Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins.. But I felt like it is a Monday.. hmm (Read 187 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jen - If I were an employer, I'd hire you right now.  Enjoy your 3 miles tonight.

Liz - Welcome back.  For me, it wasn't the internet connection.  It was just my mind crapping out...lol  My HM is March 24th.  What have you scheduled?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, guys.  Not sure if it's going to go well because last week I felt off and this one will be an increase but hope so!

Great runs, everybody.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins - I'm on my phone so it's limiting what I can do. Yesterday my wife , mom , dad, and myself went to local bicycle track. There are actually two - a velodrome and a one mile course. I've been thinking about getting into bicycle racing for about two years now. The velodrome is a high speed, high banked race track. The one mile course is where they run races called criteriums which basically is set by time - you go out and have at it for one hour and that's it. Any way the foot hurt yesterday but I thearabanded and stretched it any way. Today it's not so bad. I was wondering if it could be a stress fracture. I guess I'll find out on 1/15 when I see the doc. I so wanted to run just a mile to start the new year off  on " the right foot" but figured its more sensible to wait.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all.  I'm back at work for the first time since winter closing, and my lab is all screwed up.  The secondary air handler crapped out, and the primary one doesn't actually cool anything in winter, so it's 90 degrees in my lab and one of my instruments shut down due to the heat.  I'm just hoping I haven't blown a power supply, but I can't tell until I try to restart it, and I can't try to restart until I get some cooling.  I hate coming back to major headaches.

Grumpy Wednesday here!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Margo, I feel as though I gained but not sure. I would like to loose a few more pounds. I think it will be easier now that holidays are gone.

Bin, I had to look twice too, especially since I went to work on Monday and my gnosis forgot to tell me I wasn't supposed to.

Hope's, sounds rough getting the lab back into shape.

AFM, it's 35 with feels like 28 and I'm about to head out, hope to get 6-7.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, the FM boys got my cooling up and running, which is wondermous.  So I'm giving things a little chance to settle, then I'll see if I've broken anything major.  If I haven't, then I can do a reset on my instrument, and I should be good to test things out tomorrow.  Maybe I'll get my swim in after all ...

I have to give a woo-hoo to Facilities Management -- at my previous university they were useless.  Here, they know what they're doing and do it in a timely fashion.  I'm constantly amazed ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Hi colony! Finally back to work today. Was hoping to get in a swim since the pool's open now, I woke up late so I think I'll put it off until tomorrow morning and do weights when I get home instead.

My shin feels OK after my New Year's mile yesterday but I may take a few more days before my next running attempt - plus I have my first PT appointment tomorrow, so I'll wait to see what they recommend I do. SO EXCITED to start back up again!

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone! Smile

Wimped out with the rain this morning, so I'll be running this evening when it's nice and clear (if the weatherman is right, if not, then I'll get wet).

PF, I actually managed to drop a couple of pounds over the holidays.  I had a lil plateau/recomping period, but now the weight loss seems to be picking up again.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

QOTD:  how much weight did you gain in December, and do you want to lose any weight in 2013?

I gained two pounds over the holidays. I'm going to lose 5 lbs to get solidly under 140.   (I occasionally dipped under 140 last year...I want to make that my new normal).

I'm not sure how it happened but I lost 3 pounds during the month of December and I wasn't running much.  I think it was due to the stress of finals and being sick.  I would like to lose another couple more pounds.  I'm 5'5" and now weight 127lbs so I am at a healthy weight but I felt better when I was between 120-125 lbs and I think it will be better for running.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Tomas, you lucky dog (I had another word but it wasn't as nice)! Today is my first day back.  I wish I had the rest of the week off but I guess it's better than going to school until July.

Awood, the early miles haven't been easy.  I don't mind running in the cold and it's dark and cold no matter if I run in the morning or after work.  But boy is getting out of bed getting tougher.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

hog4life

8.12 miles with a couple hills and a couple faster 800's.

Question; what do you call a MLR? Is it relevant to your shorter and longer run distances? So if my LR is 10-13 currently, would 8 be MLR if my shorter runs are 4-5? I think that's right, but just wanted to ask.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Ya.. it is indeed only Wednesday... what a blooper.. haaa

Bin - you made me check my watch to be sure and I'm half way through my day. LOL

Lunch break here... I've been teaching today.  Nice change to the regular routine.  As for the QOTD:  According to the website I track on I managed to loose 7 pounds on the month.  I'm down 47 since April and I have about another 23 to loose before my HM in May.  Yeah, I'd let my weight ree-he-he-llly bounce back up over the last 2 years.  Let's just say I've reached the point were the pants I was wearing Spring '12 are WAY too big now, even with a belt.   That is a good problem to have.  I've also committed to going, for a trial period, vegan.  Friend from work has been vegan for about 6 months and says he feels better than he ever has.  I've done a fair amount of reading on it and it has some good points.  We'll see... that would be probably next month.

I plan on getting in 6 on the dreadmill after work tonight sometime.  We are going to get our passport picks taken for our cruise right after work.  I'm starting to get excited.

Finally, I chatted with a friend about the full marathon I was eyeing in August and it is a rather challenging course - extremely hilly.  So, I have decided to do the HM in May, stick with just the HM in August, and take on my first FM in October.  That should be completely doable.

Have a good afternoon... back to work here...

tracilynn

Nice blooper bin.  I did a big "WTH is it thursday" too.  Ha

QOTD, I only gained a pound or so which is a miracle because I took 9 days off running and ate 263537 cookies, cakes, chocolate covered everything, you name it.  If it wasnt tied down I ate it.

I did 4 miles of intervals today 5x 400s.  My interval pace was suppose to be 10:20 and when I looked at my garmin connect I ran them all at 9:15-9:30 ish.  OOPS.  It felt "comfortably hard". I dunno.  Ugh.

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

QOTD - I may have gained a pound or two, haven't had the heart to weight or measure yet. My thighs feel enormous and I always gain there first. I'm pretty happy with where I was right before the holidays (5'5"/120), once I get my eating back to normal I should be good within a couple weeks. As a long-term goal I'd like to have slightly more muscle and slightly less fat, but it's purely aesthetic at this point and losing any more fat is likely going to be a huge battle. Maybe when I get into higher mileage it'll come off more easily.

SheCan

Nice blooper bin.  I did a big "WTH is it thursday" too.  Ha

QOTD, I only gained a pound or so which is a miracle because I took 9 days off running and ate 263537 cookies, cakes, chocolate covered everything, you name it.  If it wasnt tied down I ate it.

Wednesday, Thursday, it's all the same to me.  Hope y'all doing great today.

LOL@263537 !!!!  That's why we run, or at least why I do!

Had a hard 8-1/2 mile hill day, with 4 sets of 3 120 meter hill repeats.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson