Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies Ready for it? (Read 35 times)

I probably shouldn't have tried to run again this am but I did. Had pain throughout my shin that lasted about an hour post run. WTF. Its time to take some more time off. I did run in the Clifton 4's. Hoka should be ashamed of themselves. Its like running with bricks on your feet. The cushioning is nothing more than a regular trainer either. Needless to say they are getting returned. Will probably pick up a pair of Bostons.

Eric, you were asking Damaris about the Altras and wide toe boxes. I have a pair of Torins...you could wear these shoes if you had 7 freakin toes. Huge toe box. They are the most comfortable thing your feet will ever slide into also. Downside (for me) was they are too damn bulky and felt like clogs on my feet.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Thanks Jay. I'll give the Torins a look next time I go to the LRS.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

Jay, sorry about your shin.  When I developed my toe problem, I bought 2 pairs of Hoka Clifton 2s, and transitioned to heel-striking.  I wore one pair out, and have about 150 miles on the second pair, I'm going to miss them when they are gone.  I also bought a pair of Hoka Vanquish 3s.  They seem a little "less" than the Cliftons, but still plenty of cushion and comfort.  I sure miss my days of 6-8oz shoes I could wear for 800-1000 miles, but at least i can still run.

Speaking of running, put me down for 8.3 miles of fun.  I ran down the hill and off the ridge for the first time since my IT band got happier, which means I ran back up the hill.  Whew, that shit is always going to be hard.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Cy, Jay, I would choose the Intuitions (Instinct I think is the one for men's).  They are not as cloggy as the Torins (which I find too heavy). The Intuitions/Instincts are the ones I use.

Jay, don't let that deter you from trying Hokas. Those Clifton 4s are not how the rest of the Hokas feel like.  They just suck.  And the original Cliftons were so fucking perfect, grrrr.

PR, I have never tried the Vanquish, but I have heard great things about them.

I have Pilates and 7 miles tonight.

Taking Bugsy to the vet for his protein levels checkup later.  Hoping he continues improving.  He won't like his normal vet is gone and I have to take him to another one there now.  Poor boy, maybe he will do a grumpy face needing a picture.  I owe you one of those.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Aaaah! I just realized Torins were Altras, not Hokas. I know the Altras have wide toe boxes, and that is the reason I want to try transitioning to 0 drop. In the mean time, I'm just looking (not intently) to see if I could find trainers I like in the 4-8 mm range, with wide toe boxes.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hello running friends.

Managed 7+ last night, so that was a positive. It was definitely slower, and a lot easier to stay motivated running with the running group as opposed to solo.

Tonight is the group trail run. After that I have to go load my car with equipment for timing the Goodyear Half Marathon on Saturday. I'm just at the 3.5 mile split point, so nothing too fancy. I'm going to be a tired guy though - going to see Hamilton Friday night, and then have to be at my spot by 5am Saturday morning. Eeek!

As for Altras, that too box is just too wide for me. It hits me so oddly that it seems to pick up the joint on the baby toe side on both feet, making for an awkward and uncomfortable feel.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Hello, friends!  4000 yard swim done before work, and my arms were tired from the word go.  I can thank two races in the last five days for that.  My legs seem to be handling it better tho.  Speaking of legs, I've got a bike workout tonight.  Temps have dropped a couple of ticks today so it shouldn't be quite as awful, but will still be pretty bad.

Jay, sorry about the continued shin problems.  Frustrating for sure.

<3

Docket_Rocket

He is a good boy and travels well, contrary to my other four cats, who bitch and whine when in the car. But here is a resting bitch face for the day:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

He is a good boy and travels well, contrary to my other four cats, who bitch and whine when in the car. But here is a resting bitch face for the day:

How do your cats handle getting into the carrier?  Do they fight it at all?  Mom-in-law's cats are like angry wolverines when the carriers come out and it takes 2-3 people to handle getting them in.  Our cats are dumb though.  We put the carriers on the floor and the cats walk in like it's a play fort.

