Beginners and Beyond

Penguins 2sDAILY (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs and visitors.  3 miles after work for me, or possibly 3.5 if its really nice out.

Great new profile picture Zel.

Have a great seis de Mayo.

on my way to badass

Morning Pens! Thanks for starting us off Jerry. Enjoy your miles. 3 easy for me this morning.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 and weights tonight, although I'll do the weights first hoping the heat just vanishes, haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very clever title, Jerry, lol. Good luck with your miles later.

Good luck with your miles too, StoneFence, if you have not done them already.

hoping the heat just vanishes.  

Oh, Damaris....

Nice photo from last night, Zelanie.  Gee, I didn't even notice your expression, I was busy admiring those Great Legs of yours.

AFM:  I was going to run after work today, but Weather Man said the temp was shooting up to 93 degrees today - which is not so bad - but the flippin' heat index was going to be close to 100 degrees...that's bad.  So I was up at 4:30 a.m. this morning and went to one of my YMCAs and started and finished my run/walk there.  3.4 miles done, with 7 hills along the way, two of them GIANT hills.  Also, let me tell you, running in the early a.m. near the Zoo before sunrise can be kinda creepy, hearing all those animal sounds coming out of the dark  at you.  I got two good 'scares' also, lol, when I was running up the Zoo Giant Hill.  Heard something move in the brush to the right of me and then this darn coyote suddenly came whipping  out onto the road and then ran into the brushy area on the other side - talk about getting startled....dang!  Made me back-pedal a step or two!   Then as I neared the top of the hill, I saw what I thought was a plastic trash bag -  irresponsible people are always littering up on this road behind the zoo, it's pretty sad - and then the trash bag stood up! About scared the life outta me, lol.  It was one of our city's homeless folks, who had found a spot up here to sleep.  Sadly, I see quite a few of these folks on some of my running routes around the city. We said good morning to each other and then I gave him a $15 gift card I was carrying for the cafe next to the Y -  I was going to use it to after I got back to the Y to get a post-run drink and a quick breakfast munchie but what the heck, some folks need it more than me - and told him to use it to get some breakfast this morning.  And then I was on my way again and for the last half of my run I had no more scares, thank goodness!     Felt strong while I was out there and killed all 7 hills, getting up them all in good order.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Bahahaha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Nice miles today all around, so far, so I will add 5 to that list.

Scotty: Like you, we didn't even get a spring, though right now it is overcast. Let's hope it stays that way. Temps are in the mid 60s but that is likely to change.

Have a good day.

obiebyke

I think today's going to turn into a RD for me. I have to pick my cat up from surgery and I want to stay home and make sure he's okay instead of going to Bodypump. Maybe I'll do some strength training with my exercise ball, etc.

Yesterday I completed my run with a slightly higher cadence per my PT. It's so hard! I feel like I have to run faster just to keep my turnover in pace with the metronome. My easy runs don't feel as easy anymore.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Morning!   Today I have 6ish after work.  DD is home sick, hopefully she starts feeling better soon- she already missed quite a bit of school for robotics.

Zoe had her final checkup at the vet yesterday, and he was really happy with her progress.  He doesn't see any weakness on that side at all, and he was having her leap up onto stuff, etc.  She is cleared for 30-40 minutes of full off-leash play, increasing by 15 minutes every 2 weeks.

Jerry- Coming back strong!

SF- Enjoy the easy miles!

D- Good luck with that, ha!

Scotty- That was so kind of you to give up your gift card!  Hopefully he was able to get a good meal with it!

Jack- "May gray", yes?

obie- Hope the kitty is feeling OK!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Then as I neared the top of the hill, I saw what I thought was a plastic trash bag - irresponsible people are always littering up on this road behind the zoo, it's pretty sad - and then the trash bag stood up

I gave him a $15 gift card I was carrying for the cafe next to the Y -  I was going to use it to after I got back to the Y to get a post-run drink and a quick breakfast munchie but what the heck, some folks need it more than me - and told him to use it to get some breakfast this morning.  

Kudos to you Scotty!!  I LOL'd at the first part though!!

4 on the hamster wheel for me tonight.....(or maybe even venture outside if last night's wind doesn't return).

Brutal hill climbing on the bike last night and I, too, was out in some serious darkness.  35mph down a hill in the dark w/ a headlight on low battery is probably not too smart.  But at least I didn't hit a walking trashbag!  

