Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES - Guess what I saw (Read 36 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran a slow 3 miles on very tired legs.  I pedaled and pushmowed a lot this weekend, and I can still feel it.

The big event of my run was seeing a mountain lion, which is rarer than a bear sighting in my state.  It was about a mile from my house, and it got a good look at me while I was getting a good look at it.  We both were still and eyeballing each other for 30-45 secs.  I put my heallamp in spotlight mode and really lit him/her up, and have no doubt what I was looking at.  It turned away before I did.  It was neat and spooky at the same time.  Our state wildlife agency will only confirm about 5 sightings in the last 5 years, so I got very lucky.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

RunningOnSand

Our state wildlife agency will only confirm about 5 sightings in the last 5 years, and I was scared shitless.

I think I would freak out. Very cool you got to see it for awhile, though--30-45s is a long time! I'm about to slog through 6 or so miles.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

I would've freaked out about the mountain lion!  There was a black bear sighting south of us which is the strangest thing I've heard.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The big event of my run was seeing a mountain lion, which is rarer than a bear sighting in my state. 

I would love to see a mountain lion - at a distance.  I've seen grizzlies, black bears, wolves, coyotes, even a weasel or two, but nary a wild cat, no mountain lions, bobcats, or lynxes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Seeing lion would make my eyes pop 😮

2mi dirt over bumps

LRB

The only lion I want to see is from a politician. lol

There have been pics on our community FB page of a bear roaming the neighborhoods. Running into that guy would be pretty freaking terrifying.

5 miles with no dangerous animal sightings.

Dave

LRB

I threw myself out of the door for 3.8 miles of pure awfulness. It was so bad that a homeless guy asked if I needed some spare change for a meal.

Cyberic

I threw myself out of the door for 3.8 miles of pure awfulness. It was so bad that a homeless guy asked if I needed some spare change for a meal.

Squirrels, foxes and racoons are pretty much all I see of wild life on my runs in Montreal.

Ran for a quick 30 minutes before driving for over 5 hours. Finally there!

GinnyinPA

I would love to see a mountain lion. I've heard them screaming in the mountains of Arizona and saw tracks in the snow in the Shenandoahs, but never saw any fur.  I have seen a couple of bobcats - one in California and one in PA. I always love to see wildlife, though for a mountain lion or grizzly, I'd rather see one at a distance.

RunningOnSand

I'm about to slog through 6 or so miles.

6 miles done. It must have been the day for sucky runs, b/c mine was similar to LRB's (although no homeless person offered me anything, lol). I did see, however, a tree that had totally crashed down, across the running path. which I found odd, because I ran the same path yesterday and the tree was erect then, and no storms came through since then. 

sdWhiskers

5 easy miles in perfect running weather (compared to that awfulness I had on the East Coast).

My neighborhood flanks several canyons with popular hiking trails. About 3 weeks ago, a mountain lion attacked a small child hiking with his family in the middle of the day, severely injured. Wildlife guys tracked it later and took it out. I do not want to see a mountain lion while running.

Dropped my kid off at his summer camp this morning. I parked outside the elementary school and noticed a shell casing on the ground from a 9mm. Freaked me out a little. I assume from someone shooting in the air during July 4th? This is not a rural area (contrast to my parents house where I heard like 20 gunshots while I was there last week). Debated letting the police know

RunningOnSand

5 easy miles in perfect running weather (compared to that awfulness I had on the East Coast).

My neighborhood flanks several canyons with popular hiking trails. About 3 weeks ago, a mountain lion attacked a small child hiking with his family in the middle of the day, severely injured. Wildlife guys tracked it later and took it out. I do not want to see a mountain lion while running.

Dropped my kid off at his summer camp this morning. I parked outside the elementary school and noticed a shell casing on the ground from a 9mm. Freaked me out a little. I assume from someone shooting in the air during July 4th? This is not a rural area (contrast to my parents house where I heard like 20 gunshots while I was there last week). Debated letting the police know

I would. I mean, what would the harm be?

Docket_Rocket

I would let them know.  At least you give them notice that they might want to address the issue of shooting in the air during holidays in the future.  In PR (and here) it's a major issue and has killed people so they always campaign on trying to educate people in not doing it.  You calling might help.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I had to send comments for my annual evaluation (with lots of details my boss does not like but big boss wants them).  I had to tally the amount of money I had gotten returned/denied from debtor's attorneys.  For a year, my highest result and it was close to a billion, WTF.  That's what happens when you have large chapter 11 cases; the fees are $500K here and $400K there.  But I'm still  and I'm sure I will be asked if it was a typo. LOL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page