Beginners and Beyond

Post from a RA user, please read. (Read 444 times)

runfoolery

Yup!

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Only if all of our posts and dailies are here. Not in the main forum. Out there EVERYBODY has to see them. At one time today, 8 of the 15 recent topic threads were ours.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

eric just posted in the dear newcomers thread.

meaghansketch

Count me in as one who would rather see the social dailies/penguins threads here in the BF and Beyond forum than on the main running page. It is great that this forum exists, and even better that the user groups exist, which seem ideally suited for the social part of the BF.  I also think we should try to minimize any animosity towards the RWOL BFers from the existing RA users.  

Penguin Forever

Count me in as one who would rather see the social dailies/penguins threads here in the BF and Beyond forum than on the main running page. It is great that this forum exists, and even better that the user groups exist, which seem ideally suited for the social part of the BF.  I also think we should try to minimize any animosity towards the RWOL BFers from the existing RA users.  

Agree.
            Supersono99

If we have our own group, as in, the BF and Beyond, aren't all of our posts "only" in this group?  As in, we're not clogging their main thread with posts, but all of our posts show up in this group?  Right? 

This is what I'm wondering. If I stay in this user group, does it "clog" or disrupt previous RA culture?

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

No. This is seperate. If you post in Gen running, running 101, or any thread out there it does show up. They just would like chat/dailies in here and running posts out there.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Look at it this way. I'm guessing they have 30ish groups. Each one has a forum. If each group posted 2 threads in the main forum each day..........chat, dailies, whatever, this wouldn't be a running forum.

Kalsarikännit

Look at it this way. I'm guessing they have 30ish groups. Each one has a forum.

Hi guys. Another long time RA'er hoping to clear up some of the confusion. I saw another poster mention that we have eight forums, and here it is suggested that we have 30ish forums. All untrue. RA has hundreds and hundreds of forums. Go up and click on User Groups. Type in any subject you are interested, and chances are you will find a group. We have groups both public and private based on specific geographical areas, college and university groups, mileage goal groups, trail and ultra groups, triathlete groups, masters groups, groups training for specific races, vegetarian groups, groups with specific health concerns, a streakers group, etc. It is endless. You can belong to as many groups as you want. If you decided that there needs to be a group for one-armed circus performers from Oklahoma who are trying to become sub-4 milers, you are free to create a group. We do a lot of chatting there. The main forum is where we really try to reach EVERYONE. It is a great place to get advice from some unbelievably fast, experienced runners. Except right now. Because it feels that the entire main forum has been taken over. If we seem a little testy, or if the main forum seems empty of the old-timers, I hope you can understand why. I appreciate the sensitivity that has been shown on this forum, and I welcome you to RA. I have met an unbelievable group of people here that have become friends in real life. The best thing is, these people will push you to become better runners. It is not easy to hear, but with this group, when your boo-boo hurts and it is chilly outside, they aren't offering warm snuggles. You will be told to run (a thing that you may have to get used to). Anyways, welcome. (And stealth, you are busting your ass. I owe you a beer.)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

Oh, and one more thing that is considered a bit nails-on-the-chalkboardish around here: feel free to put your name in your signature line if you want everyone to know your real name, but don't sign all your posts. If your user name is Bob, you don't have to tell us at the bottom of each post that you are Bob. We got it.

LRB

Oh, and one more thing that is considered a bit nails-on-the-chalkboardish around here: feel free to put your name in your signature line if you want everyone to know your real name, but don't sign all your posts. If your user name is Bob, you don't have to tell us at the bottom of each post that you are Bob. We got it.

K.

LRB

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

wow, there's lotsa rules here.   Good thing on our own super-secret group we can still sign our names.

Liz

PS.  I've always done that, never realized it was frowned upon.  Sad smiley face.

Kalsarikännit

No rules here. No one said it is a rule, just that it is screeching nails on the chalkboard. Believe it or not, it was meant as helpful advice to help people fit in. Take it or don't. Now I will leave you guys to your super secret group.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Wrigley Girl - please read my response on page 1 of this thread to the original note which I fully appreciated.  If you read it, you will see that I advocated our bending over backwards to not annoy or disrupt the long-time and regular posters here and I still feel that way.  I feel lucky that we were able to find another home where we can talk running etc.  You may even find that we aren't completely parasitic - there are some really terrific people here who are serious and talented runners.  <----not me, but others.       The nice thing about the former Beginners Forum on RWOL was that it was (generally) very welcoming to noobs who stopped by looking for advice, even if they posted inappropriately or without reading previous posts or broke some other bulletin board social norm of which they were unaware.    Elite runners offered advice to people starting c25k without telling how to sign their names.  I was just poking fun at that a bit.

We're nice, we promise. Smile  

Liz

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Actually, I shouldn't speak for everybody - I hate when people do that.  So wherever I had a 'we' please put 'I'.   Except for the talented runner part, I'm still not one of those.  dancing banana.