Beginners and Beyond

Hey Penguins, It's Thursday Again! (Read 200 times)

His Slowness

Happy Friday Eve Penguins!  I've missed you guys!  With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays along with a disaster at work I only got in a couple of runs after Christmas Eve.  I've also only had a couple of opportunities to check in on the Penguins.  We had a water main break under the floor in part of our building on Christmas night.  It lifted up a huge hole through the concrete floor and brought a load of Alababma red clay with it.  Luckily the area where it happened contained machines and work benches that were well off the ground but the water ran throughout the building.  My area had a little less than an inch flow through for a number of hours.  We're almost back to normal now but it has been an adventure.

I did get in a short easy run yesterday morning and plan to get in another one tomorrow to get back on my MWF and sometimes S schedule.

Gustav - It's good to see you up early and getting us started. 
    Steph - I think I would die at 10 degrees.  I don't think I have the right clothes for it.
    Bin - Congratulations on the PFT.
    Jen - I know what you mean.  I talked myself out of several runs last week.
    Awood - Good luck getting back on schedule.  I did it all at once yesterday and needed a nap all day.
    Damaris - Good luck tonight.  Breathing is important!
    Philliefan - Man that's a lot of miles this early in the year!
    Kristin - rest and heal.
    Jerry - Short is relative.
    Tori - I'll quit whining about our 29 degrees.
    Dave - Good luck Saturday.
    Brady - 6 degrees? OK, I'm done whining.  Have fun with the DS tonight.  Enjoy them while you have them.
    Traci - Good luck with the sinuses.  Mine were acting up last week.

Bill

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, fellow colony members, I did my three 5Ks on New Year's Day.  Then I sat with my feet up for the rest of the day watching football and napping off-and-on in my chair, lol.  On January 2nd I had the day off and went to Lackland Air Force Base in the morning and did a full-body weight training circuit.  Today I am back to work and will be doing a run of 3-4 miles around the university campus after work.  It is flippin' cold here in San Antonio too, 28 degrees this morning was our low and our high will only be 48.  And...get this...our local weather folks are predicting we might get SNOW on Friday.  What? Shocked  I hope it doesn't amount to much, only flurries, cuz if we get snow that sticks, this town will shut down, we don't have the equipment for snow....and since local drivers are not used to driving in it, I just don't want to think about the amount of accidents that will probably result!

Here are the links to my reports and photos for the three New Year's Day 5Ks if you're interested.

On New Year’s Day I completed three 5Ks on the same day.  The titles are below with the link to the report and photos of each 5K. Please feel free to share the link and photos.

Midnite 5K at Fort Sam Houstonhttp://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners#plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3Abb8fc3b9-7af9-4e08-be0f-6bcac71bc156&plckforumpostonpage=1&plckpostid=&plckforumpostshowfirstunread=

Randolph Air Force Base Resolution Run 5K at 8 a.m. – - http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners/5k-2-of-three-5ks-done-new-years-day-resolution-run-5k

San Antonio Roadrunners Cobweb Chaser 5K at 10 a.m.  – - http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners/5k-3-of-three-5ks-done-new-years-day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I didn't make it through my run last night, I bailed when I walked in the door.  It would be nice if I could run MWF and swim TTH, but my schedule isn't going to work out that way, so I'll need to swim MF as well as running.  DH suggested not swimming quite so long -- I could do 30 minutes instead of 40, and I figure I could probably get there earlier, to give myself a bit more recovery time afterwards.  I got back to my office yesterday at 4:30.  Anyway, today is an RD with the chorus Christmas party tonight.  We're running a little behind ...

Gustav -- I find when I'm not exercising, I'm not sleeping as well, even if I'm sleeping longer.  Glad things weren't crowded!!

steph -- I don't know, it sounds frigid to me!!

Bin -- woo-hoo on passing your pft!!

Jen -- I'm having trouble even getting up on time for work!

Awood -- I probably should have tried that gradual schedule.  Oops.

Docket -- hope your allergy shot subsides!!

Phillie -- I'd be cold all night too.  I'd have to take a long hot bath!

kristin -- sorry your knee is causing issues!!

Jerryb -- have fun on your short run!!

Tori -- dress warmly!!

D2 -- hope things are calmer today!!

Brady -- you cold weather people are just crazy.  Crazy, I say!!

traci -- sorry you're feeling bad!!

Bill -- sounds like a lot of no fun!!

Scotty -- glad you had a nice New Year's, and welcome back to work!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Steph, wow that seems cold. That cold here in the south, and you'd just about get frostbite.

Brady, I've had plenty of icicles while duck hunting, but never running, at least not yet.

Im hoping for 5 when I get up this evening. Good night!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gustav, you are probably going through running withdrawals, which may be affecting your body.  Your body is probably so used to running it's now in a kind of "shock" that you are not doing it any more and so that may be why you are feeling more tired, etc.  I read somewhere that just like you have to gradually build up mileage, you should also gradually reduce mileage for any planned lengthy periods of stopping your running, so it won't throw your system out of kilter.  Of course, when you get injured you can't really do that gradual reduction thing, can you, since you have no choice but to stop suddenly?  So you pay the consequences, apparently.  Good luck!

Well, Steph, I agree with Kristin, 2 Thursdays is better than having two Mondays, IMHO.  Wow, that is way too cold for me!  Kudos to you for even getting out there!

Congrats on your results, bin, and getting some moolah!

