Beginners and Beyond

Question on race reports.... (Read 103 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

If I send the link for a race report here to friends who are not members of this forum, are they able to see the race report?

For some reason, when I sent the link from my race report today to my friends, the link takes them to a page that says "Join Group."  Do they have to be members of the group to read a race report?  That does not seem right to me, if they only just want to read the report.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I asked my wife to try and access LRB's race report and a couple of others posted today...and she got the same thing for those links that she did for mine:  the "Join Today" message.  So apparently, you do have to be a member even if you only want to just read the reports.

I guess this may be some kind of 'spam' defensive function against non-members coming in and doing something to the site, maybe? Although if they can't post, can they still do harm?  I honestly don't know, I'm a technology idiot.

Oh, well, for my friends, relatives, etc, I will just use the Runner's World site link.  That link does give public access to my report, so it's all good.

Seems to be, though, that allowing non-member runners read the site here would be good 'advertising" for RunningAHEAD and maybe even get more people to join.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Can you send her the link now and see whether she can read it now?

I asked my wife to try and access LRB's race report and a couple of others posted today...and she got the same thing for those links that she did for mine:  the "Join Today" message.  So apparently, you do have to be a member even if you only want to just read the reports.

I guess this may be some kind of 'spam' defensive function against non-members coming in and doing something to the site, maybe? Although if they can't post, can they still do harm?  I honestly don't know, I'm a technology idiot.

Oh, well, for my friends, relatives, etc, I will just use the Runner's World site link.  That link does give public access to my report, so it's all good.

Seems to be, though, that allowing non-member runners read the site here would be good 'advertising" for RunningAHEAD and maybe even get more people to join.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

flarunner

Maybe this might answer your question:

Or you could always ask Eric Smiley.

Resident Historian

Flarunner is correct. This is a User Group which can only be seen by RA Members.

If you post it in the open forums (like Racing Forum) it's visible to anyone.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

LRB

Flarunner is correct. This is a User Group which can only be seen by RA Members.

If you post it in the open forums (like Racing Forum) it's visible to anyone.

I am not sure that is correct.  On the surface it seems to be, but I tried it once before and was able to view our forum without being logged in by simply bypassing the log in request, but I could not post.

This was brought up with that whole J Park fiasco and Eric confirmed that anyone could view group content without being a member.

I suppose it is possible that has changed.