Beginners and Beyond

Waddling Weekend Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Waddling...  that's what I'm doing after too much authentic Chinese food last night.  So much sodium.  Coffee now, run soon (6-8 miles depending on how I'm feeling), and then puppies all weekend.  Luckily this dog is one of my dog's best buddies.  They've been playing nonstop since 6am...  rex barks sometimes though, so I feel bad for my neighbors.  My dog is, as always, completely silent.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, 5.75 done.

From the Internet.

2 hours 20 minutes in the pool. Started listening to How Did This Get Made? and had to stop at the side of the pool at one point because I was giggling too hard to keep my face out of the water. It's a podcast about bad movies hosted by Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas (Andre and Rafi from The League, if you watch that), and June Diane Raphael, it's really entertaining. The episode about Runaway is the one that really tickled my funny bone.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning.  SRD.  Still a  little sore from yesterday' LR, but really slept well.

We will probably take a long walk later today.

Have a great weekend.

GinnyinPA

I didn't chicken out on the race this morning, though after less than 3 hours sleep, I considered it.  It was a good race, but a hard one.  I went out too fast, as usual, and paid for it later.  I really didn't know how to pace it, since I haven't tried to run fast in a while, so I just let my body do what it wanted to do.  My paces were all over the place, but my average was about what I expected/hoped - 8:34. (My best 5k pace is 8:16 and my best 10k was 8:46, so I figured somewhere in between.)  I got second in AG, which gave me a nice ceramic pot as a prize.  The race was a PR, which I expected since I've only run one 5 miler and that was a very steep hilly one more than two years ago. There were a lot of older runners for this one.  The women only went up to about 65, but the men's AG went up to 80+.  Lots of food afterwards and even some sorta beer (Coors Light) which we don't usually get on our races, but this was sponsored by the Marine League, among others.

hog4life

I got 7 miles total this morning. I got a 5k stroller PR of 24:10, thanks to my buddy Jay that is way faster than me! That was good for 3rd in AG, Jay got 2nd in his AG. Then I did the 1 mile fun run in 7:20 which got me 4th OA and 2nd AG. We had 4 of our 7 Angel Runners place in their AG, so it was nice to see that. Now off to bed for a nap before I start night shift.

Brilliant

Hello Penguins!

Jill, hope you got a good 6-8 miles done.

Jerry, have a nice walk.

PAD, nice 5.75.

Lauren, funny that you can listen to a podcast about movies...it seems you'd need video to get what they're talking about!

Ginny, congrats on the PR and AG award!!

Mitch, that's fantastic that your group had so many AG awards.  Congrats to all of you.

AFM...5.6 done with my club this morning.

Docket_Rocket

6 pleasant TM miles.

sapf, enjoy the puppies.

PAD, nice job on the run this morning.

Lauren, that's a lot of time at the pool.  You are doing great!

Jerry, enjoy the rest.

Ginny, great job on the race.

Mitch, nice job on the 7 and the stroller PR!

Brilliant, nice job.  How is the car doing today?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Wow Ginny - congrats on the AG award =D

Today I'm supposed to do 10 miles.  I am allergic to most dogs and sadly this is definitely true for the dog we are watching.  He sheds and there's dog hair all over by this point.  I'm completely congested and my sinuses are full with grossness :-(  I just took a claritin D and hopefully I'll be able to breathe a bit better soon and attempt these miles.  I'd meant to leave much earlier but alas that didn't happen.  Since I'm in the middle of super allergies right now I didn't really sleep well.

Brilliant

Uh, oh, Jill, I could've warned you about the dog hair...  Good luck with the 10!

Damaris, the car just needed a new battery.  I thought it should have lasted more than 37 months/30k miles.    Our Jeep was in the shop last week, too...it needed a new radiator.  That was actually a bright spot in my week because it only cost $301 - I really expected to pay twice that.

No running for me today, but I'll go to the gym.

Zelanie

We are at the beach. 7 people and 5 dogs. Smile It's a SRD for me since I just want to enjoy the day here. That's why I ran all those miles earlier this week. Tomorrow I have to head back for a training.  Everybody else is staying.

Sapf - Hopefully getting outside and away from the dog will help!

Brilliant- Enjoy that gym visit!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the PR and AG place.  Always feels good to beat all the seniors.

Have a good workout, Brill.

Enjoy the beach, Zel. Lake or Ocean?

4 for me and DW.  Both girls and pittie are visiting today.

Zelanie

We don't have lake beaches out here. Smile  Enjoy the visit!