Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 13: Street2Feet 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Full report below.  These are definitely not professional photos - a couple of them came out a tad blurry - but they are free for people to save and share if they want to.   

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2013%20Street2Feet%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 13th race of 2018 was Street2Feet 5K held on Feb 17th in downtown San Antonio.  This event supports a running and walking program for those who may be experiencing homelessnes. Website: <cite>www.street2feet.org/</cite>   This is a very popular local event for a good cause and usually has a really good turnout.  This is the 9th year this event has been done and the only local race in which I have participated in every one of them since this event started.  This is my 'streak' race, have never missed a Street2Feet 5K.  Race start time of 8 a.m. and right before that there was a kid's race.   I arrived with about an hour to start time - so it was still a little dark as our sunrise was at 7:11 a.m. - and wandered around getting some pre-start photos.

With my speedy friend Jim, who finished in 22-something if I remember correctly.

With my longest-in-years running friend, Bernadette, and my sister from another mister, Karen

Some friends advertising another good event coming up:  Harp and Shamrock 5K in March

That dog's look, lol.  He knows I have treats.

Our Race Director Lana

NBA San Antonio Spurs mascot Spurs Coyote showed up to help with the Kids race.

In the start area

Thank you, EMT!

ON THE COURSE

Due to some ongoing downtown construction the course this year was changed from what it usually is.  Actually, I like this course a whole lot better than the usual course - and in chatting with others after my finish, a lot of my fellow runners and walker liked this one better too, so I hope they keep this course in the future.   Rain/drizzle was predicted for this one but it really didn't happen.  It was a bit humid but the temp was a pleasant 52 degrees at start time, with overcast skies and no wind.  This course is flat, flat, flat with the biggest grade being about a 1-foot incline as we went up the cobble-stoned Houston Street. Nice course for those wanting to shoot for a PR.  We started near a Presbyterian church on 4th street, did a loop around some downtown streets that included passing by the historic VFW Post 10 - oldest VFW in Texas; getting a nice view of part of the riverwalk, and going past The Alamo before we finished up.  Very nicely laid out, kudos to the route planner for this one. Very wide streets too, so lots of maneuvering room for all.  I ended up with a time of 34:04. Probably would have made 33-something, but for a few seconds stopped before the finish to get a photo of the mariachi band in front of The Alamo.  It's all good.  As popular as this event is I knew I was not going to place anyway and I was right.  12th in my age group (6o - 64).  The first 3 guys all finished in the 20s.

Passing by VFW Post - a little construction going on.

Got a quick view of part of the San Antonio Riverwalk

Heading for Mile 2

In front of The Alamo; next turn after this was to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Very nice party after this event, with lots and lots of vendor booths, food, drinks, energy bars, bagels, cookies, and more. Very nicely done.  I wandered around with a mouth full of bagel - and I did indulge in having a couple of cookies too - and drinking my water and taking photos of some of the happy finishers, supporters, vendors, sponsors, etc.

Ainsley's Angels, San Antonio chapter.  These folks are amazing.  And pretty darn speedy too.

Done!  And made my two race goals:  finished standing up, and no ambulance waiting for me at the finish.

Go UTSA Roadrunners!  UTSA is the university where I work.

This guy was quite good out on the course.  He passed me and ended up finishing in 31 or 32 minutes or so.  Was watching him on the course and his arm-and-shoulder strength is amazing.  Way to go!  Here with his family.

My new running socks, lol, which says on them "Stay weird!"  Fits me perfectly.

One family of runners

Lana announcing award winners

Some of the winners

My friend Albert 75 and still going strong

Largest participating team at the event

Group photo of the medal winners

EPILOGUE

Love love love this event, one of my very favorite races of the year.  Race Director and my friend, Lana Hernandez, always does a super job with this one, as does iaapweb, the race management company that does the course set-up, timing, results, etc. Very nice quality race shirts, timing chip already on the bib, so no having to stand in line on race day to get a chip (nice!) and packet pickup the day before the race to save some time, also nice.  Post-race people enjoy all the goodies and amenities, very nice award medals and nice trophies for the overall finishers.  This is a first-class act all the way.  Definitely will keep on doing this one as long as I can run. And when the day comes that I can't run anymore, will probably walk it.  If you are an out-of-town runner or walker and ever visiting San Antonio in February, definitely check this one out, you will not regret it.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one happen for us:  sponsors, vendors, law enforcement and EMTs out there for us, all the many volunteers that had to be there so early, iaapweb, Street2Feet organization, and anyone else I may have not mentioned.  Thank you all so very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt