Beginners and Beyond

Self Magazine Makes Fun of Woman/en Racing in Tutus (Read 139 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Magazine-Makes-Fun-of-Cancer-Survivors-Tutu-252560451.html

All I can say is I will never buy another of their magazine, never really found the articles interesting anyway. I am not a tutu wearing gal, but this lady's reason for making and wearing that tutu and what she was currently going through at the time she ran that race is admirable.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Little Blue

I doubt that anyone ever thought that wearing a tutu would make them faster.  Perhaps SELF could do a little fact checking before it publishes things like this.  And BS on their apology.  We didn't mean it the way it came out.  In print.  Past editors.

Oops.

I don't really have a problem in principle with what the magazine did. I assume whatever comment they made was somewhat tongue in cheek. And I would think no different than any other kind of fashion dos & don'ts you often see in magazines or on TV. I agree running in a tutu or any crazy costume is somewhat ridiculous, but plenty of people enjoy doing it, and that's their prerogative. Do what makes you happy. I might still make fun of it. But of course I would feel pretty bad about it after finding out they were running through cancer. I think just a case of bad luck for the magazine. Although they certainly could have been a bit more astute & noticed the name on one of the women's bibs was "Die Tumor Die".

Dave

delicate flower

I just checked out their facebook page, and yep, they are getting destroyed.  That there is a magazine putting its foot in its mouth.

<3

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

While I agree it was a very douchey thing for them to do, the faux moral outrage from the general public gets on my nerves.  The fickle public will be mad now, but then something else come along and make them forget about it.

I never read their magazine anyway.  

happylily

There are so many other fashion faux pas I can think of which deserve a BS entry in Self, before they can even start mocking the running tutus...

Sure, I don't "get" wearing a costume in a race. But when I see people wearing one, it always makes me smile and it relaxes me for a couple minutes. Better than being all tensed up. Keep wearing those tutus, ladies!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Of course, I am far from being outraged at what Self did. In fact, I would have laughed had I not known the story behind it. But if I were the woman whose picture was used in the issue, I'd be pretty pissed off too.

happylily

Dave just did a Birdwell in L&O, btw. So mind what you all say, people. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I am not a costume wearer during races either,  though I did come close during last year's Run of Luck 7k with my sister, but my son got sick and I didn't do the race. If people want to, that's their thing and if it gives them strength during a very difficult time in their life, even more power to them.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

I wonder if they would dare mock this costume:

I sometimes run in a costume.  Never thought it would make me faster either.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Experience tells me that all parties involved will benefit from the attention.  That's the dirty secret.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

delicate flower

all parties involved will benefit from the attention.

Including the tumor?

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I wonder how heavy that cross is, I can see doing it for a 5k....... maybe a 10k but anything more and it better weight less than 8 lbs lol.

Oh yes, Self will definitely benefit when their mag comes out next month. All the haters that are attacking their FB page will still go out and buy the magazine just to see for themselves, sadly their hateful words mean nothing if they are willing to give their money.

PRs

Dave just did a Birdwell in L&O, btw. So mind what you all say, people. 

Oy. Not intended with ill will I assure you, just to tie in with another thread.

Did not realize it had a name, but I guess that is a good one.

Dave

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I wonder how heavy that cross is, I can see doing it for a 5k....... maybe a 10k but anything more and it better weight less than 8 lbs lol.

Oh yes, Self will definitely benefit when their mag comes out next month. All the haters that are attacking their FB page will still go out and buy the magazine just to see for themselves, sadly their hateful words mean nothing if they are willing to give their money.

Exactly what I meant about faux moral outrage.  Self will still continue to sell magazines, no matter how much people complain, and everyone will move on and forget about what happened.

Plus, spamming/trolling every post they put up isn't going to help your cause; if anything, it just makes you look like an idiot.