Beginners and Beyond

Pearl Izumi Ads (Read 123 times)

Birdwell

I'm sure by now, everyone and their dog has heard about the Pearl Izumi ad that ran in a Canadian magazine. If you haven't, google it.

I'm not interested in that one, but wanted to share some others I've seen, and see what y'all think. Do you find these offensive?

I like them. I think it comes down to effort, not pace. Pearl Izumi seems to be more interested in those willing to put everything on the line in training and racing, than those looking to check something off a "bucket list"

happylily

Birdwell

posted: 06/09/2013 at 7:18 PM

I'm thinking about going over there and starting a thread of the pearl Izumi ads about "joggers'.

I may do it in the RW beginners forum too. I've got two hours to kill before the rodeo (an actual rodeo with cowboys and everything)

Awww... Looking for a little Friday meltdown?  Little Birdy is bored? Big grin I have no problems with the ads, btw, 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Runners should do other runners to spread the runner genes? HA! That is funny! I like it. But I don't like how much they make fun of slow runners Cry!!!  Being completely and totally honest, not that I *really* care or am *actually* offended, but I would be reluctant to buy Pearl Izumi products because they are only for "real" runners and "elite" runners and not "slow" runners like me. Even my all out 5K pace is probably jogging to "real" runners so I guess I am not good enough for Pearl Izumi (I am saying this kind of tongue-in-cheek....but it has a little bit of truth).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Birdwell

Birdwell

I'm thinking about going over there and starting a thread of the pearl Izumi ads about "joggers'.

I may do it in the RW beginners forum too. I've got two hours to kill before the rodeo (an actual rodeo with cowboys and everything)

Awww... Looking for a little Friday meltdown?  Little Birdy is bored? Big grin I have no problems with the ads, btw, 

Hey! what happens in L&O stays in L&O. (in other words. First rule of L&O, You do not talk about L&O!)

But seriously, are these offensive? The L&O crowd has a different take than many, I'm just curious if other people don't like them.

I posted two things on my Facebook today the first was "Being a runner isn't about Pace, it's about effort. with the right effort, the pace will come." I had a lot of friends respond and comment. The second thing I posted was the first two ads here. I haven't heard a thing about them. No likes, comments or anything. In my mind, the two posts are trying to convey the same message, yet nobody responded to the ads.

It just makes me curious.

Birdwell

Runners should do other runners to spread the runner genes? HA! That is funny! I like it. But I don't like how much they make fun of slow runners Cry!!!  Being completely and totally honest, not that I *really* care or am *actually* offended, but I would be reluctant to buy Pearl Izumi products because they are only for "real" runners and "elite" runners and not "slow" runners like me. Even my all out 5K pace is probably jogging to "real" runners so I guess I am not good enough for Pearl Izumi (I am saying this kind of tongue-in-cheek....but it has a little bit of truth).

I don't think they are against "slow" runners, I think they're against people unwilling to put forth the best effort possible.

To me real runners (Pearl Izumi) = giving it all you've got, kicking hard and passing out at the finish line

joggers (not who they're looking for)= those with enough energy to hi-five and blow kisses to adoring fans as they go through the finishers chute, at a casual walking pace.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I see it for what it is.  It's a marketing strategy.  It has nothing to do with what they actually care about.

I used to promote powerlifting meets, and sell supplies, etc.  Every sport, including running, needs the casual participant, weekend warrior and back of the pack crowd.  If only the elites showed up, they wouldn't be able to afford the expo, road closure, security, advertising, awards, etc.  I don't think the true competitors really mind the people who aren't in a corral with them.  I think many appreciated them, and respect them.

Pearl Izumi simply sees their niche as marketing to a small portion of the running community, which is the more elitist type of runner.  They play into their ego, and know that they'll pay more to not be lumped in with what they consider, "joggers".  Meanwhile, Pearl Izumi can spend less on marketing because they're targeting a small crowd.  They can manufacture in a smaller facility, with less overhead and focus on margin over market share.

Their shoes don't make you a real runner.  They aren't taking up a social cause.  The point is to get the money from your account, and into their account.  That's all.  It's nothing to get excited about, or upset about.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jess runs for bacon

Birdwell

Thanks for the heads up Smile

delicate flower

Bird, have you not seen these ads before today?  They're like five years old and now you're posting them all over the internet.  Are you going to show us the hamster dance website next?

<3

Birdwell

Bird, have you not seen these ads before today?  They're like five years old and now you're posting them all over the internet.  Are you going to show us the hamster dance website next?

I've been running less than 18 months. So, umm, no. I'm a beginner.

And trying to have a serious conversation, regardless of how some people have portrayed it.

p.s. is there really a hamster dance website?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I like awood's response.... you are very right, I am sure!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks.  The person who claims to want to have a serious conversation seems to want to ignore the serious response...lol  I'm glad someone noticed it.

I like awood's response.... you are very right, I am sure!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

LRB

Timely thread, I just ordered my third Pearl Izumi singlet about an hour ago.

Do not sleep on PI, them shits be the troof yo.

Village people

I have not seen these ads before. Really.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I haven't seen them before

Birdwell

And furthermore, I thought I'd share a real life example of the pace vs. effort thing. Since so many people seem to think pace is the only indicator of a real runner.

I was a swimmer through high school and into college. Not to brag, but I was fast. As in Olympic trials qualifying times fast (didn't go, but that's a story for another day)

There was a kid on my team. Dave. He loved swimming. He loved being on the team and being part of something big. He was smiling every time I saw him. He was a happy person and a good guy to be around. There was only one little problem. Dave sucked. He was awful. His form was terrible, his coordination was bad. He struggled breathing.

He was slow. Dave never won anything. He was dead last in EVERY single event he ever swam.

Dave was at practice 30 minutes before me every single day. He set up lane lines, set out chairs. He was there an hour after I left, working on his stroke and trying to get his technique down. It was a lost cause in my opinion. I really liked Dave.

One meet, I decided that it was time for Dave to win something. We had an opponent coming up that was from a pretty small school, and I knew how fast most of the kids were. I decided that It would be the perfect time. We'd put Dave into the relay (4x50 freestyle). Have him swim second or third leg, and come away with the win. The day of the meet shows up. Unfortunately, our second best swimmer forgot to show up (family emergency or something). We only had three guys able to to participate. I talked it over with the meet officials, and got permission to do the relay with three swimmers. I'd swim the first and last leg. Dave would swim second.

I started and had a good size lead built (1/2 pool length 25 meter pool). Dave dived in and lost our entire lead in his first 25 meters. By the time he got finished, we were down 1/2 pool length. Our third leg took off, got us within 3-4 body lengths, then I took the final leg, and we won the relay by about a body length. First Place. The first thing Dave says to me when I get out of the pool? "I'm sorry I was so slow"

Seriously Dave? I wanted to cry. I told him to shut up, and enjoy the win. He didn't need to apologize. I knew what we were getting into.

He gave it his best effort, and that was enough. His first and only time on the podium, he got to stand on top.

Dave was a real swimmer.