One other question: Which Trappist beers are available for sale in the US?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Pennsylvania's system is pretty fucked up as well.  To get beer you go to a privately owned beer distributer, but they can only sell in cases of 24+.   To get a six pack you could go to some bars/pizza joints which sell beer to go, but the prices are usually significantly higher.  No beer or any alcohol in grocery stores/convenience stores/gas stations.  To get wine or hard liquor, you have to go to a state run LCB store, where you can't get any beer OR any mixers like coke, orange juice, etc to make mixed drinks with.  So if you had a gathering where folks wanted to drink beer, wine, and/or mixed drinks you would need to go to at least three different stores which in my town are all at different ends.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Tried Bud Black Crown Amber.  It's not 3 Floyd's, but when you drink a lot of Bud 55 Select, it tastes pretty good.

One other question: Which Trappist beers are available for sale in the US?

I can't speak for everywhere, but the store I manage currently has Orval, Rochefort, Chimay, Westmalle, and Koenigshoven (La Trappe).  We've gotten Achel hit or miss, right now it's a miss.  Westy is a no, but when people come looking for it, we point them towards St. Bernardus as a similar alternative.

And yes, Ontario's beer distribution system is completely wacky.

aplodder

Susan

Pennsylvania's system is pretty fucked up as well.  To get beer you go to a privately owned beer distributer, but they can only sell in cases of 24+.   To get a six pack you could go to some bars/pizza joints which sell beer to go, but the prices are usually significantly higher.  No beer or any alcohol in grocery stores/convenience stores/gas stations.  To get wine or hard liquor, you have to go to a state run LCB store, where you can't get any beer OR any mixers like coke, orange juice, etc to make mixed drinks with.  So if you had a gathering where folks wanted to drink beer, wine, and/or mixed drinks you would need to go to at least three different stores which in my town are all at different ends.

I'm in PA, so pretty much this ^ except that  a Wegman's, a Giant Eagle, and a Sheetz are all allowed to sell beer because they have "restaurant seating."  This has just happened in the last few years.  All of those stores are about a 45 minute drive for me, but the two grocery stores have a "make your own 6 pack" option which is nice.  The governor is currently trying to privatize the State Stores.  We have some of the strangest liquor laws in the country.  I love going to another state and being able to buy a six pack in any supermarket.

this was soo good i bought it twice.

http://www.barleypop.com/beer-review-delirium-tremens/

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

LRB

Does anyone else's state/area have alcohol laws/distribution as messed up as in Ontario? We buy alcohol at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) but you can't really get a two-four there, just single beers and six-packs. To get larger cases you need to go The Beer Store. You can buy wine in some grocery stores, but convenience stores are not allowed to see alcohol. The Beer Store has an 80% market share in beer in Ontario, but it's a complete joke. 

I have experienced this when staying in Ontario for the weekend.  It was one of the most bizarre things ever just to get some damn drink to have in the mo-mo.

Dad on the run.

Just FYI we tried them all in the course of many many hours Saturday night. But WOW what a great night we had, lots of beer, loads of laughter, good times, good times. The higher end beers (St. Bernardus, Chimay, Gulden Draak) were good but really different. I think it would take me more than just a 750ml bottle to really acquire a taste for something like that.

With that being said I really enjoyed the Leffe and the Sweetwater IPA. The Good People pale to me was just ok, but I"m no beer expert, in fact this is the first time I have drank anything other than Sam Adams, Blue Moon or your typical light beer.

Hop City however was an amazing store with a HUGE variety of beer and wine. Planning on having anoher beer adventure this weekend!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Ken WD

Does anyone else's state/area have alcohol laws/distribution as messed up as in Ontario?

I don't think any US jurisdiction (aside from dry counties) are worse then Ontario, but Ontario isn't the worst province. To rank the provinces in terms of how good the liquor laws are, it would be something like:

1. Alberta

2. Quebec

3. BC

4. NS

5. Saskatchewan

6. Ontario

7. New Brunswick

8. Newfoundland

9. Manitoba

10. PEI

Alberta has private stores that have much better selection (even though the province is a lot smaller in terms of population) and hours, but their prices are generally higher than Ontario due to higher provincial taxes raised by Stelmach in 2009. On the lower end of provincial laws, it is basically illegal to even open up a brewpub in Manitoba.

Dad on the run.

Had this  last night It was delicious. Spent my night drinking beer and playing Gear of War 3 with a friend Smile

I also picked up 2 sets of these glasses yesterday!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

LRB

I am still on the wagon but I do occasionally still window shop, plus I could not let this glorious thread fall off the front page!

There is my baby on the bottom right.  Hey sweetheart, I miss you!

aplodder

Susan

I am still on the wagon but I do occasionally still window shop, plus I could not let this glorious thread fall off the front page!

This thread needs a "like" button.

Anybody got a favorite "cheap" beer?  I'm not talking Pabst or Old Milwaukee.  I'm talking under $30 a case.

Well if I had to pick one, I'm going top left.

But LRB man, gotta go with the local Michigan brews! So many good ones.

Place nearby me has a whole build-your-own-6 pack cooler, with lots of great options, local and otherwise.

Dave

LRB

But LRB man, gotta go with the local Michigan brews! So many good ones.

Place nearby me has a whole build-your-own-6 pack cooler, with lots of great options, local and otherwise.

Yep, Bells two hearted is my number one.  I drink Boston Lager when out and about or just casually.  I went through the taste tour for a couple of months and sampled quite a few.  Sampling is cool but I always have my Bells and Sam Adams BL close by...when I have them that is.

Smashy!!!

Enjoying Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold tonight. Pretty good. But I still like the Eliot Ness more.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)