Beginners and Beyond

Andre Booker Foundation 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports. 

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh -  so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.  J

BEFORE MY START

My 44th race of 2017 was the Andre Booker Foundation 5K held in Selma, Texas, on July 1st. This event supports scholarships for high school athletes.  Small event, maybe about 40 – 50 people. I live pretty close to Selma so was able to sleep in a bit.  Arrived at race location – the Bluebonnet Palace, a popular local area music/dance hall, bar, etc.  – with about an hour to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

I have arrived...

Athlete Guild folks that did the course setup, timing, results, etc

Various participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.

ON THE COURSE

July in Texas, so very warm and humid.  Temp about 78 at the 8 a.m. start time, humidity in the 80 percentile, dew-point in the 70s.  Course was fairly flat with a couple of inclines along the way, nothing you could really call a hill.  Started at Bluebonnet Palace, out on an adjacent road, then a loop through an industrial park – lots of warehouses and business buildings that took us back to the road we started on, and then back to Bluebonnet Palace the way we had come out.  I am pretty slow, so as uncrowded as this event was, it was almost like a training run for me, ran by myself most of the time, with just a couple of people in the same proximity as me at various times. Still enjoyed it, though, and managed to finish at 32:28, which was good enough for 3rd in my 60 – 69 male age group.

Getting ready to start

And away we go....

These two were who I was in close proximity with for most of the course

Here comes one of my on-course companions to the finish line..

And the other one...

AFTER MY FINISH

Got water, did a bit of a cool-down walk, and then found out there was cold beer after too – nice – so enjoyed one while I wandered around taking some ‘after’ photos.

Found the beer!

Happy Finishers, etc.

With my bud, Bernadette.   Nice of her to give a tired old man a shoulder to lean on.

This big guy was in a field just up from Bluebonnet Palace.....yep, we're in Texas all right...

photo 048_zpscwv55lzo.jpg

The race shirt - not for me to run in though...it's cotton...the way I sweat when I run, I'd soak the thing in seconds, lol.

EPILOGUE

Small event, but very nice; well organized – although they did run out of race bib pins for a few minutes, so I donated some that I keep in my car – and very friendly people.  It felt more like a “friends getting together for a neighborhood run” than a race, which was okay by me, very nice atmosphere.  I believe this was their inaugural 5K, so hopefully it will grow as time goes on.  Nice course, very little traffic, age group awards for top 3 places in each age group...and beer! Nice quality cotton tee in the goodie bag.  I would definitely do this one again.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants and were out there for us:  Athlete Guild for the timing and course set up, volunteers, Blue Bonnet Palace for the use of their facility and grounds, law enforcement officers out there for us – and especially during this difficult time for them, as one of their own was killed in the line of duty this week, and another seriously injured; my heart goes out to all our officers out there, and to the families of the victims – and, of course, all the sponsors who helped support this event, etc.  Without all of you doing what you do, there would be no races for we participants, so thank you very much for giving your time to us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt