Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's SATURDAILY - Going for the Bronze (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  SRD  for us.  A little sore after all those turns yesterday.  Not much else to do other than getting ready for our run/cruise.

Good luck with the race Bacon.  Did you also find a race to "Voluncheer" ??

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am allowed to exercise (walking) outside this weekend.  We'll see.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!  I am allowed to exercise (walking) outside this weekend.  We'll see.

Better not be a 26 mile walk.

Docket_Rocket

I'll try!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Hahaha!!!!!  We know you'll try to Docket, but don't!

Jerry, YAY @ getting ready for your cruise.  It'll be so nice getting away in the sunshine.  Are you feeling ready for the Half?

Did an easy 4, and am getting ready for another hike with a friend.  Also, I'm from (well from Missouri but live here) Arizona, but BOO@ all the new discrimination / prejudice laws here.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Jerry - when do you'all leave for Florida?  I am sure you'll enjoy the sunshine after all the cold and snow this winter.

Damaris - have a great walk.  Try not to do too much.

Cherie - enjoy your hike this afternoon.  I wish I were hiking, but there is still so much slush on the ground, we've been avoiding trails.

AFM:  Beautiful sunny warm day - 50ish.  I'm heading out shortly for a run.  It's supposed to be a short one, but I think it will get extended because I really want to spend more time outdoors.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, we leave Thursday.  It supposed to be -7F when we leave this polar vortex crap.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

We just did a beautiful run of 11 miles up and back in Zion Canyon. Next up is a little hike and dinner at our favorite place. Here is some more good news: a brew pub opened up right next door! Five local beers on tap! It might be tough but I think I might have to try them all. Smile  That's what vacations are for, right?

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 6.1 with the club this morning, bringing me to 20.1 for the week. Felt less taxing than it has previously, so I'm pretty happy about that. Hoping to finally string together a few 20 mile weeks in a row now.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We just did a beautiful run of 11 miles up and back in Zion Canyon. Next up is a little hike and dinner at our favorite place. Here is some more good news: a brew pub opened up right next door! Five local beers on tap! It might be tough but I think I might have to try them all. Smile  That's what vacations are for, right?

Looking forward to your beer reports on the beer thread.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Missed check-in yesterday but it was a SRD, and I volunteered at packet pickup for 8 hours for the Central Park HM/Full Marathon. I had a good time hanging out with other runners and this woman volunteering with me GAVE me a running jacket that one of her sponsors (she is a fairly popular fitness blogger and a lot of companies send her tons of free stuff that she needs to be photographed in at races) had given her. I forgave her for referring to my pace as a walking pace (we had a minor argument during the day if a 5 hour marathon was a running pace or a walking pace. I claimed 11:30-ish minute miles was certainly a running pace for most people---and is in fact around my typical easy run pace---but she claimed any normal person should be able to walk faster than that....grumble). Aside from that comment though I had a great day. Not sure if it made the face that I am supposed to be running that race (the half) tomorrow sting more or less though. I formally decided to DNS the race.

Today I took a demo class at my gym....Pilates Reformer. Tough stuff!!! I wish I could do it but it is going to be $350 for 8 weeks, which is not much less than my entire YEAR of gym membership, and more than my entire year's membership at my pool....and the 8 weeks the class will run for is during a terrible time for me....I have a work conference and my Hawaii trip automatically making 3 of those weekends impossible, plus 2 races that I probably won't be able to get to the class on time after, and I will likely visit my boyfriend at some point so....no. But it was fun to try it for the day. Then I went on a 3 mile run in BEAUTIFUL 50 degree weather with not one cloud in the sky. And----finally----not one walk break even on a large hill. 11:37, 11:36, 11:18..... back to my old easy pace and it feels great!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Jack - sounds like a good time is being had in Utah.  I love trying local brews.  One of the things I liked about Colorado is every town has a couple of craft breweries.  Chambersburg has one, and the beer is pretty good from what I've tasted so far, but it doesn't have a real restaurant attached and I'm not one for just hanging out at a bar.  Some of the beer stores occasionally stock it though and Texas Roadhouse carries it sometimes.

Lauren - good job on the 20 mile week.  Was the six mile group run on the roads or at the track?

Kristen - sounds like a good couple of days.  I agree with you:  11:30 may be slow, but it's a run, not a walk.  And not that many people can walk that fast over distance without some real training.  If the Pilates class is popular, they will probably offer it again later, though $350 seems like a lot for an exercise class.

Today was a beautiful day but my run was awful.  I never got any energy, so it was a real struggle.  My pace was all over the place, thanks to unplanned walk breaks and stops to pet dogs, visit an outhouse, and trudge up some easy hills.  Snow and ice was intermittent on the sidewalks and along the roads without sidewalks, which didn't help, but mostly it was just a bad run.  I don't know if I was dehydrated or if it was because I ate too soon before I headed out.  I was hoping to get some energy, but it didn't work.

Zelanie

Got my 15 miler done in the sunshine today!  It even got up to 50 by the end!  I was overdressed for the temps- oops!  Just put some pizza dough on to rise, we're going over the the in-laws' house for pizza and cards later.

SIL sent some flavored popcorn to thank us for house sitting over New Year's.  Enjoying some strawberries and cream popcorn now- yum!

Has anybody seen Gustav around since he cut his heel?

Jerry- Sounds like the perfect time to get out of town!

D- Hope you have a great walk!

Cherie- That must be so frustrating to live in a place where the laws (and people's perception of your home) don't match your values.  I have to say, Arizona and Florida are two states that aren't trying very hard to earn my tourism $$$.  Not that I have very many tourism $$$ for them to care about.

Ginny- I'm sorry that you had a bad run.  It almost always mean that the next one will be better, I think!

Jack- All on one sitting?   I must be turning into an old lady.

Lauren- Congrats on getting to 20 MPW!  That's such an important mental milestone, I think!

kristin- There is no way in hell that most people could walk a 5 hour marathon, I'm sorry.  I don't care how many sponsors she has, she is wrong.  That is faster than my C25K pace, and I had been doing a lot of walking before I even started that.  Glad you had a good run and had fun volunteering!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hi pens! 6.1 with the club this morning, bringing me to 20.1 for the week. Felt less taxing than it has previously, so I'm pretty happy about that. Hoping to finally string together a few 20 mile weeks in a row now.

Yay!!! For reasons of I know how rough you've had it with injuries but also....teammates. Lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to