<3

KCRuns

Aaaah! I just realized Torins were Altras, not Hokas. I know the Altras have wide toe boxes, and that is the reason I want to try transitioning to 0 drop. In the mean time, I'm just looking (not intently) to see if I could find trainers I like in the 4-8 mm range, with wide toe boxes.

Have you looked at the new Saucony Ride ISO?  The ISO has a wider toe box than the regular Ride and a flexible upper with some give in it.  They're comfy, too.

KCRuns

I have a question for the group.

I'm looking ahead to next week's schedule and there are 8-10x Yasso 800s on the workout for next Thursday.  There is only a link to an article explaining what they are, but not how to do them.

2 weeks ago, the workout had 6x 800s with 400 recoveries and there was a specified pace that was around my 5k pace.  I did all 6 between 4:36-4:51.  The workout was very hard.  The workout just called them 800 repeats, but now all of sudden they have a new name Yasso 800s, I'm guessing because of the number of them I'm to do.

Next week's Yasso 800s don't have a specified pace on the plan.  My arbitrary goal marathon time that I put in when I bought the plan is 4:55 (PR is 5:06 and I really want to get sub-5).  Should I be trying to hit 4:55 for each repeat or should I just run them as fast as I can and see what happens?  I think run them as fast as I can, but wanted to get some feedback from y'all.

onemile

I didn't do my workout this morning.I wasn't feeling it and have been feeling like I need a day off. So I decided to switch it with tomorrow's 5 miler... or just take an unscheduled day off.  If I run, it will be day #40 in a row.

onemile

I'm looking ahead to next week's schedule and there are 8-10x Yasso 800s with 400 recoveries on the workout for next Thursday.  There is only a link to an article explaining what they are, but not how to do them.

2 weeks ago, the workout had 6x 800s with 400 recoveries and there was a specified pace that was around my 5k pace.  I did all 6 between 4:36-4:51.  The workout was very hard.  The workout just called them 800 repeats, but now all of sudden they have a new name Yasso 800s, I'm guessing because of the number of them I'm to do.

Next week's Yasso 800s don't have a specified pace on the plan.  My arbitrary goal marathon time that I put in when I bought the plan is 4:55 (PR is 5:06 and I really want to get sub-5).  Should I be trying to hit 4:55 for each repeat or should I just run them as fast as I can and see what happens?  I think run them as fast as I can, but wanted to get some feedback from y'all.

I would run them as fast as you can but trying to run at an effort that will allow you to complete all of them at around the same pace (not blow up).  Actual Yassos have an equal recovery time to the time it takes you to complete the interval - not 400m.  And how does your arbitrary marathon goal time relate to your shorter distance PRs?

KCRuns

I would run them as fast as you can but trying to run at an effort that will allow you to complete all of them at around the same pace (not blow up).  Actual Yassos have an equal recovery time to the time it takes you to complete the interval - not 400m.  And how does your arbitrary marathon goal time relate to your shorter distance PRs?

OK, I just re-read it and it says 20-30 minutes warm up, 8-10x Yasso 800s, 20-30 minute cool down.  So I guess the recoveries should be like you said, and not 400s like I thought.  Depending on which PR you use, the predicted marathon time is anywhere from 4:39-4:56, my HM PR (Sept) predicts a 4:41, my most recent PRs are 3.5 mile (May), predicts 4:38, and 10k (June), predicts 4:46.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm looking ahead to next week's schedule and there are 8-10x Yasso 800s with 400 recoveries on the workout for next Thursday.  There is only a link to an article explaining what they are, but not how to do them.

Yasso 800s aren't a whole lot different from 800m intervals, however they were never really intended as a training workout. They derive from a predictive workout that Bart Yasso used to determine his marathon fitness. They don't work as a predictive tool for everyone. Generally if you can't hit the designated pace, it's highly unlikely that you could run a marathon in the corresponding time, however even if you can hit the pace, that's no guarantee that you can run it either.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.