Beginners and Beyond

Cicada Wednesday Dailies (Read 21 times)

3 flat

Almost all the cars in my neighborhood have bunches of cicadas hanging out on their tires this morning

Docket_Rocket

Sheesh.

I have 8 at some point. Asthma follow up appointment later this morning.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 miles with intervals (6,5,4,3,2,1 minutes). Lots of cicadas on the ground in all forms--live, dead, shells. Haven't gotten them on my car yet, will not be happy to have smushed bugs everywhere after losing my place in the garage.

delicate flower

'Hola, tacos muchachos!  60 minutes done on the bike trainer at a very easy shakeout effort.  I've got a tempo run on the schedule today, but I'm going to skip it and just run.  It's going to be close to 90 degrees, so the heat acclimation will be enough of a workout, not to mention I have a HM Saturday and want to keep things somewhat easy until then.  cool story

New Dog slept until 5:30 this morning.  Good puppy!!  She gets her first obedience lesson this afternoon.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

No cicadas in sight here yet, though we had a ton of them several years ago when the last major brood came out (funny thing is, while we couldn't walk without stepping on them, my parents had very few despite being less than 30 miles away).

6 miles slow and labored for me today.  Not sure why so slow.  Just one of those days, I guess.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Morning!  4.5 slow easy miles for me. Ran 8.5 fairly hard yesterday morning, did some PT last night and my legs were pretty much toast this morning.

No cicadas in SE MI that I've seen or heard about. Weather here is warming fast with mid-80s the next few days and upper 80s for the weekend.

BTW, how about that no-no for the Tigers last night! Dave, hope you were up watching!

KCRuns

Good morning!

I swam 1000m this morning and feel pretty good right now, not that extreme exhaustion I was feeling after the first few times.

I will run on the TM during lunch.

BTW, how about that no-no for the Tigers last night! Dave, hope you were up watching!

I was not watching, but I saw the alerts pop up on my phone! Glad to see some good news for the Tigers for a change. A lot of no-hitters this year already.

It was 43 degrees his morning, WTF? And looked like rain but the Weather Channel said 15% so I figured no prob & didn’t take my hat. Went to the track, and after staying dry for the warmup, it decided to start raining pretty hard for the workout. Which sucked because I really could have used the hat to keep it out of my eyes. Then of course stopped raining for my cooldown. Anyway, I ran 3 x 2 miles around tempo pace. Not too bad: 6:52, 6:44, 6:48. It was hard, especially the last one, but got it done. I actually did the middle one clockwise, which I’ve never done. Weird! Now I’m very wet.

Dave

delicate flower

On the subject of baseball, I see Tony LaRussa is ok with an opposing pitcher beaning his own player.  Oof...that is not a good look for a manager.  You've got to publicly stand up for your guys in a situation like that.  I can see calling his player out for lack of hustle or something like that, but you never takes sides against the family.  Ever.

<3

On the subject of baseball, I see Tony LaRussa is ok with an opposing pitcher beaning his own player.  Oof...that is not a good look for a manager.  You've got to publicly stand up for your guys in a situation like that.  I can see calling his player out for lack of hustle or something like that, but you never takes sides against the family.  Ever.

Yeah that's weird, considering how old-school (and just plain old) he is.

Also, Tim Kurkjian writes on ESPN.com how the increase in strikeouts is "destroying the sport." Easy there, Timmy.

Dave

delicate flower

Yeah that's weird, considering how old-school (and just plain old) he is.

Also, Tim Kurkjian writes on ESPN.com how the increase in strikeouts is "destroying the sport." Easy there, Timmy.

I thought too much offense was destroying the sport?  Or the designated hitter?  Or games being too long?  Or outrageous contracts?

<3

I thought too much offense was destroying the sport?  Or the designated hitter?  Or games being too long?  Or outrageous contracts?

Not to mention free agency, steroids, labor disputes, and of course all that facial hair.

Strikeout totals certainly have been going through the roof, and of course have been increasing over the last couple decades. Which makes it all the more amazing to me that the all-time strikeout leader is still Reggie Jackson who retired in 1987. The closest active player is Justin Upton, still >700 Ks behind. And even the single-season record is still held by Mark Reynolds, 12 years ago.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Asthma follow up was today. 79-81% on the test, which might explain why I have been racing well. Glad to see that than my normal 50-60%!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sdWhiskers

A lot of no-hitters this year already.

Too many. Far less exciting when one happens every week.

sdWhiskers

5 easy miles

No cicadas here. Instead it's snail season which means crunch crunch crunch. I try to avoid them, especially the huge ones but sometimes the sidewalk has hundreds of baby ones. So gross.