Randy

PADRunner

Morning all. Took yesterday off and made up for it today with 7.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, dinner at the Cheesecake Factory with DH last night was quite lovely -- good food, and no wait at all, we just walked right in!  Now I have leftovers of both dinner and cheesecake, and I am happy.  Ginny, you asked yesterday where DH and I were flying to -- his folks live in Prosser, WA, so we're heading there in July.  For those of you who don't know Washinton has a split personality, this is the DESERT side!  It'll be a furnace in July, but oh well.  Tonight I'm assembling a chicken casserole for Thursday's chorus potluck, and also hoping to fit in some yoga.

Jerryb -- hope it's really nice out for you!!

Stone -- woo-hoo for your 3 easy!!

Docket -- I'm sure if you just wish on the right star, your no-heat dream will come true!!

Scotty -- glad the coyote didn't eat you, and what a nice thing to do for the homeless guy!!

Jack -- woo-hoo for your five!!

obie -- changing turnover is NOT easy!!  I tried shooting for 180 for a while, but I'm really much happier at about 176.  It'll help if you take shorter steps!

Zelanie -- glad Zoe is doing so well!!  Hope DD feels better!!

redrum -- maybe the wind will die down and you can get off the hamster wheel!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 7!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - enjoy your three plus this afternoon.  I'm glad your knee is behaving.

Amy - nice early start.

Damaris - if you do your run at midnight, it might be cooler.

Scotty - smart choice, running early.  Fun to see the coyote.  I wonder who was more startled though, you or the homeless man.  He probably wasn't expecting anybody out that early.

Jack - hope the five went well.  60's is perfect.

Obiebyke - shorter steps make the faster cadence easier, I think.  I hope your kitty is better today.

Z - I'm glad that Zoe is doing so much better.  Enjoy your six later.  Sorry about your daughter though.  Maybe let down after all the excitement of the competition.  A lot of people get sick after a big event.

Redrum - hope the hamster wheel doesn't get to you too badly, or that the wind dies down so you can go outside. We had 20-30 mpw winds the other day.  I didn't run.  Riding a bike in the dark is scary.  Glad you made it safely.

PAD - that's a good morning run. Hope it went well.

HM - I've driven through eastern Washington briefly, many years ago.  We'll be back in the NW this summer, so perhaps will get to explore that area a bit more. Anything out there worth visiting? Have fun at yoga.

AFM:  DH is taking the truck to get new tires for our trip west, so I'm riding with him to the garage then running back to the house, about 7 or 8 miles.  It's a beautiful 70 degree day, sunny and breezy, so I'm looking forward to it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Temps in the mid-60s?  Better be careful, Jack, saying things like that...Damaris and I might come over and maul you, lol.  My temp this morning at when I started my run/walk just a little after 5 a.m., was already 73 degrees, with humidity in the 80 percentile...and I'm sure Damaris' temps were even higher than mine.  Mid-60s indeed, harumph!

Good luck to your cat, obiebyke!  You run with a metronome?  That must be a pain to carry along with you.

Yay for Zoe, Zelanie, glad she is doing so well.  Oh, and by the way, Zelanie:    When I was reading the forum posts this morning, one of my work study students popped over to ask a question.  I just happened to have your photo up from last night.  He saw it and said "Wow, she's pretty hot...is that a younger relative of yours and is she single and can I meet her?"  This kid - very nice, very smart too - is all of 21 years old.  I asked him "How old do you think she is?" and he said "I dunno, I guess maybe 23 to 27 years old, somewhere in there."  You are now officially 'college kid hawt', Zelanie. 

Dang, redrum, 35mph down a hill on a bike in the dark...and I thought I was crazy!  Glad you are still alive and uninjured!   Yeah, it was pretty funny this morning, after I realized what/who it was I laughed at myself.

Congrats on the 7, PAD!

Yeah, I know the desert side of WA, HsM...my wife grew up in Wenatchee, which is on the opposite side from Seattle, etc.  That place gets REAL winter and very hot summers.   BTW, after reading your garden post yesterday I went and got some strawberry sticks from the candy store and stuck them in the ground and waited for them to grow...and nada....very disappointing....

I'm glad I did run early, Ginny, cuz now we are starting to get some thunder around here and seeing some lightning.  I will run in a lot of weather, but if there is lightning out, forget it, had a bad experience with it once.   Nice weather for you, hope your miles went great and you enjoyed everything all the way!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, don't you pack "coyote" treats on your runs?

Time for the 3 miler.