Beginners and Beyond

Does reading the label on what you eat & drink work if the label lies? (Read 151 times)

• Tea: diluted with fillers like lawn grass or fern leaves

Or brown rice, but then they call it genmaicha Wink

Shakedown Street

BTW, for years people have claimed that "scallops" may be cookie-cuttered stingray wings... may or may not be true.Wink

I have no hate for skate. It is one of the few fish that is easy to ID when cleaned.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

LRB

Or brown rice, but then they call it genmaicha Wink

Isn't brown rice just white rice soaked in soy sauce?  Big grin

Better I Leave

The food industry has changed significantly over the past 59 years. Heck, I can remember when I was a kid going to the butcher shop and seeing the butchers carve up a carcass and dress the cuts for display/purchase. That was the norm. Nowadays, your meats are delivered to stores all nicely hermetically sealed and whatnot.

I remember produce being seasonal. Now you can get summer produce pretty much any time of the years. I also remember when a tomato actually tasted like a tomato. Thank God we grow our own produce at home, but I feel for those in the burbs and cities that can't grow their own produce.

The food industry is controlled by a small group of corporations today. Many of the "appointed officials" in the FDA and USDA are former executives of said corporations...and they're the ones making food and drug policies for us. I wonder whose "interests" they serve.

Along with lying on food labels, companies are also not required to list ingredients within ingredients.  For instance, a container of yogurt may list "strawberries" as an ingredient- however, they are not required to list the ingredients that are included in the strawberries.  We did the Feingold program for a while and they provide a food  guide (different ones for different regions)- they actually have cooperating companies fill out info about individual products and list those that are "safe" (the Feingold program avoids petroleum based products- meaning food colors, flavors, preservatives).  They also make a note of products that include corn syrup and a few other potentially objectionable ingredients.

Like has been said, eating non-processed foods is a better bet than eating things that come in a can or  box.  Meats that are "minimally processed" (though that label is used pretty loosely these days as well).

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

quilt-n-run

I try to do almost all of my shopping on the outer edges of the supermarket too. Typically that's where the "real" food is. I know that even our fruits and veggies are covered in chemicals- but they are better than canned and boxed foods. I bought a can of red beans yesterday and just realized that they have added corn syrup to them. I guess I should have checked the label first, but I thought a can of beans would just be a can of beans!

Two good rules are shop on the outer edges and buy foods that don't need ingredient labels.

I don't count calories, but I know that a carrot is a carrot.  A potato is potato.  Beef is beef.  Apples are apples.  What do they all have in common?  They're on the outer edges of the supermarket.  The less time you spend in isles, the better off you are.

Fighting cancer 60 Miles at a time. www.the3day.org/goto/mbailey2013

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I don't count calories, but I know that a carrot is a carrot.  A potato is potato.  Beef is beef.  Apples are apples.  What do they all have in common?  They're on the outer edges of the supermarket.  The less time you spend in isles, the better off you are.

+1

That's basically the best health/nutrition advice I've heard over the years.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Isn't brown rice just white rice soaked in soy sauce?  Big grin

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~