Beginners and Beyond

Please help me choose a marathon training plan (Read 44 times)

KCRuns

I’m looking for advice on a marathon training plan.  I’m considering paying for a McMillan plan, but am unsure which one to purchase, Level 3 or 4 (basic marathon, combo runner is what I’m looking at, unless you have a better idea).

I have run 4 marathons in the past 18 months along with several halfs, and other shorter races along the way.  My marathon PR is 5:06 and I’d love to get under 5 this year if possible.  My next marathon will be Chicago this October, a course I have run twice and my current PR.

I’ve been running for a little over 3 years, female, 42 and am what many would consider to be low-mid mileage, though I am trying to improve in that area.  I am slower than most, and am comfortable running longer on my daily runs to get the mileage, most of the time at least an hour and my long runs are usually over 2 hours outside of a training cycle (longer during a cycle).

I am not new to speedwork, but it’s something I’ve not done consistently.  I had been making good progress in that area earlier this year, then got sick (flu) and had to abandon any speedwork to just be able to get the miles (due to the lingering coughing fits that are finally gone).

Since I have only been at this for 3 years, I still consider myself more a beginner than advanced and often have lots of questions that y’all are great about answering for me.

Which brings me to my question about which plan to purchase.  Based on the number of days and time spent running, I would fit the level 4 plan and the sample week 1 schedule looks similar to what I already run.  However, I can’t see the middle parts of the plan to know if it gets to be more than I can reasonably handle.  The sample week 1 schedule of level 3 looks like a step back, but again I don’t know if the middle/end of it would be a better fit.

Those of you who have trained on the McMillan plans, can you tell me your thoughts about which one I should choose?  I would like to improve my marathon time this year and work on consistent speed work to generally get faster.  I often think I run slow just because that’s what I’m used to and maybe I could do more with the right plan and some direction that included paces for each run/workout.  Trying to figure this stuff out on my own is not yielding much improvement.

I’d like to follow a professional plan and see how my running improves, but this would be my first foray into buying a plan, so I would appreciate your feedback.

Here is the link to the McMillan training plans for reference:  http://www.finalsurge.com/TrainingPlans/McMillanPlanList?goal=MARATHON&distance=&timesec=&goaldistance=&goaltimesec=

Half Crazy K 2.0

I used McMillan half plan in the fall (and paid for his run club). Not for me. The level 4 half plan was insane. The 5 x 1 mile at 5k pace was just one of the WTF moments. I then switched to level 3, which by contrast didn't seem to have enough substance, compared to what ivI' done in the past.

We have very similar marathon PRs, I'm also 42.  The big drawback I had to McMillan was it didn't seem to account for being a slower runner.

With McMillan, have you looked at his pace calculator? His run club plan assume easy pace picks up as the plan progresses. My easy pace usually is slower than his range, so seeing what pace a workout should be vs what I did was discouraging. If you train within his paces, you should be ok.

I like Brad Hudson's book, although his plans are a little more DIY.

I used McMillan half plan in the fall (and paid for his run club). Not for me. The level 4 half plan was insane. The 5 x 1 mile at 5k pace was just one of the WTF moments. I then switched to level 3, which by contrast didn't seem to have enough substance, compared to what ivI' done in the past.

We have very similar marathon PRs, I'm also 42.  The big drawback I had to McMillan was it didn't seem to account for being a slower runner.

With McMillan, have you looked at his pace calculator? His run club plan assume easy pace picks up as the plan progresses. My easy pace usually is slower than his range, so seeing what pace a workout should be vs what I did was discouraging. If you train within his paces, you should be ok.

I like Brad Hudson's book, although his plans are a little more DIY.

^^This.  I looked really hard at McMillan, and there are a few of his workouts that I want to incorporate into my next cycle, but I didn't like the set up otherwise.  And I agree that some of his philosophies are better geared toward much faster/better runners.  Some of his stuff I flat out do not agree with, but everyone is different and responds to different training in their own way, so my opinion is possibly junk to others.  I've had the best results using Hudson's theories to structure the plan (although I don't do his hill sprints and strides anymore because they aggravate my ATs, so I'm probably not benefiting as much as I could/did).  I'm in kind of in the same boat with you though where I want someone to tell me what to do, and be a little less DIY.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I replied the first time from my phone, so hard to really type. I found the McMillan plans had a really weird shift in them. I think I started mine a little late, but still about 12 weeks out from my goal half. I signed up for the run club, so got access to all plans plus the message boards that Greg McMillan checked & responded to for $25/month. The first few weeks were nothing I haven't done. Short intervals, like 15 x 1 minute and fast finish long runs. Then with about 8 weeks to go, the workouts went from doable to nope. The first "real" workout was 3 x 2 miles at faster than my HM PR pace and pretty close to 10k pace. This was after no real work at HM pace. The next week was 5 x 1 mile at 5k place + 3 x 200 at faster than 5 pace. In the early weeks, long runs were listed by time (usually 1:45), then it because 12-14 or even 14-16. Maybe for faster runners that's not a huge jump, but for me it was a big jump in time spent on long runs.

The big difference I saw in level 3 and 4 was the length of easy runs and often the filler (ie length of the warm up and cool down for workouts). Level 3 may have you do a 2 mile warm and cool down, level 4 is 3 miles wu & cd.

It seemed like the paces for workouts may have been generated from goals as opposed to recent races, but I'm not totally sure. I tried adjusting my goal a few times and the workout paces still seemed fast. I basically spent the entire time I was using the plan feeling like I failed each and every run because I pretty much never hit the pace on anything, speedwork, tempos, long runs or easy runs.

