Beginners and Beyond

Cold Feet Penguins Mondailies (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did my 63rd race of the year on Saturday.  HUGE after-party!    Report and photos:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/fb84d7f97da047adb8f4430546e54ed5/resume#focus

Followed that up on Sunday by doing some hills.  Went out to Fort Sam Houston at around 8 a.m.    Overcast and 45 degrees so not bat at all, especially as there was no wind.   My plan was do to 3 miles of hills, but I felt good so I kept going....and going...and going.  When I got back to the gym and checked my timer I found I'd done a run/walk for an hour!  Haven't gone that long in a while.  Ended up with 5.3 miles done and 8 hills run - and not little hills either.  I was a bit tired at the end, but the 'good' kind of tired.   Plan for after work today is weight training circuit. 

Just trying to stay warm right now...this morning San Antonio temp was 32 degrees!  That equates to 'arctic' temperature for we South Texans!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Scotty! Morning penguins!

Currently battling a bad cold Sad trying to be at peace with the fact that I already missed 2 runs and will likely miss more because my goal half is Sunday and rest and getting better is more important than running at this point in time.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

PADRunner

Morning. Probably a RD for me. I've got to pickup my treadmill after work! Might try to get it setup in time to run a little.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates, 5 and weights will probably turned into heavy weights once I can move the Pilates class.  Resting the knee today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Morning pengs

Rest day for me today. The artic blast is almost here. We will have negative wind chills by the afternoon 

I will do some strength and rolling stuff later. My right ITB is a little cranky today too.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Morning pengs

Rest day for me today. The artic blast is almost here. We will have negative wind chills by the afternoon 

I will do some strength and rolling stuff later. My right ITB is a little cranky today too.

Our high is 85F.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Our high is 85F.

Time to break out the gloves D.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Conferences this week for us.  And with our school schedule, that means I need to work 16 extra hours between now and next Monday, in exchange for 8 hours pay and Tuesday off.  Not a bad deal since I'll be on a plane Tuesday morning, but sucks this week.  I'll be home late, but still want to get in 6-8.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! I tweaked my knee somehow yesterday, so I'm gimping around today. Which is annoying, because I'd made so much progress! But I have a massage scheduled for tonight, so I'm looking forward to that.

Scotty -- sounds like an awesome run!! Yeah, it's getting frickin' cold here too, and rainy today.

kristin -- Sorry about your cold, hope you feel better soon!!

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your new treadmill!!

Docket -- Sounds busy!! What's up with your knee?

traci -- have a good RD and rolling!!

Zelanie -- Wow, you sound busy too!! Hope all goes well, and hope you get your run in!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Easy miles and strides for me later today. DD2 ran very well yesterday and her team qualified for the regional final. Of course that is next Sunday so now our trip to Zion is really delayed. We will just have to leave Sunday instead. She wants to run so we are not going to stop her. Dang. I really like Zion.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, Penguins!! I tweaked my knee somehow yesterday, so I'm gimping around today. Which is annoying, because I'd made so much progress! But I have a massage scheduled for tonight, so I'm looking forward to that.

Scotty -- sounds like an awesome run!! Yeah, it's getting frickin' cold here too, and rainy today.

kristin -- Sorry about your cold, hope you feel better soon!!

PAD -- Woo-hoo for your new treadmill!!

Docket -- Sounds busy!! What's up with your knee?

traci -- have a good RD and rolling!!

Zelanie -- Wow, you sound busy too!! Hope all goes well, and hope you get your run in!!

Pics in yesterday's dailies.  I tripped, fell, scraped and bloodied my knee.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, sorry about that!  I'll probably skip the pics, though ... 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sounds like a lovely run yesterday.  You seem to be liking this cooler weather.  Have fun at the gym.

Kristin - bad timing on the cold.  Take it easy and drink lots of fluids.  Which race next weekend?  Good luck.

PAD - which treadmill did you end up buying?

Damaris - sorry you got hurt.  I hope you heal up quickly.

Traci - have a good rest day.  Good idea to rest the ITB if it's bothering you.

HopesMom - I'm sorry you hurt your knee again.  Something you did or did it come out of nowhere?  I've been having a problem with my left knee the past week or so.  Only when climbing steep hills, so I can run, but boy does it hurt when I'm hiking.

Z - where are you spending Thanksgiving?  Good luck with your conferences.  I hope you manage to keep up your running.

Jack - congratulations to your daughter, but too bad about postponing your trip to Zion.  At least you can enjoy your 5k without having to worry about running late.  Or does this mean that you won't be able to run your race?

AFM:  rainy day, so I'll do a few recovery miles on the TM later.  It's a sip some hot chocolate, hole up under an afghan with a good book, sort of day.

Singer who runs a smidge

I wasn't doing anything unusual, just walking up the stairs to do some laundry.  I heard two distinct crunch noises, and it felt somewhat unstable the rest of the night.  I iced it last night, and I ice both knees every morning anyway.  It's definitely not as bad as my knee has hurt in the past, but also not as good as it's felt in recent weeks.  I suspect this puts the nail in the coffin of 2015 in 2015.  Why sign up if I've limped through the past year and a half?  Le sigh ...