Beginners and Beyond

Hey Penguins, It's Thursday Again! (Read 200 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

\It's hard to keep track of the days with these back to back midweek holidays.

I dont get it - I'm not running and i am sleeping later, but I feel more tired. Full body workout at the gym last night - and surprisingly it wasn't all that crowded.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Boo to another Thursday! 2 in one week is just too much, hehe.  Morning Gustav and good morning colony!

Just got back from my 5 mile run.  It was 10 degree with a feel like temp of -3 and it was NOT as cold feeling as I thought it would be.  It actually felt kind of nice since I never felt hot.  The theme of my run was ice, ice baby and yes I busted out with Vanilla Ice mid-run.  My friends I was running with were entertained.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Bin Running

2nd Thursday of the week. What do you know. Haa hahaa

Thanks Gustav for startIng.   Maybe your body is trying to tell you to rest after all your non-running exercise.

Afm, passed my pft with gold std and some monetary award to boot. Timing of 1.5miles is 10:24.  Just a slight improvement of 11sec from last test.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Steph, glad you have a good 5M. Sorry abt the 2nd thurs. haa haa  Ice ice baby is gonna stick to my head for the rest of the day. Haa. I don't mind cos I like it!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins!  Thanks for getting us started Gustav!  Great job on the workout last night!

Steph, 5 miles in 10 degree temps!?  You are my hero!  Have a great day!

Bin, congrats!  Any improvement is worth celebrating!!

AFM, I could have predicted that getting up over 2 hours earlier than I've been getting up the last 2 weeks to run would not happen.  I managed to talk myself out of it because I don't have any meetings tonight so I can run after work.  I slept in an extra 30 minutes and still struggled to get up this morning.  I can't wait to fight the kids in a few minutes -- I'm sure they will be a joy to get up and get ready for school!

So 3+ miles planned for me tonight!  Have a great day everyone!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Multiple Thursdays is only good for drink specials.  Just so you know.  I will say that when I took some time off from running and slept in for the holidays, I very tired.  I can't explain it.

Steph -  Hah...it's 19 here.  We had 11 degrees yesterday.  We're having a heat wave.  I'll still wait until 5 o'clock.

Bin - I always have Vanilla Ice stuck in my head.  I thought that was normal.

Jen - I'm planning to wake up just a little bit earlier each day until I'm back into my old routine.  I can't do it all at once.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  9 easy miles tonight if I can breathe.  This allergy shot has been horrible and I have one arm that looks crazy.

Gustav, I feel more tired when I sleep more.

Steph, nice run.

Bin Running, congrats on passing your PFT (whatever that is!).

Jen, I run at night.  There is no shame in that.

Awood, morning!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning --

Steph & Awood, that is some serious cold weather.  "Ice, ice baby" indeed!  I'm almost positive that I would opt for the TM on days that cold.  My run last night was at 20º, and while I was plenty warm during the run I felt cold for the rest of the night even after I showered and had a hot dinner.

Jen -- Congrats on your wieght loss so far!  It's never easy, but building your weekly running mileage does help.  When I got to 20 miles/week I remember thinking "that's more than a day's worth of calories that I burn each week".

Bin -- Good job on your timed run.  I'm curious...what is your occupation, that you have to pass a PT test?

6 miles done last night, another 5-6 planned for this afternoon.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Two Thursdays is better than two Mondays!

Steph that is COLD way to get those winter miles game points. Haha I love that tou busted  out Vanilla Ice!

Rest for me. I "failed" my test that was going to let me try a little run this morning...if the knee didn't hurt all day while walking yesterday I was going to let myself run, but it started  up again last night.

Enjoy your second Thursday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Friday Eve Penguins.  Short run after "work".  Outside?

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Morning penguins!!

4 freakin' degrees here.

Dr, Appt and then out to run some errands before we go away this weekend for a banquet and then back to school on Monday.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

I'll try to get to personals later, things got a lil crazy yesterday.

5 miles last night, 5 miles this morning.  Trying to take it easy this week (altho last night's run was pretty fast), call it a pseudo taper for my 10k on Saturday. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Morning all,

Gustav, No running makes me feel more tired (and my family says more grumpy).

Steph, way to get in those points for the winter running challenge!

Bin, great job on the test!

Jen, Jerry, Margo, and Damaris, good luck with the runs later!

Awood, nothing like freezing off certian parts or your atanomy to get a run in, why wait until it warms up Smile

Kristin, hope your knee feels better soon.

Dave nice run!

Tori, have fun this weekend.

AFM, was 6 with a feels lie temp of -6.  I wore my face mask and 3 long sleeve layers on top and my new REI running pants and felt pretty good.  The mask would get a bit warm, so I would take it of.  Towards the end of the run it froze.  I also got icicles on my eye lashes.  Itried to get pictures but the melted pretty quick.  So 5.23 in the books and will hopefully go for my first double when I run with my DS (8) tonight, we are going for 1.3.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

tracilynn

Brady, wow thats crazy cold with the icicles.  Neat.

Bin, congrats on acing your test.

I was supposed to do an easy 3 this morning but my throat is killing me and Im stopped up, feel awful.  Gonna try to run this evening after this sinus pressure lets up.  It is 32 here feels like 25 and it will be the same temp tonight when I get to run.  Not too Bad.

Its almost Friday!

~~~~~~~

Traci