Beginners and Beyond

2016 Evansville Half Marathon RR (Read 45 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

First, let me just mention that I made some big, bad decisions at the start of this race.........

But, before heading to the start I woke up and took Jetta for a quick and easy 2 miler so that she wouldn't feel left out and to loosen my legs. It was very easy, then we got home, I finished getting ready and using the bathroom before I headed off to the start.

I parked a mile from the start and did another easy run, then headed to the bathroom one last time.

They had corals, the first one was the 1:40:00 pace group which began after the runners who would be much faster than that. I got in the front of the 2nd coral (1:50:00 pace), looking back I should have started at the back of the 1:40:00 group and lagged behind a little. The original plan was to average an 8:20 min/mile pace for the first 5-8 miles, but when the horn sounded.... that plan went right out the window.... My survival plan was to stay ahead of the 1:50:00 group.

Miles

1 - 7:54

2 - 8:05

3 - 8:09

4 - 8:24

5 - 8:32

At this point I was beginning to feel it, my quads were beginning to ache and I am still not very good at forcing myself to keep a consistent pace..... that's a lot of mental focus damn it....

I really don't remember when I had grabbed a cup of water and dumped it on my head... maybe mile 3 or 4?? But I think I grabbed a cup of gatorade between mile 5 and 6, slowed just a little but managed not to choke (except I did get a little bit on my fingers.... damn it.

Miles

6 - 8:37

7 - 8:48

8 - 9:37

9 - 9:18

10 - 10:00

By mile 7 I was starting to drag, and my stomach was slowly declaring mutiny... which was worrying me, it was around this time the 1:50:00 pace leader had caught up to me, and then moved ahead and then slowly kept getting further ahead of me...... I wasn't seeing a port-a-potty until around mile 8 and I didn't stop for it. I wanted to walk so bad, each time I tried... someone would come up from behind and push me on.... damn them. 

Miles

11 - 9:19

12 - 10:54

Between miles 11 and 12, I had to stop at a port-a-potty... because things were really threatening to get bad, which added like a minute to my already awful time. I was really suffering, and angry with myself.... my legs were shot to hell.... I hadn't felt this awful during a half marathon in a long time......... it sucked.

Miles 

13 - 8:44

.1  - 8:31

I saw the finish line, I was about a quarter mile from it when my stomach sounded an alarm.... and I just begged God to let me finish without a humiliating memory..

I finished without incident, I didn't place well, I knew it by looking at my time so I slowly walked back to the truck and headed home..... Yeah, it sucked.... I went out too fast and the tires had blown off by mile 5... learned my lesson.

bib number: 941

overall place: 357

division: F 25-29

division place: 13 out of 151

gender place: 104  out of 1154

5k:  not posted....???

10k: 51:28

15k: 1:20:30

last 6k: 37:03

net time:1:57:33 pace:8:59  (based on net time)

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

I'm confused. Why would you have wanted to start behind the 1:40 group, if you were not planning to run at a 7:38 pace?

When I want to run "with" a pace group, I run behind them (guaranteed they will be a little fast) NOT in front of them. 

Do you ever do longer tempo runs? Like 3x2 miles at half marathon pace?  I think those are good for getting your legs ready to run pace.

Nice job not choking though. And sorry you had a disappointing race

LRB

The original plan was to average an 8:20 min/mile pace for the first 5-8 miles, but when the horn sounded.... that plan went right out the window, and I ran like a bat outta hell.... 

Fyp.

That's a tough way to make a living. You need to race a couple of 5ks to get some of that extra energy out of your system.

Half Crazy K 2.0

That's a rough race. You ran a 10k PR, and then still had about 7 miles to go. Not an easy task.

I'll echo what Onemile said. Doing long intervals (or even 4 or 5 consecutive) miles at HM pace is a good gauge and you get a feel for the pace.

delicate flower

I think it's pretty obvious you went out too fast, but I also think you probably just had a bad day beyond that fast start.  Stomach and intestinal issues can definitely slow you down.  Sorry about your tough race, but not all is lost if you learn from it.  Plus any day you cross the finish line of a race is a good day.

