Beginners and Beyond

Matutinal Monday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

matutinal (ma·tu·ti·nal): of, like or pertaining to the morning; happening early in the day; a term used in the life sciences to describe an organism that is only or primarily active in the pre- dawn hours or early morning.

How  many matutinal penguins do we have this morning?  Not many yet today, apparently.  Non-running day for me, weight training circuit planned after work.  Our temp today may not actually hit 100 (yay!), we will go up to only 99.  Of course, the heat index will be well over 100.

Today is August 12.  Holidays are National Vinyl Record Day (how many remember those?), International Elephant Day and Middle Child's Day.  Food holiday is Julienne Fries Day. 

elephant cartoons, elephant cartoon, elephant picture, elephant pictures, elephant image, elephant images, elephant illustration, elephant illustrations

elephant cartoons, elephant cartoon, elephant picture, elephant pictures, elephant image, elephant images, elephant illustration, elephant illustrations

french fries cartoons, french fries cartoon, french fries picture, french fries pictures, french fries image, french fries images, french fries illustration, french fries illustrations

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good mornin' DR!

Scotty, I was up before the sun, but I waited for a bit of light before I headed out for my run.  I didn't want a repeat of the dry, concrete slip and slide.  I did notice during my morning run that the coax cable, and telephone line that I tripped on had been cut and removed from the sidewalk.  I don't know who did it, but they're awesome.

I remember vinyl records.  We actually still have some collecting dust.  We might have to break those out later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning Scotty, DR, and Awood.

If being matutinal means being active in the morning, I don't qualify today.  I'm awake, but getting a slow start.  Today is a SRD for me.  If it is not too hot / humid later, I will ride my bike to the LRS to get some new shoes -- otherwise I'll drive.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - I hope it stays dry.  I always feel accomplished when I get to ride my bike somewhere, or run there rather than drive.

I forgot to mention earlier that my Garmin yesterday DUMPED all of the data except my records.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  It's working fine now, and my Garmin Connect account has all of the old data.  My watch just decide to forget every run except the fastest and longest runs.  So weird.

I also set up my fundraising page for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.  That's going to be my cause for the Monumental Marathon.  I did it for Warrior Dash last year, and it was awesome.  If anyone is interested, hit me up with a PM or on facebook.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

It probably means your data is full.  You need to delete the history so often.

Phillie - I hope it stays dry.  I always feel accomplished when I get to ride my bike somewhere, or run there rather than drive.

I forgot to mention earlier that my Garmin yesterday DUMPED all of the data except my records.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?  It's working fine now, and my Garmin Connect account has all of the old data.  My watch just decide to forget every run except the fastest and longest runs.  So weird.

I also set up my fundraising page for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.  That's going to be my cause for the Monumental Marathon.  I did it for Warrior Dash last year, and it was awesome.  If anyone is interested, hit me up with a PM or on facebook.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I forgot to take my asthma meds. Ugh.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Cool.  As long as there isn't anything wrong with it, I'll take that as a compliment from my watch.  My watch is all like, "Dude...you run too much.".

It probably means your data is full.  You need to delete the history so often.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I forgot to take my asthma meds. Ugh.

Chest rub, anyone?

tracilynn

I was up before sunrise for an easy run of 3.4 miles.  All my tech shirts were dirty so I had to wear a cotton shirt and man what a difference.  I felt like I had one of those sweat suits on!  Running clothes in the wash now.

Our temps are supposed to drop a little the end of the week.  i cant wait!

Good morning awood, margo, damaris and scotty!

Damaris, I looked at your equipment log, OMG at the shoes!  Shocked  So awesome! Ha I'm so jealous

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So as I mentioned last night, here are the pics from my run yesterday afternoon. I ran over the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn into Manhattan, past City Hall, down to the East River and along it for a little less than a mile, through Chinatown to the Manhattan Bridge, over the Manhattan Bridge back to Brooklyn, and then a few miles in Brooklyn Bridge Park, a gorgeous Waterfront park extending from the Manhattan Bridge, under the Brooklyn Bridge, and then down south about another mile.

Ok I decided to be a tourist and ask other tourists to take my pic before starting my run:

Ok so I saw this in Chinatown and it made me laugh..... the old BJs were just too damn expensive!

And finally, I ended at the Brooklyn Bridge Wine Bar, this nice little outdoor bar that also serves food and recovered with a glass of Merlot, a pitcher of water and a grilled cheese:

It was a FANTASTIC 9 miles!!!!!

As for this morning.....When I was running in Brooklyn Bridge Park yesterday I saw a sign that they do free yoga in the park at 7:30 on Mondays in the summer. That sounded like fun, so I decided to take advantage of my day off work and instead of sleeping in (I did that Saturday and Su.day anyway), got my butt up at 6:00am, got on yoga clothes, drove to Brooklyn Bridge Park in traffic, found a parking spot, grabbed my mat, got out of my car and IT STARTED POUUUURRRING!!!! That was NOT IN THE FORECAST!!!! So what did I get for my early adventure to Brooklyn Bridge Park on my first official day of summer break? .....to drive back home in traffic. Awesome. And as soon as I got home? The sun came out. So I am having coffee, and then I am going to head to my gym at 9:00 to try a class I've never taken before, because all the classes in my gym are offered only when I am usually at work. It is a cardio/strength class. We shall see how it goes.....

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Nice pics!

traci, man, now everybody is going to look??? Joking

Damaris

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice pics!

traci, man, now everybody is going to look??? Joking

OMG Damaris!!!!! Ahhhhhhhh that is a lot of shoessss! I thought my 3 was a lot.... lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Not judging, by the way. People would find my 15 pairs of flip flops excessive. Or 4 pairs of rain boots. Or 5 pairs of Uggs. Or like 15+ pairs of sandals. Or the fact that I almost NEVER wear heels, yet I GAVE AWAY over 20 pairs and have not counted how many I still have. Or my 30 or so flats. Or the obscene amount of purses I own.... lol