Beginners and Beyond

Unexpected "find" turns a crappy run into an enjoyable run. (Read 195 times)

Philliefan33

Tuesday after work I drove to a local park, intending to use the asphalt path around the lake for a 6-8 mile run.

The thermometer said 44º, but the wind was brutal so it felt much colder.  I left the house thinking I probably overdressed a bit, but it was worse than I thought and a mile into the run I was cold and miserable.  The wind was assaulting me, my legs were dead, and I wasn't looking forward to the next hour.  I was wondering why I ever signed up for the stupid HM at the end of April -- etc. (we've all had those bad runs, right?).  Two miles into the run I came to a section of the park that has hiking trails in the woods.  In desparation to get out of the wind, I decided to go exploring.

What a nice change of pace!  Literally, since I had to slow down to navigate over/around tree roots and rocks and logs...but also mentally.  Instead of battling the wind and my negative feelings, I relaxed and enjoyed the new surroundings.  A trail sign pointed to "Pooh Tree Loop" and I couldn't pass that up.  (A photo of the tree is below.)

I ended up with a six mile run, overall pace much slower than it should have been according to "the plan".  The run probably did very little for my "training"....but the change in routine worked wonders for my pschye.  I picked up a trail map on my way out of the park -- I'm going to include some trail runs in my summer outings.

How can one stay grumpy after following the Pooh Tree Loop trail and finding this?

flarunner

That sounds great! Oh, and I'm going to have to disagree with this: The run probably did very little for my "training"....

Did you spot Pooh's jar of honey in the tree?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice story! I had to battle the wind yesterday also. Nice to find a little reprieve !

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mostly harmless

Nice post (and I love the picture)! Trail runs are a great change of pace for me too.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

B-Plus

Good stuff. I hit the trails for the first time in years over the weekend just to get a refreshing change of scenery.

happylily

What a funny looking tree! It was made to bring a smile to those looking at it. :-)

It sounds like it was such a lovely run, so much better than a windy one! I wouldn't say that it was useless for your training. I'm sure you had to use other muscles and abilities of yours on the trail. Trail running is not all that easy...

Thanks for sharing this!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gotta love runs like that, that end up that way!   And the run probably did help your training.  With trail running, you make many more 'twists and turns' and lateral movements than with road running, and all that lateral movement helps strengthen your calves, ankles, etc.  That will definitely assists your training.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

It's amazing what a change in scenery can do. Just last week ran on some trails I hadn't run in awhile... came home covered in mud but I probably had the biggest smileSmile.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Don't call me Buttercup!

If that run changed your perspective and perked you up, then it probably did WONDERS for your training.  =)    Yay for Pooh! LOL

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Luke79

That tree looks inviting.  Gotta love a spontaneous and uplifting trail run.

Hip Redux

I love trail runs for exactly that reason - gets your mind off of the monotony and you can just lose yourself in the run!

hog4life

Phillie, I will have to agree with others, the slower pace on trails will not hurt training. Odd looking tree, hmm.

Pinktastic

I love it when you choose the road less taken and end up with a glorious adventure!!  Thanks for sharing!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Mostly harmless

That settles it. Going on a trail run today. Thanks for the inspiration!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi