Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

I have a couple of hours to decide whether or not to sign up for the Brooklyn half.  Registration opens at noon and last year it filled in under 7 hours...  so I have to make my decision soon.  This is the race that sent DH to the ER last year, so I'm definitely not registering him.  I'll probably register for it but I'm not 100% sure.  Other than that just some errands to run and perhaps some running to do today.  I'm still a snot monster, but my throat isn't hurting anymore and I'm coughing much less often so I think I'll see how it goes.  Yesterday after work I was way too beat to try a treadmill run.  Such is life I guess.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning!  Glad you're feeling better, Jill!  I have chorus rehearsal tonight, otherwise it's a normal day.  Whatever that means! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Jill- I say do it!  You need some retribution.  I ran a HM last year with a friend over the same course that had sent her to the ER the year before.  We got to cheer when we ran past the spot, then she took off past me to get a PR. Smile

We had a good birthday dinner last night.  Today is just busy with some miles later on.

GinnyinPA

Jill - I'm glad you're starting to feel better.  If Brooklyn is a good race, I'd go for it.  Who knows, maybe your husband would want to go back and thumb his nose at it by finishing the race.

HopesMom - for you, rehearsal is a normal day.  Have fun.

Z - enjoy your miles later.

I have speedwork on the schedule. I think I'll drive out to the county park and do some fartleking. According to FB, they've cleared the paths there.

Wandering Wally

Planning 4-5 miles this evening. Today we're getting snow/rain/sun/clouds so who knows what the path will be like this evening?

Hope you all have a great day!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I've been absent as of late because life has been getting in the way; wife's dad died leaving no will, trust, and unpaid taxes, the dog needed emergency surgery ($$$$), broken sewer line, broken heater...

Anyway, I still find some time to run and I am working with a personal trainer once a week. Yesterday I did my first ever leg workout and today I am sore. Even though I run, there are muscles in my legs I didn't know I had.  A nice easy run should fix the soreness.  HM training starts next Tuesday.

Wandering Wally

Wow Jack. Life has thrown you some curve balls lately. Hope it all gets better soon and your half training goes well.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Holy crap the brooklyn half sold out in an hour. I registered when it opened. I guess I made the right decision?

Zelanie

Of course you did, Jill! Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Pens.

I've been absent as of late because life has been getting in the way; wife's dad died leaving no will, trust, and unpaid taxes, the dog needed emergency surgery ($$$$), broken sewer line, broken heater...

Anyway, I still find some time to run and I am working with a personal trainer once a week. Yesterday I did my first ever leg workout and today I am sore. Even though I run, there are muscles in my legs I didn't know I had.  A nice easy run should fix the soreness.  HM training starts next Tuesday.

Wow, Jack, that's a crazy load of stress!!  Thinking of you and yours ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Philliefan33

SRD for mr. I'll do some yoga later.

GinnyinPA

Jack - I'm sorry to hear that life has gotten more complicated than usual lately.  I hope the running, at least, is going well.  Must be if you're planning another race.  Is your wife doing it with you?

Margo - I hope the yoga was relaxing.

MJ - I hope you got out before the paths got sloppy.  Running in light snow can be fun, as long as it's not blinding.  Sleet not so much.

Jill - congratulations on getting in.  Most of the races I do you can sign up the day before, but then I'm not in NY.

Brilliant

Hello Penguins,

Jill, holy cow, I was still on the fence about that one and tried to register 90 minutes in.  Good for you for getting in!

Jack, bummer.  I've had those kinds of weeks/months/years. Fingers crossed that nothing else breaks.

Ginny, hope you got some good speedwork in.

Hopesmom, hope you had a nice normal day.

Margo, hope you enjoyed the yoga.

Zel, did you bake a cake?

MJ, have a nice run tonight.

I ran 8.3 miles this morning after 4 days off due to this stupid cold.  My sinuses were hurting (why does that make my teeth hurt?!) but otherwise I felt OK.

PADRunner

Evening everyone. 4+ group training tonight 100/200/300 x 5.

Hope things lighten up for you Jack.