Beginners and Beyond

My first "real" race in 10 months, meh but I'll take it. 10k RR. (Read 90 times)

happylily

Congratulations, Jane! I'm so happy to see you back racing! What a fantastic finish time for your return, wow! And so cool you saw LRB!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

I haven't been around that much but here goes.

Background:  I realized about 2 weeks ago that my last "real" race was at the end of May, 10 months ago.  I'd run some longer trail races for fun between now and then but I didn't "race" any of them.  Mainly this was cause due to my 1000 mile move during the fall racing season that mostly lead to this.  The move also lead me to drop my mileage significantly, in fact this month is the first one all year that I've managed to be consistent in running period let alone doing anything but focusing on getting out the door to go for a run.  I admit, because it's been so long I was a bit afraid to race.  Needless to say I didn't have a firm goal this was more of a fitness test than a race for me.

Finish 45:33 15th overall 1st in my AG

So splits,

7:03,  (too fast, I knew it and I did actually slow down from where I was)

7:15

7:20

7:19

7:50

7:29

7:23

The 7:50, this was physical and mental, I think mostly mental.  The most I've run at any faster pace recently was about 2 miles so this was double that, I know I gave myself permission to run this mile crappy, plus I was felling the race a bit in my quads, was it enough to merit slowing down yes, but not this much.  I also had forgotten my coping mechanism which is counting from 100 backwards until mile 6.

Overall I'm good with my race, it wasn't my best but not bad for a shake out run.

Finally, since LRB mentioned on FB on Thursday that he was carbo loading for a race on Saturday I took a chance and asked him if it was him.  Turns out it was.  Wink

Congratulations on the first in your AG and on this time!   You really did super good!  I don't know what your usual time is, but most any of us would love to be as speedy as you.  Awesome job!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race, way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Great race - the splits look good as well!

Glad that you're back in the saddle.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Supersono99

Great return race! I'm going to try your coping mechanism when I'm needing a distraction. Congrats on getting Back to being consistent.

Luke79

Damn good time, great OA placement and 1st AG.  There's nothing "meh" about that.  Grats.