Beginners and Beyond

Hey Penguins, It's Thursday Again! (Read 200 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

I've considered those as well.  I hate to put my face in the water, which is why I can't do a proper stroke.  But hey, at least you didn't drown!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Good evening all, planning on 5 miles tonight after work. And really hoping for a 7.5 - 8 mile LR saturday so I can get back into the groove to prepare for the HM.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Happy Thursday!

I ran the same route today as Tuesday, still very slow, but a few seconds faster than last time. It was -4 and snowing! I didn't realize it could snow when it's that cold, but it can. I'm still feeling crummy and running was no fun, but resting hasn't made a difference so I figured I might as well get out and get my blood pumping! I weighed myself today and I am one pound away from my goal weight, and I weigh less now than I did before my first pregnancy. Smile I guess that's a happy perk of feeling miserable?

Steph - I had the same thought. It was not as cold as I expected. I remembered warmer gloves today, so I was comfortable the whole time. I figure after running all winter with lots of extra layers, running when it's warm enough for shorts will be incredibly liberating. Smile

I'll read/write more later!

Pewpewpew

Awood said I should say Hi. To begin with I have never enjoyed running in my life until my fiance helped me clean up my form. I ran my first 5k this summer and have been sort of hooked ever since. This year we will be racing in Chicago in March, getting married in May and I will be attempting my first half marathon in November. I have a nasty case of asthma and was a smoker for longer then I would like to admit. As much as I can I am running outside even through the Indiana winter. I was playing roller derby for a local team but am taking a break from that to plan the wedding. I look forward to getting to know you all over the coming year and read some of Scotty Dog reports...I hear good things.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi, Pew!!  Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Welcome. There are some great people here. And yes Awood is one of them. Glad to have you join us.

Awood said I should say Hi. To begin with I have never enjoyed running in my life until my fiance helped me clean up my form. I ran my first 5k this summer and have been sort of hooked ever since. This year we will be racing in Chicago in March, getting married in May and I will be attempting my first half marathon in November. I have a nasty case of asthma and was a smoker for longer then I would like to admit. As much as I can I am running outside even through the Indiana winter. I was playing roller derby for a local team but am taking a break from that to plan the wedding. I look forward to getting to know you all over the coming year and read some of Scotty Dog reports...I hear good things.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Philliefan33

Pewpewpew -- can we safely assume that you are Awood's fiance?  You seem to know a little about "us".

Pewpewpew

Philie- Yes I am his fiance Smile

Welcome! We have heard a lot about you!  Nice to finally meet you! Congrats on your progress and the up coming wedding!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Mmmmm...beer

"5 miles last night 5 miles tonite" is taking it easy, Dave?  You and I definitely have different definitions of "easy", lol.  Good luck with your upcoming 10K!

Says the man who ran THREE 5ks on the same day. lol  Thanks!

Bin, shooting for around 40 mins, since my goal for the half is sub 1:30 and this 10k is part of the distance series to prime for my half.  If I blow up completely, I'll at least know what I have ahead of me.

Pew3, welcome to the madness!  Glad to have you in the colony.  Definitely a great bunch of folks here!  Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Welcome, Pewpewpew.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Hngghh. Was hoping I could get away with another week off but it looks like maybe it'll be more than that D: Has anyone else had to take off more than 3 weeks for shin splints?

I had my initial evaluation with the PT today. I have some weakness in my hips and whatever those muscles in the bottom of my feet are, in addition to the tight calves. No running or swimming (not like I can do that anyway, haha), I can use the elliptical or stationary bike in addition to the exercises/stretches they prescribed. I didn't even ask about lifting, I think I'll bump the weight down for my squats and just work on form (he did say I could do squats). I go back for my first real visit on Monday.

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, they wouldn't let you swim?  Usually they'll allow that with pretty much any injury, since it's non-weight-bearing.  It surprises me that they'd allow the elliptical but not swimming.  Confused

From the Internet.

Wow, they wouldn't let you swim?  Usually they'll allow that with pretty much any injury, since it's non-weight-bearing.  It surprises me that they'd allow the elliptical but not swimming.  Confused

Yeah, I'm a wee bit confused. From everything I've seen/read most of the time PTs OK swimming even before cycling/elliptical for shin-type injuries. Maybe it has to do with my other muscle weaknesses.

Singer who runs a smidge

Maybe they heard about your pool performance!  Wink