Beginners and Beyond

Dressing for running in the snow (Read 225 times)

Gator eye

Go to a hardware and buy a dozen real small sheet metal screws, cost around 12 cents apiece. Put four in the front part of the sole and 4 in the back of each shoe and run like the wind.

They make a neat clicked clack when running on dry or snow free roads but work wonders on ice and snow.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow....great ideas....thank you!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Wandering Wally

I run in northern Michigan and don't do anything special.  Unless it's icy I don't even worry about traction devices (screw, spikes, etc.)  When it's just snow I have no problems with grip.  Just dress for the temperature and have at it.  Winter running to me is the most enjoyable running season.  Especially on a nice, crisp, sunny afternoon with fresh, fluffy snow on the ground.  Oh yeah, some sunglasses are nice for when it's sunny and there's snow on the ground.  You won't believe how bright it gets.  Or, on a still, cold night with a full moon high in the sky and the snow sparkling.  On those nights it can be so bright I don't even need my headlamp.

I find my feet only get wet if I step in puddles of melt water.  Wool socks + shoes that drain well work just fine for me.  Yes, it's cold initially, but within minutes the wool works its magic and my toes are warm again.  Damp, but warm.

One thing to consider:  Try to run into the wind on your way out, and with the wind on the way back.  If you can do that, you will be more comfortable.  It's not always possible though, so don't sweat it too much.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast