Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race #26: River City 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2026%20River%20City%205K%2010K%20Half?sort=2

Before My Start

My 26th race of 2018 was River City 5K held on April 8 in San Antonio at Southside Lions Park East.  There was also a half marathon and a 5K.  This was my 3rd 5K of the weekend, after doing a morning 5K and an evening 5K on April 7th.  After a pretty darn chilly Saturday for we South Texans, Mother Nature was a little more docile for Sunday, with very little wind and a bit warmer temps...but still a bit chilly - in the upper 40s - for those of us who really don't like cold weather.  I am one of those, lol. Give me 90 degrees over 40 degrees any day.   All the events started a little before 8 a.m. - staggered starts for each event - so I got to race location with about 45 minutes to go, and did my usual pre-race photo thing.  This was a fairly small event, maybe 100 or so.  Most of the participants were doing the half.

Our start and finish line was at this bridge

With friends Jill and John.  John did the Half, Jill and I did the 5K

This very patriotic and colorful participant was doing the 10K.

Start/Finish line area with some of our great volunteers, organizers, and timers, Inspired Race Events put on this race.

A few of the participants, supporters, etc...  even some crazy people who apparently are impervious to the cold, lol, dressed in singlets, etc.

On The Course

This park is part of the San Antonio Greenway system of off-road trails that connect local parks with each other.  On some of these greenways you can go a very long way.  The trails we did the race on connected this park with Comanche Park, where the turn-around points were for all the races.  Nice trails, a mix of concrete and asphalt, through a really pretty area with a couple of views of the river along the way.  Everyone got a finisher medal.   I felt pretty good, even after 2 other 5Ks done, and finished this one in 33:45.  For the 5K and 10K the Top 3 overall men and women got medals and the first 3 males all finished in the 20s.  There were age group awards for the people doing the half.

I thought this woman coming toward me was the first 5K woman but then realized no bib...she was out doing a run on her own  The trail was still open to the public, and I did see a few non-race participants out there doing their thing.

As I was heading toward the finish, saw my friend Jill almost to the 5K turn-round point

And another friend heading there too. I think she was doing the 10K.

Thank you course water-stop volunteers!  They didn't have any beer though....    

After that, nonstop back to the finish line.  I noted my time when I hit the 2-mile marker and after I crossed the finish line, saw my last 1.1 was done in 10:18....nice for my old dog legs. 

After my Finish

After getting some water and cooling down a bit, it was time for after-photos!

Thanks for the race! One of the Inspired staff

Finisher Medal Hander-Outers. 

Food servers - Thanks!

Pastries, chicken salad sandwiches, pasta, bananas, cinnamon rolls, muffins, etc.......nice spread!

Epilogue

Very nicely done event at a very nice locale.  Nice quality race tee, good course, some really nice award plaques for the half marathon age group winners, nice finisher medals for everyone, lots of friendly people.   Nice post-race goodies too.  I would do this one again and would recommend it to others.  Well done, organizers, well done.

Much thanks to all the folks making this one happen for us, e.g., Inspired Race Events, RPP Timing for doing timing and results, all the volunteers, Fleet Feet San Antonio for the packet pickup locale, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you so much for doing what all of you do so we participants can have a race.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on 3 races in two days.