Good luck with the 3 miles upcoming, Jen.  School?  Your kids are back in school already?  The kids here in Texas don't start back till Monday.

Dang, Damaris, sorry about all the allergy crap you are having to deal with!  Hope everything behaves for your miles tonite!

Good luck with your miles too, Margo, and congrats on your miles last night.

Kristin, so sorry about the knee.  Time to go to the doctor?  Or have you been already?

Yes, Jerry, OUTSIDE run, you wimp, you..if Steph can run in 10 degrees... . Wink   Just teasin', of course, enjoy your run, however you decide to do it.

4 degrees! Shocked  Dang, Tori, bet that'll get your ...umm...never mind... Joking   Happy banqueting!

"5 miles last night 5 miles tonite" is taking it easy, Dave?  You and I definitely have different definitions of "easy", lol.  Good luck with your upcoming 10K!

6 with a feels lie temp of -6.   And so Brady is the winner for being the craziest winter person here! Joking  Dang, Brady!

Hope you feel better, Traci!

Wow, Bill, quite the adventure, sorry about the water break!   Good luck with getting back on schedule with your running.

HsM, maybe you could run around the campus for a bit and then go jump into the pool.   I'm sure you will figure something out.  Enjoy the party!

Good luck with the 5 tonite, Mitch!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' everyone!

I ended up taking an RD yesterday - didn't make the time I needed to to get on the dreadmill at home.  All is well.  Will do it tonight after work.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Have not been to the doctor. I was out of town when all of this started, and going to the doctor would mean taking of work, and coming off a week and a half break I really couldn't take off during this short week. However, I am surrounded by physical therapists,who have told me I don't neceasarily need to go to a doctor unless it becomes a reoccurring problem, gets worse, or doesn't get better.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Jen, Good luck with fighting with the kids..
                  Awood, it's normal to have Vanilla Ice stuck to the head... Sometimes, I get MC hammer..
                  Damaris, good luck with that 9M running with that crazy arm.. haa.. PFT = physical futness test.
                  Margo, Well done for the 6M and a possible 6M today.. My occupation has nothing to do with the PT test.. haa.. I worked in a bank but the PT test is an annual requirement for all male citizen.. Sort of like a national sevices.. We have to take it till we are 40yo or earlier if they think our services is no longer required.
                  Kristin, take good care of that ITB.. From what I read, these take time to heal.. Does hopping on 1 leg hurts?
                  Jerry, off on Friday again?
                  Tori, that's cold!! Take care and keep warm.
                  Dave, Good luck with that 10k.. any goal?
                  Brady, nect time take pic of the icicles while running ala scotty style..
                  Traci, take care of that throat.. Are you starting Higdon next week?
                  Bill, glad the red clay didn't do much damage to you.. what a Christmas you had..
                  Scotty, 3 races in a row is consider a turkey or hat-trick? You did started 2013 with a BANG!
                  Hope'smom, Christmas is 12 days.. so not too late.. In fact, you should be sing " 10 lords a leaping".. and still have 2 more days to sing..
                  Mitch, get that 5M later..
                  Vance, Morning.. Enjoy the RD.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Good morning friends,

I knocked out my 5 miles this am. I think that we are probably finally headed home this afternoon. We are supposed to paint a bedroom and switch the kids' rooms. Currently the 5 yr old is in the small room and the baby is in the big room. This move will probably have  me saying some bad words as I am sure it will be a bigger pain than it should be.

Have a great day friends

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Wandering Wally

Hello Penguins!  Happy New Year to all of you.

I'm back from a bit of a holiday forum break.

Got a good start to the week on Tuesday with a lap around the lake in our city for a total of 8 miles.  Feel like temp was 9F, but it felt great.  I nailed the layering.  Last night I did 7 miles through some neighborhoods.  Not real exciting.  No stars as it was cloudy.  I was glad for the Christmas lights that are still out.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

From the Internet.

Hi all!

Ugh. Now I have soreness on the inside of my left tibia. I ran one single mile two days ago. I'm irritated that it's there at all and sort of relieved that at least it's not in the same place - was anterior before, from a quick Google search this seems to be the more typical medial shin splint location.

Heading to the pool for my first swim in half an hour or so, I'm so nervous Surprised I have no idea where anything is in the fitness center and I hope I remember how to swim!

tracilynn

Anyone want to buy my garmin 110 with heart rate monitor?  Its grey with a pink stripe.  Ive only used it 2 or 3 months, it has 47 workouts total  on it.  Nothing wrong with it.  I need a 210 so I can program intervals.  I only used the heart strap once.  I have all original paperwork, box everything.  I think im gonna put it on ebay.

Bin, I started higdon int.  on monday ( the REAL MONDAY) ha!

~~~~~~~

Traci

I did 4.5 miles this morning! I will do personals later! Have a great day guys!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all!

Heading to the pool for my first swim in half an hour or so, I'm so nervous Surprised I have no idea where anything is in the fitness center and I hope I remember how to swim!

I figure as long as you don't drown and you're moving in a forward manner, it's a good swim day!!  Yeah, I don't worry much about "proper" stroke, speed, or anything else.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

I figure as long as you don't drown and you're moving in a forward manner, it's a good swim day!!  Yeah, I don't worry much about "proper" stroke, speed, or anything else.

Well, I made it one lap, the second half of which was spent hanging onto the barrier in the middle Blush I lost my floatie board thing at some point and couldn't go back out to get it.

My school offers adult beginner classes Monday and Wednesday evenings once the semester starts again, so I'll be doing that for a while I think!