<3

Cyberic

Do you ever do longer tempo runs? Like 3x2 miles at half marathon pace?  I think those are good for getting your legs ready to run pace.

I'm all for training specificity in the weeks leading to an event. Getting comfortable running at race pace helps keeping a good steady pace on race day, IMO.

Maybe you could get onemile to coach you online. She could charge you half of what she's paying her own coach. That way, it's a win-win!

Sounds like a pretty sucky day. I will not further beat the dead horse about you going out too fast. You have a Garmin, so unless you were shooting for 1:45, not sure what was going on there. (OK, sorry, horse is still dead.)

The other suggestion I would make, if you want to set another goal HM, is to get on a structured training plan. You're getting a lot of info on different types of workouts to do. But unless you really know what you're doing, it's tough to figure out how to incorporate them into your training, outside the context of an overall plan.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I second what onemile said, and make sure you do them on the road, which is where the races are going to be at.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I had a game plan, but it went out the window from the start. I had a lot of things tearing my head in different directions. I knew a finish around 1:50:00 was a smart way to good and a good PR, but I had this devil on my shoulder... whispering "1:45:00".....

Guess who I listened to....

I'll be honest, I had a lot of stupid thoughts going through my head....I should know by now to listen to reason...

Onemile, speak like you're talking to an idiot.... what is 3x2? Run 2 miles, 3 times at hm pace? If so, not yet... I did only just begun speed workouts back in July and am still learning as I go.

Cyberic, I can't afford a coach... plus I probably wouldn't listen all the time....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Yes, 3 sets of 2 miles at HMP with X distance to recover.  I have done something similar for MP paces 2 X 3 and 3 X 3.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I had a game plan, but it went out the window from the start. I had a lot of things tearing my head in different directions. I knew a finish around 1:50:00 was a smart way to good and a good PR, but I had this devil on my shoulder... whispering "1:45:00".....

Guess who I listened to....

I'll be honest, I had a lot of stupid thoughts going through my head....I should know by now to listen to reason...

Onemile, speak like you're talking to an idiot.... what is 3x2? Run 2 miles, 3 times at hm pace? If so, not yet... I did only just begun speed workouts back in July and am still learning as I go.

Cyberic, I can't afford a coach... plus I probably wouldn't listen EVER.

FYP.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Cyberic, I can't afford a coach... plus I probably wouldn't listen all the time....

I was kidding. I can't offer someone else's service as a coach. But what Dave said about getting a structured plan is the next best thing. And if you're one not to listen to a coach or a plan, then maybe you should buy a book that has a plan in it, and read all about the plan's philosophy. Then you can make your own plan, while following some reknown coach's training techniques and approach.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol D, that is probably true...........

I have that book "Run Faster", can't remember who suggested it on here. Still reading through it.

LRB is probably right, I should actually "race" a few 5ks, maybe even 10k's before trying to race a half marathon. Too bad there isn't more 10k's in the area......... damn it.

Here are my upcoming goal races

11/24 - Turkey Day 5k

02/?/2017 - Hearts on Fire 5k

Right now those are the goal races I intend to PR at, then I am already signed up for a trail marathon, that if winter allows it... I will train for the distance of 60k and change from the marathon to the 60k

03/11/2017 - Land Between the Lakes Marathon

If December weather is averaging between 30-50 degrees, I'll sign up for another 5k if I see it, not the Christmas ones though..... don't ask why.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh, and I didn't expect last night's post to actually go through because our internet had gone down....... it's good to know that it only posted once because I hit "post" like 12 times before giving up.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You certainly know what you did wrong; besides lots of posters told you just to be sure. The question is are you willing to make the necessary adjustments. Way back when, I had a running partner who always went out too fast because he felt great at the beginning of races. He never did take our advice to start slower and finish stronger. What's particularly ironic about that is he was a professor of psychology. Although my last ace was not what I had hoped and I fell well short of my goal, I did finally start at a pace closer to what I should and felt good much further into the race than usual. Of course you never feel good the entire time in a 24-hour race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.