Beginners and Beyond

Going the Distance Grows Shorter For Some (Read 115 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/sports/going-the-distance-grows-shorter-for-many-runners.html?_r=2

What do you guys think? Sadly Evansville's ONLY marathon has been cancelled indefinitely, SIC (Southern Indiana Classic)'s facebook page had posted the news and it was upsetting, even more so when a few comments were complaining about the course being too much around farms with the smell of horses and cows..... personally I'd rather be inhaling farm animals' smells than exhaust fumes but I am used to running on country roads anyways. I never really had plans of running that marathon in particular because of it being in April - 2012 it was cancelled due to high heat and humidity, last year I heard it was just awful and I think one of the complaints was manure smell.

It is sad, I would really like for my area to have a marathon but sadly the Evansville people mostly consist of fat, lazy, hateful, rude citizens and we're lucky just to be able to have the 13.1 distance twice a year (SIC also had a HM option which they are still holding I think). I actually have a few great courses in mind for a marathon race here.

I am sad, these are my thoughts though... what's your thoughts on the matter?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

I remember people bitching that the ING closed traffic and they couldn't leave their houses without having to wait for the runners.  Idiots complain about this but not against other stupid stuff that closes South beach or whatever.

Sorry you have no local marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hate idiots, the first 2 times I ran the Evansville Half Marathon the support from locals was awesome along the course but last year it was dangerous down in the bad areas I'd say. A lot of assholes almost ran participants over, even with cops and volunteers handling traffic at intersections, I was actually a few seconds ahead of some dickhead who sat at a stop sign honking and honking and then just sped across, almost hitting a few runners and walkers. Sad it is just awful but the reason I was told for the marathon ending was the director lost all sponsors and just handled the last two years all wrong.

I remember people bitching that the ING closed traffic and they couldn't leave their houses without having to wait for the runners.  Idiots complain about this but not against other stupid stuff that closes South beach or whatever.

Sorry you have no local marathon.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

For whatever reason, the people who put on these larger races are expecting either strong/record turn-out year after year. Obviously they can hope for that, since that makes them more money. Unfortunately the Marathon is an endurance race and not everyone can run it. It's a tough distance. You're just not going to have huge numbers running that distance.

The HM is a lot more palatable to people because it's a fairly long distance (especially for the majority of people), that you can run/walk in less than 3 hours and you don't have to train your ass off (if you don't want to).

So yeah, you'll see 10,000 for a HM and only 1500 for a FM. Apparently it's not worth the organization putting it on to get 1500 people to run the Marathon route. It stinks for the locals who like and participate in that race.

- Andrew

LRB

Yeah the Ann Arbor marathon got moved first to another weekend in June, then to another month altogether because of intense anger from residents.

So it is not just Indiana, people in general have little patience for being inconvenienced because of things like road construction, which they bitch about fixing the roads incessantly so you know a road race stands little chance!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I hate, right now I am trying to figure up a bunch of different possible marathon routes for Evansville. I want so badly for us to have a marathon, this area really is beautiful if you're willing to get out of a car and actually take the time to enjoy it, they've been trying so hard to make it recreation/health friendly.

PRs

FS, this is unfortunate for you.

But overall we should be celebrating, as the trends have certainly been towards more marathons available rather than less.

Number of marathons in US & Canada:

2010 - 573

2011 - 639

2012 - 670

2013 - 722

Naturally some of the new ones will stick, and some will not, for all kinds of reasons. Putting on a marathon is a big project, not all organizers are up to the task. And of course there will always be more races closer to larger population centers. It is more surprising to me how many there are that only have a small number of participants; I don't know how they justify it.

Looks like there are still 6 marathons within 100 miles of Evansville, according to FindMyMarathon.com (also the source of the above numbers).

FWIW: I am one who prefers car exhaust to farm animal smell; I guess it's what you grew up with.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I grew up in the city, around exhaust fumes and stuff, but we've been living in the country kind of area since 2011 and I do my long runs mainly out there. I still want a marathon here damn it.

PRs

I still want a marathon here damn it.

I don't blame ya. Just sayin'.

BTW - I used to go there regularly (a long time ago), I worked for GE & would visit the plant in Mount Vernon.

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

Our community attempted to add a marathon to the calendar a few years ago on the same weekend as a popular half had been held for years. They turned the entire weekend into a "fitness festival," also incorporating kids' races, cycling tours, and cycling criterium, along with the original half-marathon and 5k. The marathon never had more than 250 participants (about 1,500 half-marathoners), they couldn't settle on a route and changed it every year, and in 2012 early morning storms pushed back the start time and they had to cancel the full because they couldn't keep roads open long enough for everyone to finish (the route crossed major highways through town). I think the problem is that you have a lot more logistics to juggle, need volunteers for a much longer length of time, and are often doing that for a fraction of the number of people as in the half. It takes just as many police/volunteers to stop traffic for 10 runners as it does for 100, and twice as many in 26-mile route as a 13-mile one (or twice the time, if you use a double-loop course).

The proliferation of races also makes it difficult for smaller races to compete because there are so many other options out there.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Love the Half

Gotta agree with Dave here.  You'd be hard pressed to put your finger on the map anywhere in the eastern United States and not find a marathon within a 2 1/2 hour drive which is about what I'd think of as the maximum to travel on a race morning.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Daves_Not_Here

Closest HM for me is at least 1 hour away. Most require a drive and an overnight stay. Living in the mountains is nice, but there are sacrifices to be made.

Free, that sucks.  It would be nice to see more stand-alone marathons (and HMs) rather than the "festival of races" mentality that prevails.

As for driving distances, I'd only be willing to stay at home for Buffalo, even though Erie, Rochester, and Toronto all "could" be driven on race morning.  It's nice to be able to hole up in a hotel with stupid amounts of carbs and no distractions on the day prior, knowing that it's only a short jaunt to the start line in the (usually early) morning.  Hell, I'd even consider booking downtown for Buffalo and rolling out the door rather than driving the 30 minutes in from the sticks.

happylily

Free, that sucks.  It would be nice to see more stand-alone marathons (and HMs) rather than the "festival of races" mentality that prevails.

As for driving distances, I'd only be willing to stay at home for Buffalo, even though Erie, Rochester, and Toronto all "could" be driven on race morning.  It's nice to be able to hole up in a hotel with stupid amounts of carbs and no distractions on the day prior, knowing that it's only a short jaunt to the start line in the (usually early) morning.  Hell, I'd even consider booking downtown for Buffalo and rolling out the door rather than driving the 30 minutes in from the sticks.

That's me ^

I've never done the Montreal marathon because I live 35 minutes off the island and I have no clue how I could get there on race morning, since the bridge is closed because it's where the runners start. I think I'd have to cross 2 or 3 hours before start time and the closure of the roads.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hell, I'd even consider booking downtown for Buffalo and rolling out the door rather than driving the 30 minutes in from the sticks.

Yeah I've thought the same thing if I were to do Detroit. To me the biggest sources of pre-race stress are parking & bathroom issues, because I figure the running part will take care of itself. This would at least eliminate one of those issues (and maybe having a hotel room helps with the other). Unfortunately for the big races, the hotel rooms get completely booked way in advance, so that would require an advance commitment, something I haven't quite been willing to do.

Dave