Beginners and Beyond

WOW...there's a BA runner in my area (Read 193 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

After the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis I was looking at the results and noticed that a guy from a small town near my house ran a 2:33.  He's 25 years old.  I just read in the paper that he ran a 2:28 at Boston, and placed 68th.  He told the paper that he ran a "couple of marathons" before Boston.  I have to meet this man, or machine.  If it's true that he's only ran a couple of marathons, and he PR'ed Boston by 5 minutes I have to wonder what his potential is.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Definitely not PQ (penguin qualified).

hog4life

Awood, there is an elite guy local here too. He did Boston last year and finished in the top 50. I've met and talk to him when I see him at local races. He usually wins most if not all the races around here. He's in his late 20's or early 30's and a really nice guy. He does the 5k in like 15:06, HM at 1:06ish, Full's are around 2:30. Amazing to watch him run too.

LRB

Go light with the adulation should you meet him though, a lot of those guys are PO'd about their times. I met a 2:15 runner at Hansons once and he was none too pleased that he could not get below 2:10.

In fact, his running cohorts in the shop were joking that they were going to have to "put him out to pasture".  Hard to fathom but that's the life of the elite and sub-elite runners.  Tough love.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'd like to ask him how many horse turds he has to jump over the course of a 20 mile training run.  The town he lives in has nice wide shoulders on the road, but they're usually occupied by Amish buggies.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

This is a convoluted story/sequence of assumptions that doesn't have much to do with the OP:

I was running the other night and a woman runner passed me going the other way.  She was flying but when I saw her face she was relaxed and at an easy effort.  I've never seen the woman out running before.

I know of a pair of local Kenyan runners from the next town over, one of whom is a sub-elite.  According to the girl at the LRS (who just so happens to be Kip Keino's daughter) the sub-elite guy is her trainer.  I'm assuming that these Kenyan guys are pretty well hooked in with Kip Keino.  The other local Kenyan runner has the last name of Rotich.  By powers of deduction, I've decided that the woman I saw running was Caroline Rotich, who has won a few big ticket marathons and halfs .  I looked at some pictures and it could have been her.  It seems like there is a small pocket of Kenyan runners quietly training in my area.

If I see her again I'm going to try saying that name and see if I get a reaction.

End of convoluted story/sequence of assumptions

Any chance  you've already seen the guy out running?  Maybe try mixing up the time of when you run.

**Ask me about streaking**

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Actually, I'm pretty sure I say him out running one day when I was picking up my car from the mechanic.  I saw his picture on my college's website.  I guess he graduated 10 years after me, and was on the cross country team.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I think it's pretty hard to hide when you are covering that much ground that fast.  Unless he's holed up in some training camp, I'd bet you start seeing him frequently now that you're looking.

Zelanie

I think it's pretty hard to hide when you are covering that much ground that fast.  Unless he's holed up in some training camp, I'd bet you start seeing him frequently now that you're looking.

Unless he does his training like this:

Do you see how much air Rupp is getting on a TM?  Holy cow!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Unless he does his training like this:

True

Do you see how much air Rupp is getting on a TM?  Holy cow!

And true

delicate flower

That Rupp picture is cool/freaky/wtf.  I've gotten the treadmill up to 10 mph and am always a little nervous about flying off the thing.

<3

Zelanie

That Rupp picture is cool/freaky/wtf.  I've gotten the treadmill up to 10 mph and am always a little nervous about flying off the thing.

Yeah, you almost think he needs a longer belt just to contain his stride.  He and Farah were training in Portland this past week and an Oregonian photographer followed them around and took pictures of their training.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, you almost think he needs a longer belt just to contain his stride.  He and Farah were training in Portland this past week and an Oregonian photographer followed them around and took pictures of their training.

That TM looks freaking tiny compared to him/his stride!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Love the Half

While 2:33 is way faster than I'll ever run, it's fairly pedestrian.  There are plenty of world class elites who run sub 2:15 in their first marathon.  Sammy Wanjiru's first marathon was a 2:06:39.  Traditionally, the best marathoners came out of the 5,000 and 10,000 ranks although the money is such these days that runners are turning to the marathon early in their careers.  You can look him up on Athlinks.com and see his results from other races.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Awood, you would be surprised how many speeders we have in our area.  LOTS of sub 3 marathoners.  We also have MickeyD (from RWOL) in the area who is a 3 hour female marathoner.  She was the 2007 RRCA Female Open Runner of the Year.  We have many others as well.  We have 1 that I know of that runs masters elite level as well.