Beginners and Beyond

Report/Photos: Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 5K..and costumes! (Read 33 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 62nd race of 2013, my 2nd race of Nov 2, and my 3rd race of the week after doing:

Hocus Pocus 5K on Halloween Night  - report and photos: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/f571fcbdfac44836aae9cfbbdc200e8b/resume#focus

Wurst 5-Mile Run on Saturday, Nov 2 - report and photos: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/b4ab78b1d6c442e0a6138b3f71116d84/resume#focus

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This event was held in McAllister Park, the largest park in San Antonio, which is only a mile from my house, so very convenient. Event started at 6 PM.  Someone told me there were about 700 or so registered for this event and I believe it.  I was behind most of them, lol, and it made for some slow going at times on the park's trails, which are not all that wide in the first place.  The course was held on a combination of the park's paved trails and the park roads.  My legs were definitely feeling my 5-miler of the morning, but I just kept plugging along, stopping to take photos occasionally, and eked out a 36:26 chip time for this 5K.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

Lots of people with faces painted, in costumes, some with props, a very interesting race crowd.

Your host for this report, with some ex-girlfriends   Wink

Santa Claus was there.  I guess even the Undead have Xmas wishes, lol.

Mr. DJ playing tunes for us

Getting Ready to To

On The Course

After The Race

Tacos being served up...three choices, bean-and-cheese, bacon-and-egg, sausage-and-egg.

And there was also cold beer to help wash it down. Light and Dark, as modeled by my friend, Ronnie

My friend Jim, apparently practicing his death-mask face.. Joking

These blue tech-tee shirts that glow in the dark were one of the shirt choices participants had for the race shirt to get in their goodie bag.  The other was a sleeveless neon greet shirt.

Epilog

This was the 3rd annual Dia De Los Muertos event and I am on a streak, I have done them all.  I plan on continuing to do them, this one is great fun.  Presented by iaapweb.com, a local San Antonio running event company that ALWAYS does a great job with its events and has lots of 'themed" events over the year.  You register for one of their events and you definitely will not regret it.

Three races in one week, I think I need a long nap now, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

This looks so fun!   How pretty/scary everyone looks.  Some of these pictures are just hilarious.  Congratulations on race #62!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I thought for sure the 2nd half pics "post-race" would show everyone without makeup. (or at least streaking down their faces) But looks like everybody's makeup stuck?? Confused

Definitely a little more "Dia de los muertos" than "Halloween".  (dead-faces)

Randy

happylily

I love Dia de Los Muertos! Big grin I'm glad you made honor to it, Scotty. Fabulous pictures, people in your area are always so imaginative with their costumes! Congratulations on your 62nd race of the year!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

How cool!!!! I love love love all the pictures.....people got so into it!!!! All the costumes and face painting is just AWESOME! Thanks for sharing what an enjoyable RR!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Very cool race! You always seem to have the coolest races.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

BEER AND TACOS!?  That's a winner of a race.  We seriously need to get you in costume though.  All of these cool costume races, and you're Scotty Dawg.  You're not that scary my friend.  Your race schedule is scary, but that's another story.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

meaghansketch

Congrats on race #62!  Love the pictures!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Looks like a fun  race. I can't believe that the guy with the horse mask could have run in that thing.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!