Since you will be doing the bulk of the training in the summer, how is your pace usually in heat?

DavePNW used a McMillan plan to run a BQ, he had a much better experience than me.

I bought a McMillan Custom Plan - I think a different type of plan than what you're looking at. It was 12 weeks for $125. They design it for you based on an extremely detailed questionnaire about your running history and training patterns. So it is going to be consistent with what you have already been doing. And boy did I get results. It got me to a monster PR when I thought I'd plateaued, along with my BQ. Needless to say I was pretty happy with it. That said - it was my 9th marathon total, including 2 Hansons Advanced cycles and 3 Pfitz 70mpw cycles, and a total >10,000 miles logged over 4 years. So I guess I can't give all the credit to those 12 weeks; it's all about accumulated fitness.

Sorry I did not actually address your post - I can't comment too much about the pre-built plans. I guess the benefit of doing Hansons or Pfitz is if you buy the book, you see the whole plan, no guessing games. Not sure whether you've already considered either of those options.

Dave

Quickadder

KCRuns, how much is getting your marathon PR below 5:00 worth to you?

Personally, I found the required support and advice from regulars in the forums. My priorities were 1) to enjoy my running, 2) to avoid injury and 3) to improve my times ... in that order.

Do you belong to a local running club or informal group? If not, I would recommend you find one that fits your needs. Your local running store should be able to point you in the right direction.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I’m looking for advice on a marathon training plan.  I’m considering paying for a McMillan plan, but am unsure which one to purchase, Level 3 or 4 (basic marathon, combo runner is what I’m looking at, unless you have a better idea).

I have run 4 marathons in the past 18 months along with several halfs, and other shorter races along the way.  My marathon PR is 5:06 and I’d love to get under 5 this year if possible.  My next marathon will be Chicago this October, a course I have run twice and my current PR.

I’ve been running for a little over 3 years, female, 42 and am what many would consider to be low-mid mileage, though I am trying to improve in that area.  I am slower than most, and am comfortable running longer on my daily runs to get the mileage, most of the time at least an hour and my long runs are usually over 2 hours outside of a training cycle (longer during a cycle).

I am not new to speedwork, but it’s something I’ve not done consistently.  I had been making good progress in that area earlier this year, then got sick (flu) and had to abandon any speedwork to just be able to get the miles (due to the lingering coughing fits that are finally gone).

Since I have only been at this for 3 years, I still consider myself more a beginner than advanced and often have lots of questions that y’all are great about answering for me.

While a coach or a structured plan would undoubtedly help, you already know the main issues. Most runners have the speed to run sub-5:00 for the marathon. It's the mileage and endurance they lack if they haven't done it. I don't think most plans really address that adequately simply because they last only 12-18 weeks and training over time begins to show a pattern of up and down mileage instead of progressively higher mileage.  Each marathon cycle should take you to a higher mileage level for the beginning of the next cycle. I suggest you look into training Lydiard style with something like Healthy Intelligent Training by Keith Livingstone.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Have you considered buying an entire book on marathon training instead of just buying a plan?  "Advanced Marathoning" and "Hansons Marathon Method," for example, both come with a choice of plans but also give some good advice about how to train.

I second the comments above about getting support from a community as well.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

KCRuns

HKC, did you do one of the pre-built plans like I am considering or did you do the custom plan like Dave?  I'm wondering if that's the difference between your two experiences?  Maybe I need to be looking at the custom plan?

Like LM, I'm not interested in a DIY plan, that's what I've been doing and I want to try something different.  Paying monthly for coaching is a little out of reach right now, which is why I am considering a plan like this, something professional but with a one-time fee.

WCR, my mileage has progressively increased every year/cycle, but I know I have plenty of room to grow, it's something I'm continuing to build.  I have not heard of Lydiard style before, so I will go do some reading about his methods, thank you for the suggestion.

Thank you all for your insights, it's a lot to think about and research. I'm sure I'll have follow up questions after I read more about the other ideas, but I appreciate you all jumping in with your experiences.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I used a prebuilt plan. Only inputs were recent race time and goal time.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WCR, my mileage has progressively increased every year/cycle, but I know I have plenty of room to grow, it's something I'm continuing to build.  I have not heard of Lydiard style before, so I will go do some reading about his methods, thank you for the suggestion.

The Lydiard method is based on first building a strong base with lots of mileage. This is in contrast to most programs where you reach your highest mileage runs and highest mileage weeks late in the schedule.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Have you considered buying an entire book on marathon training instead of just buying a plan?  "Advanced Marathoning" and "Hansons Marathon Method," for example, both come with a choice of plans but also give some good advice about how to train.

Great advice here. Its important to learn how to be your own coach and know why your doing a specific workout and what its benefiting.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

I suggested these books as well. But to be fair - when you buy a McMillan plan, you gain access to a lot of online resources providing the same kind of info as the books.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I got a 10 minute PR on my 4th marathon using Pfitz's 55/18 plan. It has some hard workouts, but they were feasible when it came time to actually do them. The biggest issue for many people is the longer midweek runs that took 90+ minutes for me. If you google it you can find spreadsheets that show the plan so you can see whether it's something you might want to try.

onemile

Consistently running 50+ mpw will help more than anything. Doesn't really matter which specific plan. Pfitz,, Hanson's, McMillan are all good.