Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins are Sleeping Late (Read 15 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

Or maybe just not running this morning.

I hope the Penguin threads don't disappear completely.  We need a place for those of us who aren't super-serious racers.  I know I feel intimidated on the daily thread and rarely post there.

I'm planning on 4-6 later.  My rest day seems to have helped a little with the tightness in my legs. It's really windy outside so I may end up on the TM.

Damaris - good luck with your race this weekend.  Sorry the weather sucks but it will make a good story. Could be worse though, we're expecting snow/sleet.

Philliefan33

Ginny, I don't like wind either.

I really didnt feel like running today, but ultimately decided that a short slow run is better than not running. So I did 3 very slow miles in the wind because I was too lazy to drive to the gym to use the treadmill.

Zelanie

Was running late this morning. I did my tempo run last night  (10 with 7 at MP). It went OK, but was hard. I don't know how much of that was metal because I was able to turn it up a bit and finish the last mile on an uphill faster than MP (the other miles had been a tad slow).

My calf hurt a lot during the warmup but wasn't so terrible once I was on the MP bits. This morning it hurt a lot but was much better after I had rolled.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! I'm alive, I'm busy, I'm running. A goal half marathon might not be totally crazy this spring after all, though I'm going to play it by ear for a few more weeks, keep mileage up and just see what happens.

Loving my tutoring gig, very weird to have a dress code though - 7-10 PM is usually strictly pajama time in my world, haha. Job search is going well so far. Plenty of prospects for high school and middle school science teaching out this way, I have to get cover letters and stuff put together and then start going out for interviews.

Docket_Rocket

I don't run in the morning since I'm at work.  4-6 miles tonight before heading to the airport for my next race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We ended up going to the ski trail this afternoon.  I ran 4.2, then walked back to the car with Jim and Ben.  The trail is in thick enough woods and below the ridge so the wind was mostly blocked.  It was a bit strenuous because of the hills (460' elev. gain) but easier on the legs because of the dirt underfoot.

Lauren - I thought you had a job at the university?  Or is that just a temporary gig until you find something you want to do long term?

D - is your husband running the half at Shamrock?

Z - sorry your calf is still hurting.  Is it time for new shoes?

Margo - sometimes those runs when you aren't really in the mood turn out to be the best ones.  In any case, I always feel better when I ignore the Blerch and do the run.

Zelanie

Ginny, sounds like a good run. 100 ft per mile is what I think of as hilly without being terrible.

I have been letting my shoes go a bit longer lately to try to save money. That is something I'm wondering about.  I have a pair that I really want to get to 500 miles, but I've retired them from all but 1 mile runs now (they're at 495 now). Until a couple of weeks ago they were my LR shoes.

From the Internet.

Ginny - temporary gig because my boss is super nice and I have some stuff to finish up. Most of my peers are job-hunting while they write the thesis and have jobs lined up shortly before they defend, fortunately I had some breathing room!