Beginners and Beyond

RR - Checkers AC / Mueller Mile (pic+vid added) (Read 75 times)

Little strategy and even less specific training went into this, but I wanted to see if sub 5:00 was doable, having not raced anything shorter than a 5K since high school.

There would be 4 heats -  a fun run, "general population" open to all comers, "elite" women, and finally "elite" men.  I balked at that term and almost went into the general heat, but an acquaintance I frequently chat with at races told me that in this case, elite simply meant "doesn't want to get stuck in traffic".

Ok then, the start and finish were just around a corner from each other, so it was easy to watch the other heats at both points.

The women that I had picked to go 1-2 actually went 2-3, edged out by an unfamiliar girl's 4:58.

A couple more minutes of jogging, a few accelerations, and it was time.  I was fairly relaxed, the course was pancake flat, the weather was good, and I had already scoped out the finish area.  GO.

Video shortly after the start

Up to speed after dodging a few guys, as I had not started on the line.  Get used to the breathing, turn over fast, this is not a 5K.  400 meters.  In a crowd, guys falling behind, other guys pulling ahead, organized chaos.  Corner, don't fuck up the tangent, 800 meters, not paying attention and nearing 5K pace, this is not a 5K go faster!  Flats making a slapping sound unlike heavier shoes, 1200, visual on the last corner with traffic sawhorses and spectators lining the street, get up there - the finish line is just around that bend, blur, mats, clock, 4:52.

mile

I'm happy on one hand, having beaten my goal, but also left knowing that I did a few things wrong and can probably improve by a non-trivial amount.

Instead of the usual AG awards, long sleeved Brooks tech jackets were given out to the 75 runners with the best AG% scoring across all 3 heats, and my mile-rookie effort was good for 24th in that contest.

jacket

Will run for scenery.

Nice job, cool jacket!  But .... no cash ? Big grin

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Who in the hell has time to make mistakes in a 1 mile race, and still finish in under 5 minutes?  I guess that would be you.  Damn you're fast.  Great job!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Hip Redux

Yay!  Great job, Jay.  Smile

So what did you think your mistakes were?  I think I got a sense from your RR, but wondering how you broke it down.

delicate flower

Good stuff, Jay!  Interesting that they handed out the jackets based on AG grade instead of time.  I would not even come close to the top 75.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  As you said, I am sure you can improve a bit just by doing more of these.

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

Congrats!  You ran a great time and met your goal.  Like everyone else, I have no doubt that there's quite a few seconds you can probably cut from your time with a little more race-specific training and a little more practice at the distance.  But regardless of mistakes you made or whatever else-- 4:52 is a smoking fast time!

That Brooks tech jacket is super sweet looking, too.  Very cool to get an award that is useful!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job Jay! A sub-5 Mile is a great milestone.

- Andrew

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Holy crap!!! (That is meant as a compliment) Smile

LRB

That AG % crap confuses the hell outta me lol

Good stuff Jay, and well deserved bling! Imagine sliding that bad boy on then going out to the movies or shopping or what not.  Most will not have a clue, but there always will be one or two who will.

When you say a trivial amount of time, how much are you talking?  I felt the same way about my last 1 mile event, but I would not put a number on it.  I just think I can race it faster.

Do you really think you are already near your peak at this distance?  Based on my very short experience with the mile, I would think that you have not even scratched the surface of what you are capable of, should you race them regularly.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Great job!  You must be a man that loves the pain because you certainly seem to kill these shorter distance races.  I thought your getting used to the breathing comment was pretty astute.  Most races, when you really start gasping, it's time to back off.  I imagine that isn't the case in the mile.

Now I've got a time to shoot for if I ever get to race one Smile  Oh, nice bling too!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

B-Plus

Awesome Jay! Despite how painful you make it sound, it seems like a lot of fun.

Thanks, guys Smile

jjs - there were gift certs to the LRS for the top 5 men and women.... next year maybe.

Oski - I think there were mainly two mistakes:  1) slowing down slightly after 800, and 2) expecting to accelerate a lot at the end.  The whole last 400m should be the "kick", nothing like 5K and up where exhausted runners can often be smoked at the very end.

Rick - Good call about just having a feeling that you can do better;  no doubt that you will.   I'm going after 4:45 next year, and will do mile stuff more than one day in training, haha.  You are likely right about not being near peak performance for this distance, but it becomes a balancing act with marathon training.

SIAR and B+ - Strangely the race did not feel painful, and there was almost none of the distance-running fatigue to overcome.  It was a lot easier, mentally, to think "whatever discomfort might arise, it's going to be over soon so just ignore it."

Ric-G

Congrats! and a cool prize too...you obviously can get even better at the event if you worked at it, but geez that was a great time. Continued success and keep racking up those awards in whatever type...cash, jackets...

marathon pr - 3:16

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Man..I can't even imagine running that fast!  Congrats, you Speed Demon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt